Giving up

Options

Replies

• aylajane
    aylajane Posts: 979 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Set some goals other than weight related!!! Make a list of 5 short term goals - something like this:

By the end of July, I will:
    1) Lose 3 to 5 pounds
    2) Work up to 5 knee pushups
    3) Be able to run for 1 minute straight
    4) Try at least 3 new healthy recipes
    5) Reorganize my kitchen

Every month, celebrate what you hit, then update/add/remove! You dont have to always hit all of them, but its nice when you do - so make them somewhat "easy" goals. A series of 3-5 pounds lost will add up, and it feels awesome to be able to do regular pushups when you couldnt before, etc.

Weight loss is awesome, but if the scale is your only motivation or measure of success, it will get worse and worse because as you have less to lose it gets a lot slower!!
  • bubaluboo
    bubaluboo Posts: 2,098 Member
    Options
    MFP set me at 1600 but i try to do 1200 and i work in a per store snd stock the shelves 40 hours a week so sometimes my exercise outways my calorie intake, im gonna take a look in your diary. Thanks again

I suspect you're eating way under your total calorie burn. You're young and it looks like you're very active. In MFP, what did you set your activity to? I lose eating about 1500 and am older and more sedentary in daily life.
  • zglavin2
    zglavin2 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    All the time. I'm on a plateau right now at around 25 lbs lost. I just reach for a goal, right now on this plateau my goal is to not gain weight so that all my hard work doesn't go to waste
  • opalle
    opalle Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    Not yet this time around, but I know I will. Bad days happen. When I lost 30lbs years ago I definitely had those days, but eventually success happens. Don't give up. There's a reason your here. It may take longer than you were hoping but if you keep going, even on days you you feel like you are failing, you will get there.
  • t0mmyLE
    t0mmyLE Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Of course, that's normal. However, know that once you get to your sub-goals and eventual goal, you can then say, "Nothing tastes as good as this feels." I do find that when I lose track of what I eat, my weight starts to inch back up. Stay focused and determined. Lots of people do, so can you. If you have a bad day..., OK; just get right back at it.
  • Dustinsteven22
    Dustinsteven22 Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    Changing your life is so hard, because your mind and body will work against you, especially in the beginning. It is always easier to give up. Think about why you started the whole thing in the first place? Results = motivation. Seeing results will definitely help you stay in the game. Stick with the 3 keys of fitness: Nutrition, Exercise, and Support. Feel free to add me.
  • karacasale5
    karacasale5 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    aylajane wrote: »
    Set some goals other than weight related!!! Make a list of 5 short term goals - something like this:

By the end of July, I will:
    1) Lose 3 to 5 pounds
    2) Work up to 5 knee pushups
    3) Be able to run for 1 minute straight
    4) Try at least 3 new healthy recipes
    5) Reorganize my kitchen

Every month, celebrate what you hit, then update/add/remove! You dont have to always hit all of them, but its nice when you do - so make them somewhat "easy" goals. A series of 3-5 pounds lost will add up, and it feels awesome to be able to do regular pushups when you couldnt before, etc.

Weight loss is awesome, but if the scale is your only motivation or measure of success, it will get worse and worse because as you have less to lose it gets a lot slower!!

Im gonna set those goals! Ill give it a whirl
  • karacasale5
    Options
    zglavin2 wrote: »
    All the time. I'm on a plateau right now at around 25 lbs lost. I just reach for a goal, right now on this plateau my goal is to not gain weight so that all my hard work doesn't go to waste

I need to lose about 15 more pounds, but ive been stuck. Only loosing one to .5lbs a week, i feel no different im just frustrated/upset
  • karacasale5
    Options
    bubaluboo wrote: »
    MFP set me at 1600 but i try to do 1200 and i work in a per store snd stock the shelves 40 hours a week so sometimes my exercise outways my calorie intake, im gonna take a look in your diary. Thanks again

I suspect you're eating way under your total calorie burn. You're young and it looks like you're very active. In MFP, what did you set your activity to? I lose eating about 1500 and am older and more sedentary in daily

I set it to just active because in the beginning i felt that i didnt really excersise a lot
  • karacasale5
    Options
    bubaluboo wrote: »

