Cauliflower pizza crust

Options
fruitydelicious
fruitydelicious Posts: 664 Member
Had anyone tried to make cauliflower pizza crust and did you like it. I don't like the taste of cauliflower but craving a pizza like food. Not eating flour, so I can't just work a pizza slice into my menu. Thanks!

Replies

• rugratz2015
    rugratz2015 Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    I haven't tried cauli but hav done the instant mash base and butterflied chicken, which are both good substitutes x
  • alfiedn
    alfiedn Posts: 425 Member
    Options
    You're going to get a lot of people telling you to eat the real thing on this thread. I kind of agree! However, I have tried cauliflower pizza out of medical necessity (also not eating grains). It's pretty good! It is NOT like eating regular pizza, so you sort of have to know you are eating a different food. My husband dislikes cauliflower, but does like this.

This is the recipe we use (with few modifications): http://www.pcosnutrition.com/links/blogs/cauliflower-crust-pizza.html

I love it, he likes it. It doesn't taste too cauliflower-y. One tip: don't put all the cauliflower into your food processor at once. Do it a little at a time. Works way better for us.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    OP - do you have a medical condition that would make you have to avoid flour/grains/carbs? or are you just avoiding flour because someone told you it is "bad"..?
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    I HAVE and as someone who likes vegetables, I like it.
    That said, I prefer the zucchini one!

Regardless of whether you want to eat more vegetables, or reduce your consumption of refined carbohydrates. EXPERIMENT!
    See what you like!

http://www.oatmealwithafork.com/2012/08/28/zucchini-pizza-crust-and-wiaw/
  • tho2004_418
    tho2004_418 Posts: 19 Member
    Options

Regardless of whether you want to eat more vegetables, or reduce your consumption of refined carbohydrates. EXPERIMENT!
    See what you like!

That's the exact same recipe that I tried yesterday! I loved it.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options

See what you like!

That's the exact same recipe that I tried yesterday! I loved it.

It really holds together well. It's got so much going for it. Nutrient dense (depending on topics to an extent) and very tasty!
  • mrtorbert
    mrtorbert Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    It's delicious. Make sure you drain the heck out of the "flour" for success. Now that I've been grain-free for a while, I prefer it over the real thing.
  • Healthymom_5
    Healthymom_5 Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    Yes, we've made a cauliflower crust and loved it! My kids absolutely loved it and now request it. Give it a try!
  • ccourcha
    ccourcha Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    OP - do you have a medical condition that would make you have to avoid flour/grains/carbs? or are you just avoiding flour because someone told you it is "bad"..?

If it was causing a medical condition or contributing to one, would that not by definition be bad?
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    ccourcha wrote: »

If it was causing a medical condition or contributing to one, would that not by definition be bad?

Not if someone told her it was bad just because they think carbs/flour = devil....

So no, I don't think that at all
  • ccourcha
    ccourcha Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    You mean like if a DR told them it was causing or contributing to a medical condition they have, you wouldn't accept that it was bad for them (not all, them)
  • JustMe2C
    JustMe2C Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    I've not made the cauliflower crust but have made the Fat Head pizza crust. It was delicious!
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    JustMe2C wrote: »
    I've not made the cauliflower crust but have made the Fat Head pizza crust. It was delicious!

What's a fathead pizza crust? (sounds vaguely familiar)....
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Meh it's not pizza if you have to use cauliflower for crust
    After all these posts, we get that YOU have a definition of pizza.

SERIOUSLY.

WE GET IT.

I was not talking to you..if I was I would of quoted you

Yup. I know.

And carry on preaching your definition of pizza.

Meanwhile. Some folks are looking for ways to ADD vegetables (you know, the plants?) and ways to lower their calories, or carbs, or both, while satisfying their urge for pizza. As a guy who makes liberal use of atkins food substitutes you'd think you'd get that.

Meanwhile. Carry on Ctc!

Here is a novel idea just put the vegetables on top of the pizza...

And please continue with your quest to convince us that cauliflower pizza somehow = real pizza

Which, of course, doesn't lower the carb (or calorie) count, but may, MAY work for iifymm!....

but hey, if you declare it so...
  • jnv7594
    jnv7594 Posts: 983 Member
    Options
    I've not tried it. I want to just out of curiosity though. I remember reading up on a recipe for it a while back, and they said the absolute key to get it to hold together is to use a cheesecloth and squeeze as much water out of it as possible after you've put it in the food processor. Apparently that step can been pretty labor intensive, but it's suppose to make it a better crust.
  • jnv7594
    jnv7594 Posts: 983 Member
    Options

Oh, that looks good. I can't tolerate almonds though, so I don't know about the almond flour. I wonder if it would be as good with regular flour or even whole wheat flour.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options

Ah yes. Thanks. I've actually tried this one. A bit dense for my PIZZA tastes. But is good.

Thanks!
  • EmPenfold
    EmPenfold Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Cauli pizza is one of my favourite grain-free foods. Delish! Even when I've stuffed it up and made it too goopy it still tastes amazing.