For the anxiety disorder sufferers, hope my story/tips help you! You're not alone

Options
I have anxiety disorder for the last 3 years, started with having my first vodka and coke, didn't go so well, next day I woke up feeling weird and horrible, like anxious. Was scary as I didn't know what was happening to me, eventually it got so bad I thought i couldn't breathe properly, rang an ambulance eventually they told me I had anxiety, they gave me medication, I took a tab and my mind told me no as its making me worse, all I could think about was negative thoughts, my breathing (the worst is thinking about the breathing) I lost appetite, was bed bound for weeks, didn't want my child near me or my partner. I just wanted to die and get over this horrible feeling. Eventually I started to look into this illness and see what I could do. I started thinking about my little girl and wanted her near me, I put cartoons on her and immediately the cartoons were making me a little bit better, I'm guessing because it's colourful and "happy" I researched more on the Internet and found out being distracted helped, so I watched TV, played games etc. started helping me. Eventually I got up from my bed and started doing dishes etc. months down the line I learned enough and my anxiety slowly git easier to deal with.. It's been one heck of a long journey to get where I am now, I consider myself 90% cured from anxiety. The other 10% is still there niggling away at me but it's copable. I did this all by myself without the help of medicine, I had help from my partner and child. They kept me going! I'm going to give you guys the tips I used to get so much better..

✔️don't watch horrors/ any negative films, world ending etc!
✔️do not eat too much junk food, eat healthy!
✔️think positive thoughts!
✔️join groups with people in the same situation etc
✔️there is nothing wrong with you, your brain is just over reacting, you're not going to die!
✔️drink lots of water! (I don't right now, but I did when I was bad)
✔️have a fan blowing air in your face!
✔️keep your mind busy, play games, go out for walks!
✔️stay away from alcohol!
✔️do not drink caffeine!
✔️learn to live with the illness, you are better than this illness, accept it!

Just by changing some things in my life, I live a lot easier and better, I feel like normal again! I actually manage a horror movie now and again! Sometimes I can feel the anxiety watching horrors though but if that happens, I turn it off and watch a comedy instead, helps a lot. I've been through this, I know what it's like and I'm proud of myself for getting this far and realising I'll never be cured of anxiety, I accept it now. I hope I can help someone suffering. You're not alone!

Replies

• Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,834 Member
    Options
    <3
  • BigMamaLynsey
    BigMamaLynsey Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • dizzzigrl
    dizzzigrl Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    That's great that you are able to get it under control! Have you tried yoga? I used to have panic attacks but I am able to get them under control most of the time with a little yoga.
  • liverbird32
    liverbird32 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I also suffer with anxiety and panic attacks since my partner was killed in an rta I used to be so bubbly and loved life now I live in constant fear of what could happen to my kids people say what's the worse that can happen well that they die I don't sleep and if I dream about him I'm so gutted when I wake up I use food and alcohol to try make me feel better but of course you feel worse I've put my life on hold since he died and I feel I'm just existing not living its been 12 years and my boys need me but I don't know how to get myself up and motivated....I feel like a lost cause
  • BigMamaLynsey
    Options
    Everyday when I'm outside taking my little girl to school I a little anxious because I over think, I keep thinking someone will grab her and take her away. It's another thing anxiety causes.. To over think. I guess the good thing about that is I'm always cautious when I'm out with her. I'm more aware of my surroundings. It's an advantage. Life can be unfair
  • gothicfires
    gothicfires Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    I have a social anxiety disorder. Medication helps but the only true way to conquer them is threw them. For my specific issue it was easier when I could drive and lived in a city but it's not much different being online. I force myself to be social. It is never easy. Many times it is down right terrifying but If i don't do it I won't have any social interaction at all and I will miss out on knowing great people and having a few friends. Of course there are times when I fail. There are times when I fail badly. But I face those emotions head on and try again another time. If you know you have an anxiety disorder then you know your first reaction to something is most likely to be the wrong one. You have the choice to overcome the first reaction and go with the second. Your brain can be retrained to function somewhat normally. It just takes work and repetition.
  • happygalah
    happygalah Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    I've had GAD for years. I tried to solve it without meds but I really needed them and I am sooooo much better now. I don't watch the news. I don't listen to negative people. I meditate and exercise.
  • lollye51
    lollye51 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Hi.
    Sorry that you feel this way. You don't know but we have similar backgrounds, partner sudden death,three boys etc. If you need some support send me friend request.

• lollye51
    lollye51 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    lollye51 wrote: »
    Hi.
    Sorry that you feel this way. You don't know but we have similar backgrounds, partner sudden death,three boys etc. If you need some support send me friend request.
    This is to Liverbird32.
  • BigMamaLynsey
    Options
    I've noticed people seem to be sticking with medication, everyone's different, my mind told me not to take and I've been doing well without them, I don't want to rely on medication the rest of my life, I'd rather my own body take care of me. If I was to go bad again one day and I couldn't get better, I'd prob go to medication as last resort. But I don't believe I'll ever be that bad again. I've been staying well for the last 2 years now and plan to keep it that way. :)
  • BigMamaLynsey
    Options
    X