How do you get remotivated?

Options
elphie754
elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
I was wondering, how does everyone get motivated to lose weight? Looking for a few ideas to "steal" since I'm struggling to stay motivated.

I have already lost 70 lbs this past year and know I'm feel so much better than I did 70lbs heavier, but still want to lose 50-70lbs more(not setting a specific target weight because I'm going to see how I feel/look as I get closer).

Any way, I started to fizzle out last month. In the past two months I have only lost 2lbs which frustrates me but I know it is my fault. But hey, 2 lbs is better than nothing and at least I didn't gain. Before that I was losing anywhere from 1.5 lbs to 3lbs (yes I know that that is too quick, but haven't been doing it on purpose).

I am curious to hear how you keep your motivation. Right about now, I need a swift kick in rear lol.

Replies

• IsaackGMOON
    IsaackGMOON Posts: 3,358 Member
    Options
    Progress is an addiction. At least it is for me anyways.
  • barbecuesauce
    barbecuesauce Posts: 1,771 Member
    Options
    Diet break.

I also got rid of the junk food--temporarily. I just kept making dumb choices and figuring that if I ate up to maintenance, I would be fine.
  • barbecuesauce
    barbecuesauce Posts: 1,771 Member
    Options
    Oh, and new workout clothes. That sounds silly but it worked.
  • deeasimacopoulos
    deeasimacopoulos Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Lost weight two years ago. Gained it back. Trying to get demotivated. Feel free to add me
  • atypicalsmith
    atypicalsmith Posts: 2,742 Member
    Options
    shell1005 wrote: »
    See, that's the problem with motivation...it can ebb and flow.

So instead I focus on repetition, patterns and follow through. I am basically on auto-pilot. I log my food the night before, I get up, I workout, I start eating the food I logged, I log my water. Check. Check. Check. I do it again the next day.

I also do workouts I like, I eat foods I like. Sure, I am eating at a deficit and giving my muscles a workout, but I am enjoying the journey.

Perfect!
  • zdyb23456
    zdyb23456 Posts: 1,706 Member
    Options
    lately, clothes that used to be tight, fitting well or even loose has been motivating me to stick with it
  • panchango
    panchango Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I put the amount of weight I lost in a backpack and wear it around for a while. It helps me remember what it felt like being heavier and keeps me on track.
  • andympanda
    andympanda Posts: 763 Member
    Options
    I get hooked on seeing the progress i am making
  • elphie754
    Options
    Progress is an addiction. At least it is for me anyways.

I like seeing progress but trying hard to not become obsessed.
    Diet break.

I also got rid of the junk food--temporarily. I just kept making dumb choices and figuring that if I ate up to maintenance, I would be fine.

Surprisingly I don't have much "junk food" in my apt. I was one of those people who didn't gain by lots of chips and stuff. My problem was/is I would eat multiple dinners, and I boredom ate while watching tv.
    Oh, and new workout clothes. That sounds silly but it worked.

Hmm good idea. I just bought a new outfit, but can always go buy another.
    shell1005 wrote: »
    See, that's the problem with motivation...it can ebb and flow.

So instead I focus on repetition, patterns and follow through. I am basically on auto-pilot. I log my food the night before, I get up, I workout, I start eating the food I logged, I log my water. Check. Check. Check. I do it again the next day.

I also do workouts I like, I eat foods I like. Sure, I am eating at a deficit and giving my muscles a workout, but I am enjoying the journey.

It definitely comes and goes. One week I'll be all gun ho and another I try to convince myself that I'm not fat, even though I now I am. I end up undoing the deficit from the week before.
    zdyb23456 wrote: »
    lately, clothes that used to be tight, fitting well or even loose has been motivating me to stick with it

Same here! My old jeans now fit, and while that felt good, it didn't exactly motivate me.

Thank you everyone for the input so far :-).
  • mstuck08
    mstuck08 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Have you found a fitness group to join?
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    I took a diet break. I did it more because I wasn't losing anymore and less because I wasn't motivated. I was too motivated. The only way to lose was starving and that didn't work out, so I took a break. I was REALLY SICK of weighing ten peanuts and 8 raisins, though, lol. I'm not one of those folks who generally just love weighing and recording as they cook or when they have a wee snack, but it was just feeling way obsessive and restrictive.

