Does anyone else not own or rarely use scales?

Options
That's it, really! I weigh in at six monthly or annual check ups but never between times. I don't own scales and never have. I think I'd tend towards an unhealthy weighing obsession if I did! I prefer to go intuitively and pay more attention to increasing exercise ability than anything. Anyone else?

Replies

• yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options
    Increase exercise usually follows by increase in calorie intake. I never seeing someone only weight themselves twice a year. Your plans sounds very stress free. It also sounds like you waste a lot of time. Some people do have timelines on when they like to achieve there goal.
  • DemoraFairy
    DemoraFairy Posts: 1,806 Member
    Options
    I tried that once, decided to go by how I felt, how clothes felt, and how I looked in the mirror. I felt like I was staying the same (which is what I was aiming for), I looked the same in the mirror and clothes fitted the same. Next time I weighed myself, I'd gained 20lbs. So yeah, I'm definitely not ditching the scales again, they're all I can go by.

But there are plenty of people here that do go without the scales and rely on other things, I don't think it's that unusual. I'd quite like to be able to do that, but I just can't tell when my weight changes without using scales.
  • veevee1950
    veevee1950 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I weigh every day and always have. that's not to say that I don't put on weight, but at least I know how much and try to stop before doing too much damage.
  • stargirl85
    stargirl85 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I rarely weigh myself. But if I did just a bit more I would have been more of the weight I was putting on in the past. I just never weighed myself much. I fear it a bit! And I don't want to see I've lost one pound cos one pound can depend on if you've drunk a bit more or something. And I don't want to weigh myself at that time of the month either cos it might not be a true reading.
  • beemerphile1
    beemerphile1 Posts: 1,710 Member
    Options
    A scale is just a tool, it is nothing to fear. :)

If you want to pound a nail, you use a hammer. If you want to track weight loss, a scale is the simplest tool to use.
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    I have found the bathroom scales an even more useful tool than kitchen scales. I understand people who dont wnat to weigh and its what suits your personality (obssession), but to me the scales give me data and as long as I deal with the fluctuations, then they also give me peace of mind that i havent strayed. Consider if your refulsal to use them is not some form of denial. I use other methods as well. Increased exercise ability is mot a measure of weight loss.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    I didn't weigh myself more than occasionally for 32 years. That's what got me here.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,986 Member
    Options
    I've lost weight several times in my life without scales. At this point, however, I need to be more mindful, and weighing myself and weighing my food helps me with mindfulness.
  • whirlygig60
    whirlygig60 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself on the 1st of every month. It's a happy medium between the two worlds.
  • karlschaeffer
    karlschaeffer Posts: 1,505 Member
    Options
    I haven't got on a scale since I've been on "maintenance". I watch how my clothes fit, and go from there. seems to work for me. May not work for other folks. Yes, as beemerphile1 says, a scale is a tool; however, I see people tracking weight loss to the tenth of a pound. Seeing as how a person's weight can fluctuate over a several pound range in a 24 hour period, I find that obsession with watching the scale as much or more as a waste of time, than what yopeep025 talks about in his post. There are a range of tools out there. Each individual has to find what works for them to help achieve and maintain a healthy lifestyle. And sometimes what a person choices won't necessarily seem rational to other folks.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    That's it, really! I weigh in at six monthly or annual check ups but never between times. I don't own scales and never have. I think I'd tend towards an unhealthy weighing obsession if I did! I prefer to go intuitively and pay more attention to increasing exercise ability than anything. Anyone else?

