Glutenholics anonymous anyone?

Options
LuminousFit
LuminousFit Posts: 15 Member
edited June 2015 in Health and Weight Loss
Only the past Few months have I been able to stomach the fact that gluten is literally toxic to me. Ive eaten my feelings since I was a small child, so you can imagine my emotional distress when i discovered one day that gluten (Breads), my number one comfort food. Makes me sick, bloated, sluggish, and actually adds to depression for me. Anyone else struggle as badly as I do with not putting this true toxin into your body? I' ve gone 3 days so far this time around...tips & tricks to staying away from the GMO non nutritional crap we call wheat please? I have the diet info, i can shop for myself. My issue is my acceptance of this when everyone else around me can eat the poison and be fine.

Replies

• cindytw
    cindytw Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    First, find the gluten free groups!
  • bpetrosky
    bpetrosky Posts: 3,911 Member
    Options
    Only the past Few months have I been able to stomach the fact that gluten is literally toxic to me. Ive eaten my feelings since I was a small child, so you can imagine my emotional distress when i discovered one day that gluten (Breads), my number one comfort food. Makes me sick, bloated, sluggish, and actually adds to depression for me. Anyone else struggle as badly as I do with not putting this true toxin into your body? I' ve gone 3 days so far this time around...tips & tricks to staying away from the GMO non nutritional crap we call wheat please? I have the diet info, i can shop for myself. My issue is my acceptance of this when everyone else around me can eat the poison and be fine.

So, are you having trouble adjusting to a gluten-free diet because you don't like the restriction? Or are you having trouble because you have a problem with people who don't feel gluten is a poison to them and don't have trouble consuming foods with gluten?

If your doctor has diagnosed you with celiac disease or non-celiac gluten sensitivity, they may be able to direct you to support groups and resources within your community. I hope you get the help you need.
  • Mellouk89
    Mellouk89 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    It's pretty easy for me as I never eat bread, not that there is anything wrong with bread but i'm fine without it.

If oats are gluten-free then my diet is 100% gluten-free.
  • LuminousFit
    Options
    Yeah, you caught my bluff its more so the restriction i suppose my real issue is self control. My whole life i ate what i wanted when i wanted mostly fast food believe it or not, now my options have been reduced immensly. Thanks for the advice.
    bpetrosky wrote: »

So, are you having trouble adjusting to a gluten-free diet because you don't like the restriction? Or are you having trouble because you have a problem with people who don't feel gluten is a poison to them and don't have trouble consuming foods with gluten?

If your doctor has diagnosed you with celiac disease or non-celiac gluten sensitivity, they may be able to direct you to support groups and resources within your community. I hope you get the help you need.

• mantium999
    mantium999 Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options

On account of the bolded part, primarily, I am going to sit back and watch this train wreck.
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options

Toxic to you? Really? And you doctor was the one who told you that? Or are you just saying that and have no official diagnosis?

Gluten is in more than just bread and they have gluten free bread....

It is not a "true toxin" and most people have no issues with it. I actually have a very severe allergy to foods that contain gluten to the point I've wound up on a ventilator many times.
  • LuminousFit
    Options
    I have a true gluten allergy. Thanks for the advice. lmao
    mantium999 wrote: »

On account of the bolded part, primarily, I am going to sit back and watch this train wreck.

• elphie754
    edited June 2015
    Options

You've been actually diagnosed with an allergy? None of those symptoms you mentioned are symptoms of an allergy.

Eta- there is no actual test for a gluten allergy. It is usually based upon the foods that contain gluten meaning if you came back for an allergy to wheat, barley, etc, chance are the gluten plays a roll.
  • mantium999
    Options

I didn't imply otherwise. However, the implication that GMO crops, including wheat, are crap lacking nutrition is........contentious. And, an allergy does not define a toxin. Many are allergic to nuts, doesn't mean they are toxic.
  • LuminousFit
    Options
    elphie754 wrote: »

Toxic to you? Really? And you doctor was the one who told you that? Or are you just saying that and have no official diagnosis?
    When it causes me pain its a toxin to me. i love how ignorant your opinions are. Lol

Gluten is in more than just bread and they have gluten free bread....

It is not a "true toxin" and most people have no issues with it. I actually have a very severe allergy to foods that contain gluten to the point I've wound up on a ventilator many times.

• Fitmum84
    Fitmum84 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Both my kids and I have Celiac and my husband has a wheat allergy. I guess it is a bit easier for us as Celiac is prevalent in my family, my Mum, Brother, Sister and Uncle all have it as well so family get togethers always have loads of gluten free foods. It is harder for my children going to school but it very rarely bothers them anymore that they can't eat some of the stuff their friends do...they know how sick they'll feel if they eat it. We bake them gluten free bread so they still get sandwiches, infact we do heaps of baking so we don't feel like we are missing out much at all. Eating out can be difficult because sometimes the gluten free options on the menu aren't quite as thrilling as the normal things but there is so much stuff available these days compared to 10-15 years ago!!

If you love bread, pasta, cereal then just buy the gluten free versions of those. I don't eat much of that stuff myself but my kids love their bread and cereal and we have found ones they love. Have you had any testing done? If you go off gluten before having tests done then the tests won't work, you have to be eating gluten daily for about 8 weeks for accurate tests. My daughter had stopped gluten due to issues from it and when she decided she was finally ready to get a blood test she had to go back to eating it for a couple of months first which resulted in her having bad stomach pains and rashes every single day. I would highly recommend testing.
  • LuminousFit
    Options
    Omg I know it's in more than bread. I'm allergic to it. Lmao y'all are funny people.
  • elphie754
    Options
    Wait- you have a "true allergy" but just eliminated gluten for you diet in the past 3 days? Also- you said that you came up with that theory over the past few months, so I am going to assume your doctor never diagnosed you with this "allergy".
  • mantium999
    Options
    Also, your thread title implies an addictive behaviour issue, not the medical condition you are describing.
  • LuminousFit
    Options
    Elphie when you see a gastroenterologist who happens to have an award from the american cancer society, then you can tell those arent symptoms lol. Ignorance is bliss. Youre very blissful if thats what you believe lol
  • elphie754
    Options
    I am not saying that you are not having those symptoms when you eat it, I am saying that it is not an allergic reaction. Intolerance-yes, allergic reaction-no.
  • LuminousFit
    Options
    Thread posting issue lol. ✌
  • cindytw
    cindytw Posts: 1,027 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    I just love how people are so quick to defend eating things that make people sick, in many ways!! Back off people, no one is telling YOU to give up YOUR precious gluten!! And just by defending it SO much, you are reinforcing the fact it IS addictive! No one gets THIS heated over broccoli!!!
  • mantium999
    Options
    cindytw wrote: »
    I just love how people are so quick to defend eating things that make people sick, in many ways!! Back off people, no one is telling YOU to give up YOUR precious gluten!!

Not seeing a single reply suggesting that the op eat something that makes them ill.
This discussion has been closed.