I didn't pig out. I ate the same (though I had more bread) and I didn't hit Dunkin Donuts and McDonald's or eat candy, pizza, etc. I just ate whatever I felt like eating, sticking with primarily healthy foods.

But I took a long break. When I restarted, I was so ready to restart AND the pounds started dropping off quickly again, just like when I began losing way back when. That was awesomesauce. :)

It was a good lesson period for me, too. Learning about how I behave when I'm not working on it is good practice for when I'm finally done.

I don't think you can pick up motivation. You either have it or you don't. If you don't, maybe a break is in order.
  • elphie754
    Options
    Kalikel wrote: »
    I took a diet break. I did it more because I wasn't losing anymore and less because I wasn't motivated. I was too motivated. The only way to lose was starving and that didn't work out, so I took a break. I was REALLY SICK of weighing ten peanuts and 8 raisins, though, lol. I'm not one of those folks who generally just love weighing and recording as they cook or when they have a wee snack, but it was just feeling way obsessive and restrictive.

I didn't pig out. I ate the same (though I had more bread) and I didn't hit Dunkin Donuts and McDonald's or eat candy, pizza, etc. I just ate whatever I felt like eating, sticking with primarily healthy foods.

But I took a long break. When I restarted, I was so ready to restart AND the pounds started dropping off quickly again, just like when I began losing way back when. That was awesomesauce. :)

It was a good lesson period for me, too. Learning about how I behave when I'm not working on it is good practice for when I'm finally done.

I don't think you can pick up motivation. You either have it or you don't. If you don't, maybe a break is in order.

Unfortunately "diet breaks" is what ended all my other attempts of losing weight. I would end up not going back for months and gaining almost everything back. I'm trying not to do that this time and since I know that was part of the downfall of previous attempts, not sure I want to tempt fate like that.
    mstuck08 wrote: »

No I havent
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    elphie754 wrote: »
    Kalikel wrote: »

Unfortunately "diet breaks" is what ended all my other attempts of losing weight. I would end up not going back for months and gaining almost everything back. I'm trying not to do that this time and since I know that was part of the downfall of previous attempts, not sure I want to tempt fate like that.
    mstuck08 wrote: »

No I havent
    I totally get that. I knew I wouldn't gain it all back and I knew I'd go back to losing. I kind of viewed it as practicing for when I was done dieting.

I'm sure you know yourself best. I think the fact that you already know that you don't want to stop is proof of motivation! You've still got it. :)
  • jaims224
    jaims224 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I struggle with this too. It is my biggest downfall, but really different things motivate me. Sometimes it is other people, I will see how great they look and know that I can look like that too. Most of the time it is proving to myself that I can do it. Also, I have a 10 year old daughter and I would like her to have a good body image role model. I've never complained about my weight, but it would be great to provide her with better.
  • Lourdesong
    Lourdesong Posts: 1,492 Member
    Options
    For me it's just knowing that what is easiest to do is to do what I did yesterday. If yesterday wasn't a good day, I just have to push through and create a new yesterday, today. So that tomorrow it will be easier for me to do that which was hard for me to do today.

In other words, use momentum to my advantage.
  • happycauseIride
    happycauseIride Posts: 536 Member
    Options
    I'm right there with you, almost same stats too except I've been "off the wagon" for about a year. I still exercise buy my eating habits are terrible. Like one of the posters said, progress is motivating. I've started logging my food again this week and started out terrible but getting better as the week goes on. Keep going, it will come back. Maybe try a new work out, or set a goal for yourself and see if that helps. You can friends me if you want. We can help each other. :)
  • enterdanger
    enterdanger Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    I lost motivation for about 6 months. Gaining 8lbs made me motivated again. I agree with the person who said cleaning out your cabinets of certain foods. Some people can eat snacky stuff in moderation and fit it in their calorie limits...my willpower isn't that good. When I cut those snacky, chippy things out though I feel so much better and it makes it easier to stick to healthy eating which = weight loss for me.
  • happycauseIride
    happycauseIride Posts: 536 Member
    Options
    panchango wrote: »
    I put the amount of weight I lost in a backpack and wear it around for a while. It helps me remember what it felt like being heavier and keeps me on track.

Ooh. That is a great idea!! Thanks for sharing.