Glutenholics anonymous anyone?

Options
2»

Replies

• LuminousFit
    LuminousFit Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    You all can argue amongst yourselves. Ignorance is bliss. Goodbye.

• cindytw
    cindytw Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    mantium999 wrote: »
    cindytw wrote: »
    I just love how people are so quick to defend eating things that make people sick, in many ways!! Back off people, no one is telling YOU to give up YOUR precious gluten!!

Not seeing a single reply suggesting that the op eat something that makes them ill.

Oh but a whole lot of questioning WHY and medical diagnoses is not promoting she eat it?? If it were supportive there would be NO questioning of that, just HELP. When you interrogate people on ANY kind of diet...you are promoting the opposite.
  • cindytw
    edited June 2015
    Options
    I can bet you if I posted "broccoli makes me feel like crap!" I would never get this heated of a discussion.
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options
    It's not ignorance, it is that an intolerance and an allergy are completely different. An allergy provokes a histamine response, intolerance does not. One can actually kill you and is a life threatening emergency (the allergy), the other is not.
  • mantium999
    mantium999 Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    mantium999 wrote: »
    I just love how people are so quick to defend eating things that make people sick, in many ways!! Back off people, no one is telling YOU to give up YOUR precious gluten!!

Not seeing a single reply suggesting that the op eat something that makes them ill.

Oh but a whole lot of questioning WHY and medical diagnoses is not promoting she eat it?? If it were supportive there would be NO questioning of that, just HELP. When you interrogate people on ANY kind of diet...you are promoting the opposite.

Yeah......that's a long stretch right there. She made odd claims, called a food that is perfectly fine for most toxic and a poison, tossed in GMO for good measure, and began name calling. Of course clarification is needed.
  • cindytw
    Options
    Only the past Few months have I been able to stomach the fact that gluten is literally toxic to me. Ive eaten my feelings since I was a small child, so you can imagine my emotional distress when i discovered one day that gluten (Breads), my number one comfort food. Makes me sick, bloated, sluggish, and actually adds to depression for me. Anyone else struggle as badly as I do with not putting this true toxin into your body? I' ve gone 3 days so far this time around...tips & tricks to staying away from the GMO non nutritional crap we call wheat please? I have the diet info, i can shop for myself. My issue is my acceptance of this when everyone else around me can eat the poison and be fine.

That is far from needing references for some random MFP poster!! She is asking for help with the MENTAL piece!!!
  • Oi_Sunshine
    Oi_Sunshine Posts: 819 Member
    Options
    People are asking about a true allergy because allergies and sensitivities are two separate issues. You likely have a gluten sensitivity, however an allergy involves a response from the immune system and can be immediately life threatening. Here's a link to help understand it better: http://www.allergysolutionsofindiana.com/allergies.cfm

However I have no link to help you with your pissy attitude. I sincerely hope that it is from your gluten sensitivity, which can cause irritability, and not your regular manner of speaking to people. Good night.
  • Krystle1984
    Krystle1984 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    As someone who has Coeliac disease, and a lot of other medical issues due to late diagnosis, people who self diagnose themselves as gluten intolerant wind me up. My experience is they tend to harp on about how ill it makes them then eat it anyway. Or preach to all and sundry how it's poison and annoy everyone... Either way they make things more difficult for people who genuinely cannot eat the stuff! So I hope OP you have had a genuine diagnosis from a medical professional. I suspect you haven't though because you would have been seen by a dietician to help you get your head round this diet and to help with the issues described in your original post...

That being said - the only advice I can give you is to suck it up! If you genuinely suffer symptoms like you said it shouldn't be hard not to eat it. As for others, leave them be. They aren't going to go gluten free just because you have to.
  • elphie754
    Options
    As someone who has Coeliac disease, and a lot of other medical issues due to late diagnosis, people who self diagnose themselves as gluten intolerant wind me up. My experience is they tend to harp on about how ill it makes them then eat it anyway. Or preach to all and sundry how it's poison and annoy everyone... Either way they make things more difficult for people who genuinely cannot eat the stuff! So I hope OP you have had a genuine diagnosis from a medical professional. I suspect you haven't though because you would have been seen by a dietician to help you get your head round this diet and to help with the issues described in your original post...

That being said - the only advice I can give you is to suck it up! If you genuinely suffer symptoms like you said it shouldn't be hard not to eat it. As for others, leave them be. They aren't going to go gluten free just because you have to.

Thank you!!!! You said it a lot nicer than I would have.
  • Krystle1984
    Krystle1984 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    elphie754 wrote: »

Thank you!!!! You said it a lot nicer than I would have.

I wrote it out 3 times. The first 2 were too snarky! Ha ha! ;)
  • tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,459 Member
    Options
    Only the past Few months have I been able to stomach the fact that gluten is literally toxic to me. Ive eaten my feelings since I was a small child, so you can imagine my emotional distress when i discovered one day that gluten (Breads), my number one comfort food. Makes me sick, bloated, sluggish, and actually adds to depression for me. Anyone else struggle as badly as I do with not putting this true toxin into your body? I' ve gone 3 days so far this time around...tips & tricks to staying away from the GMO non nutritional crap we call wheat please? I have the diet info, i can shop for myself. My issue is my acceptance of this when everyone else around me can eat the poison and be fine.

I wish more people focused on your actual question instead of questioning you. I'd like to hear more real replies, because I also have a hard time accepting the medical issues I deal with. If I let myself think about it, I get frustrated, even angry. So I try not to think about it too much, and focus on what I can do. For you, focus on making the meals you can eat amazing. Get a cookbook on gluten free cooking. Maybe join a group (I don't know if there's one on here, there must be) so you can talk to other people dealing with the same issue.
  • barbecuesauce
    barbecuesauce Posts: 1,779 Member
    Options

+1. I don't have celiac but I do have a food allergy and have heard grown adults claiming they're allergic to stuff they don't like. Ugh.

OP--I don't know what to tell you. I've never been on a ventilator as you have (many times, you said), but my reaction was severe enough that I am not struggling with avoiding a food I once loved. Work with a dietitian, read labels, don't envy the people who don't have to jump through hoops to eat.
  • elphie754
    Options

+1. I don't have celiac but I do have a food allergy and have heard grown adults claiming they're allergic to stuff they don't like. Ugh.

OP--I don't know what to tell you. I've never been on a ventilator as you have (many times, you said), but my reaction was severe enough that I am not struggling with avoiding a food I once loved. Work with a dietitian, read labels, don't envy the people who don't have to jump through hoops to eat.

I was the one who has been on a ventilator, not the op. The quotes just got all messed though lol.
  • JustSomeEm
    JustSomeEm Posts: 20,197 MFP Moderator
    Options
    194d1352567192-just-say-no-bad-local-search-engine-woman_banging_her_head_on_desk.gif

Hey guys, this thread has been cleaned up and closed, because I suspect there is no saving it from future derail. In future discussions please keep all replies civil, polite and all that jazz.

Community Guidelines located HERE.
This discussion has been closed.