Help with scale!

Options
gs0403
gs0403 Posts: 38 Member
Hi Everyone,

can someone please help me, I am having a hard time weighing my food.

For example If I am eating 1 cup of broccoli what should the scale read? Obviously not 8oz because that is liquid...can someone please help me!

Thanks so much.

xox

Replies

• juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options
    gs0403 wrote: »
    Hi Everyone,

For example If I am eating 1 cup of broccoli what should the scale read? Obviously not 8oz because that is liquid...can someone please help me!

Thanks so much.

xox

It should read the weight of the broccoli.

That's the point behind weighing foods - "1 cup" of broccoli could vary greatly in the actual amount of broccoli. If you cram it in there and heap it a little bit, you could probably fit twice or 3x as much into a measuring cup than if you just loosely and gently placed a few florets.

• beemerphile1
    beemerphile1 Posts: 1,710 Member
    Options
    Cups are a measurement of volume. A scale measures weight so use grams as the measurement.
  • gs0403
    Options
    ceoverturf wrote: »
    Hi Everyone,

Thanks so much.

xox

It should read the weight of the broccoli.

That's the point behind weighing foods - "1 cup" of broccoli could vary greatly in the actual amount of broccoli. If you cram it in there and heap it a little bit, you could probably fit twice or 3x as much into a measuring cup than if you just loosely and gently placed a few florets.

So I use a measuring cup and I don't weigh it even though its a solid food?
  • gs0403
    Options
    Cups are a measurement of volume. A scale measures weight so use grams as the measurement.

And what should the grams be? I don't think using a measuring cup is accurate...I think weighing the food is considering it's a solid food...measuring cups and more for liquid.
  • jaga13
    jaga13 Posts: 1,149 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    If the broccoli comes in packaging with a label, it should tell you how many grams per serving (and how many calories per serving). So you weigh it to match those grams. If it doesn't have a label, you can look it up on MFP's database (or USDA) for the closest match.
  • jaga13
    jaga13 Posts: 1,149 Member
    Options
    jaga13 wrote: »
    If the broccoli comes in packaging with a label, it should tell you how many grams per serving (and how many calories per serving). So you weigh it to match those grams. If it doesn't have a label, you can look it up on MFP's database (or USDA) for the closest match.

I just checked MFP and found 100 grams of raw broccoli = 34 calories.
  • flamingblades
    flamingblades Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    In culinary school, they taught us to always use a scale (baking) and most of the ingredients in recipes were listed in grams. The liquids were measured in ounces. I use my scale for ALL of my foods, as grams or ounces.
  • PatsyFitzpatrick
    PatsyFitzpatrick Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    This is a great question. Thanks for posting it. Just picked up more food for the brain. What scale did you buy?
    Patsy
    Lutz Fl
  • gs0403
    Options
    This is a great question. Thanks for posting it. Just picked up more food for the brain. What scale did you buy?
    Patsy
    Lutz Fl

I Have a current weight watchers scale...all this talk is making my brain hurt! Trying to figure out how to properly measure food then my next step will be how to successfully meal prep...will start carb cycling on Monday gives me time to prepare and read up on it..
  • acheben
    acheben Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    Hi Everyone,

Thanks so much.

xox
    My suggestion is to stop thinking in terms of cups where you can. Place the amount of broccoli that you want to eat on the scale, select the applicable database entry (ie "Broccoli, raw"), and enter the weight, in grams, of your portion.

If you're following a recipe and it calls for 1/4 cup of flour, you can measure the flour in the measuring cup and then weigh it prior to adding it to the recipe.
  • Ozzzzzzzzzz
    Ozzzzzzzzzz Posts: 84 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    You should be able to change the unit of measure on your scale from ounces to grams. Both are a unit of weight but grams are easier.

Put plate or container on scale and tare it (zero) then add the amount of food you want.
  • flamingblades
    flamingblades Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    I have a Taylor digital scale I bought at Target, and it is soooo easy to use. I love it!
  • 460mustang
    460mustang Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    If your have a digital scale you can place your measuring cup on the scale, then turn it on. It should read zero, add your food until it shows 1 cup then see what it weighs. That's the way mine works, I sometimes put my plate on the scale, then turn it on, check to see it is reading zero, then put my food on the plate to get the weights.
  • PatsyFitzpatrick
    PatsyFitzpatrick Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    Patsy
    Lutz Fl

I Have a current weight watchers scale...all this talk is making my brain hurt! Trying to figure out how to properly measure food then my next step will be how to successfully meal prep...will start carb cycling on Monday gives me time to prepare and read up on it..

I am also doing low carb. Monday is my first week weight in. Doing the low carb for 90 days to see if abs are truly made in the kitchen or the gym. :) Sept 1st is my how many inches did my waist get rid of. Good luck to ya.
    Patsy
  • gs0403
    Options
    Patsy
    Lutz Fl

I am also doing low carb. Monday is my first week weight in. Doing the low carb for 90 days to see if abs are truly made in the kitchen or the gym. :) Sept 1st is my how many inches did my waist get rid of. Good luck to ya.
    Patsy
    carb cycle is not all low carb it is also a mix of high carb days and low carb days mixed with a few no carb days. I've heard all positive feedback from this cycle and haven't heard anything negative...so I'm willing to try it out now!
  • 460mustang
    Options
    Patsy
    Lutz Fl

I just googled weight watcher scale and all I seen was bathroom scales that you use to weigh your body. We are talking about the small food scales that sit on the counter.
    I figured I would mention that in case there was confusion.
  • gs0403
    Options
    460mustang wrote: »
    Patsy
    Lutz Fl[/quote

Lol of course it's a food scale ...

I just googled weight watcher scale and all I seen was bathroom scales that you use to weigh your body. We are talking about the small food scales that sit on the counter.
    I figured I would mention that in case there was confusion.
  • gs0403
    Options
    Lol wow that's a silly answer. I'm not talking about a weight scale I am talking about my weight watchers food scale .. Lol
  • 460mustang
    Options
    Lol wow that's a silly answer. I'm not talking about a weight scale I am talking about my weight watchers food scale .. Lol

After I posted I did google weight watcher food scale and seen they did make them, but it was to late. Sometimes it is hard to express your thoughts thru text and not knowing the person makes it more difficult.
    But at least you got a laugh out of it, so all was not lost! lol
  • gs0403
    Options
    460mustang wrote: »

After I posted I did google weight watcher food scale and seen they did make them, but it was to late. Sometimes it is hard to express your thoughts thru text and not knowing the person makes it more difficult.
    But at least you got a laugh out of it, so all was not lost! lol

Haha no problem!