checking weight

Options
2»

Replies

• asappoeun
    asappoeun Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    i use to check mine and log it in every day, but I couldn't handle the fluctuation.
  • ercarroll311
    ercarroll311 Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    I "officially" weigh in once/week (meaning I only record that weight in MFP and MY Weight app), every Monday before getting dressed and after going to the bathroom. Still, if I feel like I'm doing well, I'll weigh in on other mornings throughout the week, as well (like this morning). I can't stop myself from doing it, but it hasn't helped motivate me because I'll see water weight fluctuations more that way (gained a pound today since Monday, but have been very dilligent with diet and exercise). Sometimes, though, if I think my official weigh in is off, I'll check again a day or two later to see if my weight is more where I feel like it should be.

Short answer: Whatever works for you is what's best--don't let people tell you what's right and wrong because we all work different ways
  • Asher_Ethan
    Asher_Ethan Posts: 2,430 Member
    Options
    I have to stick to once a week. I tried to weigh myself everyday and it was just a major mind game for myself.
  • taentea
    taentea Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    +1 for trendweight. I find that daily logging actually makes me less obsessed about the number I see on the scale on particular day as I'm aware of the patterns my WL follows. I tend to stall or gain for more days than I lose but my drops are often big enough to ensure a nice downward average graph. So when I see a small gain, I shrug and go on with my day. When the drop happens I smile but know I may see some of the weight back by next morning. This whole routine just feels normal and does not affect me much. When I checked once a week and the weight-in fell on a 'heavy' day and I had no clue it was out of the ordinary for that week, now that was stressful.
  • anthonyratchford
    anthonyratchford Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I don't weight myself, I think it is better to measure parts of your body and do before and after pics.

Weight can be very deceiving, muscle weights more than fat, yet fat has a larger mass. You also have to factor in water retention, food intolerance etc etc.
  • cmyers028
    cmyers028 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Thank you guys for all the comments and once I drop all the weight I'm trying to I'll go back to building again and I'll start measuring
  • robin79
    robin79 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I had to have my fiancé hide the scale. I was getting so upset when the number would go up, even just a couple of ounces. I waited two weeks this last time and had gone down 2.4 pounds. Worth the wait to put a smile on my face instead of feeling frustrated every morning.
  • Chezzie84
    Chezzie84 Posts: 873 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself on a Wednesday morning and a Saturday Morning.
    But I don't obsess too much, if I have to miss a weigh in then it doesn't bother me.
  • Willbenchforcupcakes
    Willbenchforcupcakes Posts: 4,955 Member
    Options
    Away from comps, I've moved to more of once every week or two. Three weeks out, I weigh in twice in that week, two weeks out I weigh in three times, and the week of, I weigh everyday. Just so that I know how much wiggle room I have within my weight class
  • colors_fade
    colors_fade Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    I go to the gym 3x per week, and I weigh myself on that scale every time. It's the same time very day, so I feel it's pretty consistent.

But I only record that weight (check-in on MFP) after I've had several consecutive readings at the same weight, due to fluctuations. If I get 4-5 weigh-ins at the same weight, then, and only then, do I check-in.
  • yorkshiregirl67
    yorkshiregirl67 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    OMG So glad I read the posts on here. I'm new to weight loss been on here for 2 weeks now. I could not understand why my weight kept going up and down but I feel a difference in my clothes. The posts on here have put my mind a rest that my weight is going to fluctuate, going to try and weigh in once a month (ok maybe weekly lol). Thanks everyone.