I suspect you're eating way under your total calorie burn. You're young and it looks like you're very active. In MFP, what did you set your activity to? I lose eating about 1500 and am older and more sedentary in daily

I set it to just active because in the beginning i felt that i didnt really excersise a lot
    Somehow my comment got all screwy but i am pretty young, only 20
  • peaceout_aly
    peaceout_aly Posts: 2,018 Member
    Options
    YES! I get so frustrated at times. Seeing physical changes and feeling healthier is good motivation. But yesterday was a "bad" day for me. I felt bloated, skipped the gym because I had to complete some homework and to top it all off I got two swim suits that I ordered and was looking forward to "looking great in" and in reality they were both huge (which a lot of people would say is a good thing, but it just made me feel like crap about my body). BUT that gave me even more motivation to get out to the gym today and continue sticking to my meal plans - just have to buy different bikinis LOL. Keep your head up and stay positive! Commitment and consistency are key.
  • karacasale5
    Options
    Changing your life is so hard, because your mind and body will work against you, especially in the beginning. It is always easier to give up. Think about why you started the whole thing in the first place? Results = motivation. Seeing results will definitely help you stay in the game. Stick with the 3 keys of fitness: Nutrition, Exercise, and Support. Feel free to add me.

Im trying, i dont have much support around my house or peers, its hard being the only one who cant go up to the boardwalk for ice cream and funnel cake, everyone excludes me. I wish results came quicker
  • karacasale5
    Options
    opalle wrote: »
    Not yet this time around, but I know I will. Bad days happen. When I lost 30lbs years ago I definitely had those days, but eventually success happens. Don't give up. There's a reason your here. It may take longer than you were hoping but if you keep going, even on days you you feel like you are failing, you will get there.

I hope so! I feel like it took a month to gain all the weight and almost a year to loose it
  • karacasale5
    Options
    t0mmyLE wrote: »
    Of course, that's normal. However, know that once you get to your sub-goals and eventual goal, you can then say, "Nothing tastes as good as this feels." I do find that when I lose track of what I eat, my weight starts to inch back up. Stay focused and determined. Lots of people do, so can you. If you have a bad day..., OK; just get right back at it.

Thats true, as long as i realize that, along with what everyone else is saying i hope i can stay on track
  • karacasale5
    Options
    alykief wrote: »
    YES! I get so frustrated at times. Seeing physical changes and feeling healthier is good motivation. But yesterday was a "bad" day for me. I felt bloated, skipped the gym because I had to complete some homework and to top it all off I got two swim suits that I ordered and was looking forward to "looking great in" and in reality they were both huge (which a lot of people would say is a good thing, but it just made me feel like crap about my body). BUT that gave me even more motivation to get out to the gym today and continue sticking to my meal plans - just have to buy different bikinis LOL. Keep your head up and stay positive! Commitment and consistency are key.

Bikini season sucks!! I put one on the other day and was told i still have a "pouch" , the second i felt decent in something my entire attitude changed again! I dont go to a gym since my job is all physical labor, but im starting to rethink that idea.
  • ccourcha
    ccourcha Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    rehab is for quitter right. You want to go to fat people rehab? Suck it up!
  • karacasale5
    Options
    ccourcha wrote: »
    rehab is for quitter right. You want to go to fat people rehab? Suck it up!

Same thing my father tells me, suck it up! Im trying this way i dont have to suck in later
  • flamingblades
    flamingblades Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    If I am having a "doubtful" day, I just go to my friendly everyday MFP community. I will seek out the encouragement AND EMPOWERMENT I need and ignore the debates. It always works. In fact, after I am done playing in the community a while, I will be heading off to the gym for my cardio workout. It is too easy for me to just stay home on a Friday....Not this week!
  • karacasale5
    Options
    If I am having a "doubtful" day, I just go to my friendly everyday MFP community. I will seek out the encouragement AND EMPOWERMENT I need and ignore the debates. It always works. In fact, after I am done playing in the community a while, I will be heading off to the gym for my cardio workout. It is too easy for me to just stay home on a Friday....Not this week!

Thats why i posted today, looking for some encouragement and im thankful to everyone who reached out to give me some, cardio is my favorite! Enjoy your workout!!
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    No because I make room in my diet for all types of foods and do not restrict anything.