How do you maintain your new weight?

Options
2»

Replies

• cubsterofthesea
    cubsterofthesea Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    djscavone wrote: »
    I've been the same for a year now. I didn't use any special science or calculation. Its just from day in day out repetition of doing pretty much the same thing and looking at the scale. I now just have a feel for knowing what I ate and I know 3 miles a day at a basic pace keeps me where I am. After all the time spent losing the weight smaller portions,healthy meals, and exercise are now normal. I am really no longer dieting and calorie counting. I am more "calorie aware" and its my lifestyle. On weekends I know after pounding down the beers and burgers that Monday I am 3 pounds heavier but by Wednesday I am right back to where I was Friday as I am back into my routine.

I think you are right, you just get to know how to eat after a while. Thanks :smile:
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    bunnypy wrote: »
    Congrats on ur weight loss. What is ur height and current weight?

5ft6, 123 pounds,

You're already on the very lowest end of the healthy weight range for your height, 4 lbs less would put you underweight, I believe. You might want to reconsider your goal?

• cubsterofthesea
    Options
    First of all congrats!

Second of all I did go back and run my new TDEE #s using this IIFYM Calculator to determine the # of calories based on my activities.

If you go to CALCULATOR then select IIFYM CALCULATOR - after you input your info & scroll down it will actually give you macro options depending on your goals. ie. build muscle etc

It's not gospel by any means but it is a good starting point for most novice folks like myself.

Make sure you continue to set goals for yourself because there is no end to maintenance ... not really.

It's more a 'loosing weight phase' then a 'rest of your life' phase so that may be a bit daunting at first.

The other thing I did do differently in maint vs. wt loss is that I purposely tried to add MFP folks who are also in maint. It's a different mindset with its own set of challenges which needs a different kind of support.

Best of luck to you!

Thanks for taking the time to write :smile:
  • cubsterofthesea
    Options
    Thanks to everyone for their help :)
  • yesimpson
    yesimpson Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options

5ft6, 123 pounds,

You're already on the very lowest end of the healthy weight range for your height, 4 lbs less would put you underweight, I believe. You might want to reconsider your goal?

I'm pretty sure the OP's BMI is 19.8, so it's low but not unnecessarily unhealthy, as the cut-off for that is meant to be 18.5 (I understand BMI is not the be all and end all of weight management). The weight range for that height is 8st 3lb to 11st 1lb, according to the NHS.
  • Sarasmaintaining
    Sarasmaintaining Posts: 1,027 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options

5ft6, 123 pounds,

We're very similar-I'm 5ft, 6 in and my maintenance range is 120-125lbs. And you'll want to do something similar-not have a specific goal weight number, but a maintenance range. Most people chose a 5lb range. Your weight will fluctuate throughout the month, due to non-weight related things like sodium, time of month etc. A range will keep you on track, without causing undo anxiety because your weight changes a bit here and there.

As far as losing a few more pounds-when I first transitioned into maintenance I went down to 117lbs. It was a good experience because I realized that I felt/looked best a few pounds heavier. This is how I came to chose 120-125lb for my maintenance range.

eta: my TDEE is around 1,800 calories, which includes about 1.5 hours of exercise a week
  • Sarasmaintaining
    Sarasmaintaining Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options

5ft6, 123 pounds,

No, 119lbs is still in a healthy bmi for Ops height. She would have to get down to 114lbs before she'd be in the underweight category.
  • cubsterofthesea
    Options

5ft6, 123 pounds,

We're very similar-I'm 5ft, 6 in and my maintenance range is 120-125lbs. And you'll want to do something similar-not have a specific goal weight number, but a maintenance range. Most people chose a 5lb range. Your weight will fluctuate throughout the month, due to non-weight related things like sodium, time of month etc. A range will keep you on track, without causing undo anxiety because your weight changes a bit here and there.

As far as losing a few more pounds-when I first transitioned into maintenance I went down to 117lbs. It was a good experience because I realized that I felt/looked best a few pounds heavier. This is how I came to chose 120-125lb for my maintenance range.

eta: my TDEE is around 1,800 calories, which includes about 1.5 hours of exercise a week

Thanks for our help. It's good to know as we are the same kind of weight :)
  • patrikc333
    patrikc333 Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    Set MFP to "maintain your weight" and then gradually eat back all the calories suggested

If it gives you for example 1900 calories per day, and you are now at 1500, when at goal weight start to eat 1600 for a week, then increase 100 for another week and so on

trust the number MFP gives you initially

• Bizurke51
    Bizurke51 Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    patrikc333 wrote: »

Amen
  • cubsterofthesea
    Options
    patrikc333 wrote: »
    Set MFP to "maintain your weight" and then gradually eat back all the calories suggested

If it gives you for example 1900 calories per day, and you are now at 1500, when at goal weight start to eat 1600 for a week, then increase 100 for another week and so on