So hungry all the time lately

Options
2»

Replies

• Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Okay with your stats, thats not many calories. I agree, get plenty of fats and protein for satiety. Are you earning exercise calories?
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    It seems like you are eating at about a 40-45% calorie deficit. That's extremely difficult and not necessary if you have 3 months to lose 20lbs.
    If you aimed for about 1900 calories (about 30% deficit) you should feel better and be able to stick to it so that you will succeed in reaching your goal.
    If you found even 20 minutes to take a walk several days a week, that would really help to use some of the calories back up and get you there even faster. But even without it, if you can stay at a deficit and not be miserable, you will be able to stick to it and more importantly, develop new habits that will follow you into your post surgery life, where your diet will likely be even more specific and require further commitment.
    Creating a successful loss over the next 3 months will have more value to you than just the loss itself. It will give you the pride we feel when we accomplish a set goal and give you confidence that you can follow the healthier routine you will be advised after surgery.
    I'm assuming going moderately low carb is a new thing for you too. And there are certain "addiction" feelings associated with carbs in general. It will trigger hunger feelings and cravings when we cut it way back. But they will lessen in time. I think if you eat at a smaller calorie deficit that you will find that easier. You can always cut back more later on if you feel up to it. And you will have to do that as you lose weight as you won't need as many calories for maintenance anyway.
    I wish you the best of luck on your journey.
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,730 Member
    Options
    I was going to mention that you might not need to be in as large a deficit for 20lbs in a few months; but I seem to recall that people with PCOS have a much harder time losing weight.

And it may in fact be carbs in general that have to controlled as opposed to just starches; but, I don't know enough about PCOS.

However the people in this MFP group certainly DO: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/3070-p-c-o-sis
  • sdraper2014
    sdraper2014 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I actually don't stay up late, since I have to get up at 4 AM for work. Once challenge I face is that my "lunch" is at 8:30 am and then I don't get off work until 3:30 PM. even snacking on my break, that long stretch has been difficult. Today is different, though. Today is my day off and I ate steadily throughout the day, but was hungry within minutes of eating a fairly large dinner.

I totally understand, I used to work 7-3 and breakfast was at 5:30 since I took the bus to work and it took over an hour to get there. Lunch was usually 11 and dinner time was at 6:00 when my husband got home from his 9-5. I always needed to snack, but some days I was pretty hungry/hangry and waiting that long to eat certainly didn't always result in the best choices.

Have you tried weight watchers bread? I keep mine in the freezer to keep me from being bad and eating a lot of it, and one slice might satisfy the need for bread, but at only 10 carbs per slice a slice with peanutbutter could fit into the number of carbs you have for the day.

You are on a pretty restricted diet and a big drop in calories, but if that is what your surgeon/nutritionist want, stick with it otherwise it could put yourself in a position where they don't want to do the surgery. My best friend had weight loss surgery and her doctor put her on a liquid diet to help her lose weight before hand and she was pretty hungry to start, but she did say it got easier after the first week or two and she has no regrets about the process.
  • SherryTeach
    SherryTeach Posts: 2,836 Member
    Options
    I will second the vote for pork tenderloin. There are so many ways to prepare it and there is no waste. My favorite is to slather on some Dijon mustard and then coat the loin with caraway and celery seed. Lay a few sprigs of sage on there and roast. Oh, it is delicious. . . very high in protein and very low in calories. For bread, I often eat multi-grain sandwich thins. They make a fine sandwich and toasted with a big or orange marmalade is sometimes my evening snack. High in fiber too.
  • MrsLannister
    MrsLannister Posts: 347 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    I'm going to try making "oopsie bread." I can't have any kind of regular bread, cracker, etc. Not even regular low carb bread. Nothing made with flour. The oopsie bread is just eggs and cream cheese, so it fits in fine with my restrictions.

I went ahead and bumped my calories up to 1750. We'll see how that goes for a while.
  • julie2407
    julie2407 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Some of the things that have worked for me when I'm struggling with "just wanting to EAT" ...Drink heaps of water, chew gum, eat sugar free jelly, chromium (usually not one to push magic pills but I do actually think that this helped me).
  • StephanieKTerranova
    StephanieKTerranova Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Sugar free Jello helps me tons when I feel hungry. One whole box is just 4 g of protein and is quite a bit if you eat it all in one sitting. :)
  • PAV8888
    Options
    You did mention having PCOS and that you are planning on having bariatric surgery, right? I sent you a link to the PCOS group here. You may also want to read this sticky thread: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1448249/diagnosed-living-with-pcos-read-me/p1
  • missiontofitness
    missiontofitness Posts: 4,074 Member
    Options
    BILLBRYTAN wrote: »
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    OP - I am going to give you the following advice.

1. ditch the clean eating it is necessary for nothing and impossible to define.
    2. enter your stats into MFP and set it for one pound per week loss.
    3. get a food scale and weigh all solids
    4. make sure you are using accurate MFP database entries
    5. log everything that you eat
    6. realize that no foods are bad/clean/good/whatever; you can eat the foods you like on a daily basis like cookies, ice cream, processed foods, etc; however, make sure that the majority of your foods are nutrient dense
    7. make sure you hit micros/macors
    8. find a form of exercise you like and do it < not necessary but is good for overall health.

Most importantly of all: Make sure that what you eat is actually food and not some PUFA/WHITE SUGAR, FLOUR,RICE MANUFACTURED GARBAGE.

Create your own thread if you want to post this over and over again across multiple topics. Many would be happy to engage with you there.
    You're derailing threads and are not providing constructive feedback to the original posters.
  • PAV8888
    Options
    BILLBRYTAN wrote: »
    I feel angry that poor people like you have been brainwashed into the CICO NONSENSE and your health is suffering. You are hungry all the time because you are malnourished. Instead of counting calories you should focus on eating the most nutritionally dense superfoods you can find. When your body gets enough nutrition you will not be hungry anymore and your brain will help you to stop eating when you are satisfied. Throw away your scale and be so amazingly healthy, you won't care how much you weigh.

Bill buddy, WTF are you doing on MFP?

Last time I checked people who eat nutritionally dense superfoods, people like YOU, just KNOW when to stop eating because their brain TELLS them that they are satisfied!

Are you slumming with us riff-raff in an attempt to bring us up? Thank you buddy; loves you for it!

<I just don't get it. I mean it is self evident that pizza is a nutritionally dense superfood. And I know that a large is like over 4,000 Cal. And I've eaten one by myself, yet no light-bulb went off to tell me I was satisfied....>
  • vinerie
    vinerie Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    I don't have advice, just wanted to say good luck. Making these changes is not always easy, but it seems like you are really committed. Good luck!