Gains are so difficult!

Options
hi,
Just need a bit of advice really , I'm trying to gain size and finding it very difficult , eating around 4200cals a day and spending about an hour in the gym heavy lifting and walk about 9km throughout the day and do a physical job (mechanic) I'm 6ft and 13st 10 lbs ATM.
Am I doing too much exercise to gain?
Also does anybody know if lifting heavier and less reps .....or less heavy and more reps is the best way to gain? That is the question .
Thanks

Replies

• GideonAlexanderRae2015
    Options
    Cheers bro , yeh I was looking about and saw your posts.
    I'll have a look into it.
    My job is really physical but over 4500cals a day is really hard to even get near let alone maintain everyday I feel myself being constantly full and unable to eat anymore!
    Plus the food gut is not something I want to sport lol.
  • jdscrubs32
    jdscrubs32 Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    My job is really physical but over 4500cals a day is really hard to even get near let alone maintain everyday I feel myself being constantly full and unable to eat anymore!

I'm on 4,000 a day and know how you feel. I did start off at 3,000 and still lost weight. Same with 3,500. When I increased it to 4,000 around 8 months ago I started and still am gaining both muscle and body fat. Sounds like you might need to increase the calories a bit more but maybe introduce a shake or two cos sometimes drinking the calories is easier than eating them. What would you normally have most days? Would you normally pre log your days so that you aren't in a panic by the end of most days with 1,000 calories thinking fu.k what I am going to have and feeling too full after?
  • taco_inspector
    taco_inspector Posts: 7,223 Member
    Options
    Just a question -- Is your 9km of walking at work, or commuting? (Thinking: Is that walking an activity that could be reduced to allow your current intake to be a bit more of a surplus to get you back into gaining?) Like @asflatasapancake posts, you don't need much of a surplus; maybe a little 'other' expenditure could help you slide into surplus.

• GideonAlexanderRae2015
    Options
    Just a question -- Is your 9km of walking at work, or commuting? (Thinking: Is that walking an activity that could be reduced to allow your current intake to be a bit more of a surplus to get you back into gaining?) Like @asflatasapancake posts, you don't need much of a surplus; maybe a little 'other' expenditure could help you slide into surplus.

The 9km walk is around my workshop each day just back and fourth it's really difficult to cut it down as it is necessary!
  • jdscrubs32
    Options

The 9km walk is around my workshop each day just back and fourth it's really difficult to cut it down as it is necessary!

Would you have snacks during the workday like nuts (almonds are great here) and fruit that keep you full and ticking along?
  • stephxo1
    stephxo1 Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    You could try taking in some cals with drinks as jdscrubs32 said. For me, Tri Carbs and SizeOn helped to get those cals in while bulking. And keep any form of cardio to a minimum. I built size by following PMB, check out the following link https://www.muscleandstrength.com/workouts/power-muscle-burn-5-day-powerbuilding-split.html Good luck!
  • GideonAlexanderRae2015
    Options
    jdscrubs32 wrote: »

I'm on 4,000 a day and know how you feel. I did start off at 3,000 and still lost weight. Same with 3,500. When I increased it to 4,000 around 8 months ago I started and still am gaining both muscle and body fat. Sounds like you might need to increase the calories a bit more but maybe introduce a shake or two cos sometimes drinking the calories is easier than eating them. What would you normally have most days? Would you normally pre log your days so that you aren't in a panic by the end of most days with 1,000 calories thinking fu.k what I am going to have and feeling too full after?

Hi mate,

Most days I have beans,chicken,rice,pasta etc I'm doing my bcaa s and have 2 shakes a day which come to 700cals per shake but because they're so filling it's difficult to eat after having one . I don't struggle at the end of the day as I tend to have quite large lunches it's just difficult to maintain the intake and actually afford it too as it's not cheap eating all that food.
    I think I just need to find a more practical way of getting the calorie intake as I'm not sure I can continue filling my face . It's also v. Difficult to not eat fat and salt as it seems to be in everything!
  • GideonAlexanderRae2015
    Options

Hi mate,

Most days I have beans,chicken,rice,pasta etc I'm doing my bcaa s and have 2 shakes a day which c

Would you have snacks during the workday like nuts (almonds are great here) and fruit that keep you full and ticking along?

Yes I have snacks nuts and flapjacks usually help the most!
  • taco_inspector
    taco_inspector Posts: 7,223 Member
    Options
    I kinda got that from your post, but there was a moment of hope there (worked really well for me once upon a time).

Without food intake modification (y'know, let's just assume all things being equal), moving heavier weight at lower reps, may do something for ya (more damage with less cals spent & all that).

Maybe just the food change (adding a protein-bar post workout or something) for a week and keep the rest of your life the same (at ~£4, it could be a quick way to stuff 200+ cals into your day).

Gonna be a little self-experimenting, but you've got the knowledge and seem to have your wits about you to get this sorted.
  • jdscrubs32
    Options

Hi mate,

Most days I have beans,chicken,rice,pasta etc I'm doing my bcaa s and have 2 shakes a day which come to 700cals per shake but because they're so filling it's difficult to eat after having one . I don't struggle at the end of the day as I tend to have quite large lunches it's just difficult to maintain the intake and actually afford it too as it's not cheap eating all that food.
    I think I just need to find a more practical way of getting the calorie intake as I'm not sure I can continue filling my face . It's also v. Difficult to not eat fat and salt as it seems to be in everything!

