Local restaurant... no nutritional information.... Please help!

Options
2»

Replies

• emtjmac
    emtjmac Posts: 1,320 Member
    Options
    You can estimate but it may not be accurate. Don't obsess about it, have a nice time at lunch and do your best to log what you think you ate and move on.
  • agal129
    agal129 Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    257_Lag wrote: »
    It's situations like this that you have to use the SWAG method of calculation. (Scientific Wild *kitten* Guess)
    That's funny!
  • pepperpat64
    pepperpat64 Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    It may be too late now, but for future reference, ask the server who supplies their foods. It may very well be a big distributor like U.S. Foods, which is in the database. Failing that, find a chain that has a similar item and use their nutrition counts. I used to agonize over figuring out non-chain restaurant meals to the point where I just didn't enjoy eating out anymore, and that sucked. I finally decided not to worry about it so much, because as long as I was careful with my other meals that day and the rest of the week, being off-target for one meal wasn't that big of an issue.
  • atypicalsmith
    atypicalsmith Posts: 2,742 Member
    Options
    It's situations like this that you have to use the SWAG method of calculation. (Scientific Wild *kitten* Guess)

Wrap 100
    Chicken 150
    Provolone 150
    Sauce? 100
    Onions and Mushrooms next to nothing
    Butter or oil on the grill 50

Enjoy it, log 550 and try and not make it an everyday occurrence ;)

Actually, log it at 1100 calories because restaurants have a way of pumping extra calories in their food. Whenever I eat out, no matter how few calories it should have, I assume it's 1200 and I'm probably underestimating.
  • punkrockgoth
    punkrockgoth Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    Sometimes I find a similar item in the database and log that, sometimes I will estimate portion sizes for everything and log it like that. For anything in a restauraunt (except for like plain garden salad), I automatically add a tbsp of canola oil. Then I do my best to guess. For example, last night I went out for crepes and bubble tea. I logged the bubble tea as a pina colada smoothie and added cooked tapioca bubbles. I guessed the serving size of each ingredient and added a bit more to my estimation. Except for dressings. I doubled that estimation. My supper was 1600 calories according to my log. I'd rather be wrong by overestimating and seeing red on my diary than underestimating and finding a way to make the numbers fit. Whether your log is accurate or not, calories in/calories out still applies and it still brings awareness to how much energy you're consuming.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options

Wrap 100
    Chicken 150
    Provolone 150
    Sauce? 100

Wrap is definitely not 100. More like 200-300.
  • tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,446 Member
    Options
    Mr_Knight wrote: »
    a_manda wrote: »
    The Crank (a wrap)- Chicken Cheesesteak with bacon, grilled onions, portabellas, provolone & creamy No.9 sauce (without the bacon, sauce on the side) and a small garden salad. But I have no idea how to count the calories for this.... anybody have any suggestions?

800+

Yeah agree
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    Options
    BZAH10 wrote: »
    slaite1 wrote: »
    BFDeal wrote: »
    Thank you guys. This isn't an every day thing for me but the further along on this journey I go the better I will (hopefully) get at navigating situations like this. This is the first time since starting my journey that I've gone somewhere and not stuck to a pretty simple grilled chicken salad.

I just want to be able to go out with my friends and be able to have some sort of plan and not feeling like I can only order salads and veggies. I want to be able to fit things like this into my calorie allowance so that on the few occasions it happens I can log and keep moving with my day.

I used to do the same, salads or "healthy" options. Now I get what I want and either enjoy it bc it's a rare treat or just eat half.

How rare of a treat? I point it out in a lot of the "how do I go out to eat at places without info" threads that the real answer is "just don't go out to eat as much." People will swear that I'm wrong but then you'll see successful people either say they a) order very plain aka boring or b) say they don't eat out often.

If in eating out often then I stick to plain food, request no oil, etc so that the margin of error is smaller. In general I find it easier to make my own food when I'm losing since I have more control. But I've lost eating out fairly often.

If it's a special treat and I'm actively losing I try to get something I will enjoy but eat a smaller portion and maybe do as the OP did and get sauce, etc on the side. That way I enjoy a treat but don't waste 100's of calories on something I don't really want.

It I'm maintaining and it's an occasional treat (1x a month or so I guess) than I get whatever I want and eat it all if I so desire. But, again, it's a treat. Even a big blow out is not the end of the world if it's a rarity.

Agreed. It's all about balance and the big picture overall.

Great way to put it! :)

I was just reading an article about labeling they plan to do laws on to show nutritional data. Vending machines, 7-11 type shops where they make food there etc. I also was reading in that article that only chains that have 20 or more stores actually have to show their nutrition info currently. A bit confusing trying to figure out local but I'm with a number of you, I over estimate and try not to stress as it's not an everyday thing. :)
  • slaite1
    slaite1 Posts: 1,307 Member
    Options
    Thank you guys. This isn't an every day thing for me but the further along on this journey I go the better I will (hopefully) get at navigating situations like this. This is the first time since starting my journey that I've gone somewhere and not stuck to a pretty simple grilled chicken salad.

I just want to be able to go out with my friends and be able to have some sort of plan and not feeling like I can only order salads and veggies. I want to be able to fit things like this into my calorie allowance so that on the few occasions it happens I can log and keep moving with my day.

I used to do the same, salads or "healthy" options. Now I get what I want and either enjoy it bc it's a rare treat or just eat half.

How rare of a treat? I point it out in a lot of the "how do I go out to eat at places without info" threads that the real answer is "just don't go out to eat as much." People will swear that I'm wrong but then you'll see successful people either say they a) order very plain aka boring or b) say they don't eat out often.

If in eating out often then I stick to plain food, request no oil, etc so that the margin of error is smaller. In general I find it easier to make my own food when I'm losing since I have more control. But I've lost eating out fairly often.