I weigh once a week only. I take measurements and pictures once a month. I try on my test jeans once a month.
    In the past, I have gone long periods of time without weighing myself. My weight didn't change much but I wasn't tracking my calorie intake either.
    I don't think weighing daily or weekly is necessary to lose weight if you stick to your calorie goal. Getting regular feedback on progress in some form or another can be helpful but it doesn't have to be the scale.
    Are you tracking your calorie intake or is that also intuitive?
  • rushfive
    rushfive Posts: 603 Member
    Options
    Didn't use one for years...but when the pant size went up again I stepped on the scale and went wow !!! Got to do something about this. Never dieted before upper 40's (yrsold) hit. Funny thing is I associated the word diet with "what you eat" not "weight loss".
    Now I step on the scale maybe twice a week, till I hit my goal, then go back to just how my clothes fit.
  • tedioustrainingap
    tedioustrainingap Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    999tigger wrote: »
    I have found the bathroom scales an even more useful tool than kitchen scales. I understand people who dont wnat to weigh and its what suits your personality (obssession), but to me the scales give me data and as long as I deal with the fluctuations, then they also give me peace of mind that i havent strayed. Consider if your refulsal to use them is not some form of denial. I use other methods as well. Increased exercise ability is mot a measure of weight loss.

Good point! I've always been a habitual scale non-user though and have spent most of my life at the lower end of my bmi scale (according to my gp!). So, although I'm heavier now (hence being here) I really think it's more habit based than anything else.

Lounmoun wrote: »

I weigh once a week only. I take measurements and pictures once a month. I try on my test jeans once a month.
    In the past, I have gone long periods of time without weighing myself. My weight didn't change much but I wasn't tracking my calorie intake either.
    I don't think weighing daily or weekly is necessary to lose weight if you stick to your calorie goal. Getting regular feedback on progress in some form or another can be helpful but it doesn't have to be the scale.

That's always been intuitive too. My weight gain was due to known side effects of a medication - appetite stimulation and insulin resistance. I had no choice but to be on it but now I'm not, I can reclaim myself, hopefully! I am following my calorie intake now and to be honest, I struggle to meet my targets. It is good to be learning more about proper nutrition through mfp though and how to meet my nutrient quotas (and what they are!).

Loads of interesting responses above. Thanks for sharing :)

• tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,446 Member
    Options
    Once every week or two. My subjective sense of myself isn't always a truth-teller.
    A scale is just a tool, it is nothing to fear. :)

If you want to pound a nail, you use a hammer. If you want to track weight loss, a scale is the simplest tool to use.

This - it's just information to use, no need to get emotional about it.
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options

Good point! I've always been a habitual scale non-user though and have spent most of my life at the lower end of my bmi scale (according to my gp!). So, although I'm heavier now (hence being here) I really think it's more habit based than anything else.

That's always been intuitive too. My weight gain was due to known side effects of a medication - appetite stimulation and insulin resistance. I had no choice but to be on it but now I'm not, I can reclaim myself, hopefully! I am following my calorie intake now and to be honest, I struggle to meet my targets. It is good to be learning more about proper nutrition through mfp though and how to meet my nutrient quotas (and what they are!).

So there was no way for you to stop the side effect even knowing they could happen? Or at least prepare for the appetite increase?
  • sabrinacrandall
    sabrinacrandall Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I personally don't own a scale. Although there is one at the gym that I use every Monday to keep tabs on my weight. Prior to about 5 weeks ago though I hadn't weighed myself in over a year. When I did I realized I'd gained about 7 pounds. That was when I decided it was time to keep tighter track.
  • tedioustrainingap
    tedioustrainingap Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    yopeeps025 wrote: »

So there was no way for you to stop the side effect even knowing they could happen? Or at least prepare for the appetite increase?

Probably not. However, I don't think I've complained about the weight gain, have I? My point was that a medication altered the way my body processed fuel. I didn't mind gaining weight in order to be well and I don't mind shifting it now, in order to be healthy :)
  • tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,446 Member
    Options
    yopeeps025 wrote: »

Probably not. However, I don't think I've complained about the weight gain, have I? My point was that a medication altered the way my body processed fuel. I didn't mind gaining weight in order to be well and I don't mind shifting it now, in order to be healthy :)

Awesome attitude :)