You mentioned the large lunches. Could explain why you feel so full and find it hard to get the food in. I split my meals into 4 main meals & 2 snacks so I spread what I am having throughout the day which prevents me from feeling too full at anyone time. If you aren't doing that, maybe try that. I know what you mean about not eating too much fat and salt but as long as you cook most of what you eat, then you can control the amount of fat/salt that goes into your meals. How I manage the cost is I do one bulk shop a week and get everything so I'm not constantly buying during the week for other things. Again maybe try that.
  • Brolympus
    Brolympus Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    What does your lifting program look like?

As far as the cals go, you could be just burning a lot more during the day than you are allowing for in your food intake (you said you had a physical job). You could be also overestimating what you eat. Are you actually measuring food?

If your weight is stuck, and you haven't been getting stronger, best bet is to bump up your TDEE by 100 every 2 weeks until you see a change. It is really hard to estimate your daily calories out when you have a physical job.

I bulk around 3200 cals, and I am 6'4", but I also have a desk job, so my avg exercise cals for the week are pretty darn easy to calculate.
  • 89nunu
    89nunu Posts: 1,082 Member
    Options
    I find 4 out of 5 times people that don't gain just simply don't eat enough. I was there myself for some time...
    For reference I'm a 5'11" female with a desk job and I gain on 3100.

So, yeah all the food! But I second Brolympus' questions. How do you exercise? Do you measure food?

Might be worth thinking of a cheat day on top of the bulking calories. One where you just go crazy on the pizza and cake or whatever floats your boat. It's all about MOAR!
  • giantrobot_powerlifting
    giantrobot_powerlifting Posts: 2,598 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    hi,
    Just need a bit of advice really , I'm trying to gain size and finding it very difficult , eating around 4200cals a day and spending about an hour in the gym heavy lifting and walk about 9km throughout the day and do a physical job (mechanic) I'm 6ft and 13st 10 lbs ATM.
    Also does anybody know if lifting heavier and less reps .....or less heavy and more reps is the best way to gain? That is the question .
    Thanks
    I'm nowhere as tall (5'11") nor do I have as physical of a job (office drone) -- but I had to eat between 4k and 5K to see 1.5 to 2 lbs gain a month during last bulk period (6 months).

To reinforce what @Brolympus said, bump up your TDEE until you get the results you are looking for. I had just ate more. I started off with 250, then went to 500, 750, then it was release the Kraken until I made @jdscrubs32 cry over the gloriousness of my food ramp.

Eat unsalted roasted almonds man. Snack on them all day. Eat like 3 cups a day (three or four handfuls) which will give you an easy 2400 calories effortlessly.
  • jdscrubs32
    edited June 2015
    Options
    hi,
    Thanks
    I'm nowhere as tall (5'11") nor do I have as physical of a job (office drone) -- but I had to eat between 4k and 5K to see 1.5 to 2 lbs gain a month during last bulk period (6 months).

To reinforce what @Brolympus said, bump up your TDEE until you get the results you are looking for. I had just ate more. I started off with 250, then went to 500, 750, then it was release the Kraken until I made @jdscrubs32 cry over the gloriousness of my food ramp.

Eat unsalted roasted almonds man. Snack on them all day. Eat like 3 cups a day (three or four handfuls) which will give you an easy 2400 calories effortlessly. [/

^^^this
  • FitForL1fe
    FitForL1fe Posts: 1,872 Member
    Options
    that's rough man 5'9" 185lb here so not much advice I can give but good luck bro!
  • GideonAlexanderRae2015
    Options
    Brolympus wrote: »
    What does your lifting program look like?

As far as the cals go, you could be just burning a lot more during the day than you are allowing for in your food intake (you said you had a physical job). You could be also overestimating what you eat. Are you actually measuring food?

If your weight is stuck, and you haven't been getting stronger, best bet is to bump up your TDEE by 100 every 2 weeks until you see a change. It is really hard to estimate your daily calories out when you have a physical job.

I bulk around 3200 cals, and I am 6'4", but I also have a desk job, so my avg exercise cals for the week are pretty darn easy to calculate.

Yes bro,
    I use my fitness pal and keep a close eye on my intake and portion things exactly scanning barcodes etc.

I hear what you're saying about my job , I think I burn a lot but doing bolts up and lifting things etc is almost impossible to gauge on how many Cals I burn,the only thing I can keep an eye on is my walking with a pedometer.

I'm uping my Cals now and am attempting 5k a day as a ball park figure ,I'll give it a couple of weeks and see how manageable it is and what the results are.

Thanks to everyone for your help And I will get on the almond express !

Much appreciated
  • GideonAlexanderRae2015
    Options
    And yes I have a set workout plan ,one body part a day 8-12 reps,3 sets and about 6 different exercises . Maybe I need to change it up a bit?
  • GideonAlexanderRae2015
    Options
    I definately
    89nunu wrote: »
    I find 4 out of 5 times people that don't gain just simply don't eat enough. I was there myself for some time...
    For reference I'm a 5'11" female with a desk job and I gain on 3100.

So, yeah all the food! But I second Brolympus' questions. How do you exercise? Do you measure food?

Might be worth thinking of a cheat day on top of the bulking calories. One where you just go crazy on the pizza and cake or whatever floats your boat. It's all about MOAR!

I definately have a binge whenever possible ! One day a week is carnage and everything gets put into my face be it pizza ,cake or elephants! I hope to share some results in a couple of weeks !
    Thanks for the help
  • Brolympus
    Brolympus Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    And yes I have a set workout plan ,one body part a day 8-12 reps,3 sets and about 6 different exercises . Maybe I need to change it up a bit?

Possibly. When you say one body part per day, what do you mean?