If it's a special treat and I'm actively losing I try to get something I will enjoy but eat a smaller portion and maybe do as the OP did and get sauce, etc on the side. That way I enjoy a treat but don't waste 100's of calories on something I don't really want.

It I'm maintaining and it's an occasional treat (1x a month or so I guess) than I get whatever I want and eat it all if I so desire. But, again, it's a treat. Even a big blow out is not the end of the world if it's a rarity.

Thanks for the reply. This is kind of inline with my theory on the subject. I just wish more people actually came out and said this instead of swearing up and down nothing has changed. "You can still eat out!!" Yeah, technically but that comes with a bunch of disclaimers. It's kind of a bummer really. What's the point of busting your butt to be so fit if you can't even have Chinese food once a week (again, I know you can get boring streamed whatever with no sauce but why bother?).

Priorities.

And I look at it differently. I think it's awesome that I can be very fit and STILL have Chinese food once a month or so. I'd rather have it less often-and be in shape, than all the time-and be overweight.
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,939 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options

Thanks for the reply. This is kind of inline with my theory on the subject. I just wish more people actually came out and said this instead of swearing up and down nothing has changed. "You can still eat out!!" Yeah, technically but that comes with a bunch of disclaimers. It's kind of a bummer really. What's the point of busting your butt to be so fit if you can't even have Chinese food once a week (again, I know you can get boring streamed whatever with no sauce but why bother?).

Priorities.

And I look at it differently. I think it's awesome that I can be very fit and STILL have Chinese food once a month or so. I'd rather have it less often-and be in shape, than all the time-and be overweight.

Yeah but can one be in shape and have it once a week LOL. I think of it like money. What's the point of being rich and having tons of money if you're always working and can never spend it? Same thought process for me I guess.

Sorry BFDeal, I am with Slaite on this.

I guess it may depend on where each of us comes from.

If I am trying to maintain five vanity pounds and it affects my daily living to do so, then maybe it is appropriate to question my priorities

If i am trying to achieve, or maintain, a hundred pound plus loss, reducing the frequency of eating certain types of foods, or modifying how I order, or cooking with less to no oil most of the time is not, in my opinion, that big of a price to pay.
  • wizzybeth
    wizzybeth Posts: 3,578 Member
    Options

Wrap 100
    Chicken 150
    Provolone 150
    Sauce? 100

I would estimate much higher. Wraps can be a few hundred calories just by themselves. The bacon can be 50-100 per piece. If it's a chicken "cheesesteak" it might be coveted in oil when it's put on the grill-top. Sauces are notoriously high.

Sandwiches at restaurants are often shockingly high calorie. Log at least 1000 calories and call it a maintenance day.

100 calories for a slice of bacon? I've always seen it as 40-50 calories per piece.

• slaite1
    slaite1 Posts: 1,307 Member
    Options
    wizzybeth wrote: »

Wrap 100
    Chicken 150
    Provolone 150
    Sauce? 100

I would estimate much higher. Wraps can be a few hundred calories just by themselves. The bacon can be 50-100 per piece. If it's a chicken "cheesesteak" it might be coveted in oil when it's put on the grill-top. Sauces are notoriously high.

Sandwiches at restaurants are often shockingly high calorie. Log at least 1000 calories and call it a maintenance day.

100 calories for a slice of bacon? I've always seen it as 40-50 calories per piece.

I worked at a sandwich shop and we had this super delicious bacon. Thick-cut etc. and it was 80 calories per piece! And then it was cooked on a well-oiled griddle.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options

Wrap 100
    Chicken 150
    Provolone 150
    Sauce? 100

I, too, would estimate a lot higher.....
  • colors_fade
    colors_fade Posts: 464 Member
    Options

Yep. My wife owns a restaurant; lots of sandwiches and wraps. They use the Don Pancho Extra Large, 12" Flour Tortilla, which comes in at 320 calories . We've sat down and tallied up calories for most sandwhiches and wraps, and it's all between 750 and 1,000 calories.

As to eating out: My wife and I eat out a lot. We like date nights, time out, etc., and she owns the aforementioned restaurant. I have two strategies for dealing with this:

1) Extra exercise that day to offset some of the calories. Like extra walking.
    2) Eat half the wrap and save the other half for tomorrow's lunch.

Life doesn't have to suck.
  • MarkFraser142
    MarkFraser142 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Usually what I do in these situations is look for a similar sounding dish on MFP and then log the highest calorie one.
  • waldermom
    waldermom Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Another possibility, if the wraps aren't made ahead- I'm gluten intolerant, so I frequently ask for the contents of a wrap or sandwich on a bed of lettuce. You can save a few calories that way, and still enjoy the yummy savory stuff.

I also make sure to be verbally appreciative, and tip well if the accommodation has been made without a fuss.

But if you "just wanna have fun", go ahead- just be sure that you are adapting your intake a couple days before and after to allow for it.

I know some think of their eating plan as a life-long lifestyle change, but everyone has to adjust for the occasional holiday dinner, wedding, or party. Personally, I have always been more successful if I did not feel like I was totally depriving myself of something. Adjust your eating before and after, and enjoy in moderation!

p.s. Make sure you really enjoy it! Don't mindlessly wolf the "special treat" down while chatting with your friends- take a moment to close your eyes and really savor the texture and the flavor. This way, the experience would have been really worth it, or if it was not as good as you thought, you may decide to eat a bit less, and not make this kind of sacrifice for that particular item again!

Enjoy your night out!
  • Lizadizzle
    Lizadizzle Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Supremely late to this conversation, but I wanted to add that sometimes when I go to order stuff that I *know* they're going to douse in oil on the grill, I ask for them to prep it "dry", or with as little oil as possible. Usually the wait staff is happy to accommodate.