Abdominal work=Sucking in gut????

Options
One of my goals is to start doing abdominal workouts when I hit 250 pounds, I am closing in on that goal. I have heard several people at the gym saying anytime you work out you should concentrate on sucking your gut in, especially when doing abdominal work Can anybody tell me why and what that will accomplish. any and all advice appreciated.

Replies

• taso42_DELETED
    taso42_DELETED Posts: 3,394 Member
    Options
    Sounds like they are describing the stomach vacuum. http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/ms-fit5.htm

I do these as part of an ab circuit that I do once or twice a week. I also do it at random times, like when I'm riding my motorcycle or sitting at work.
  • KaironAndTaviansMommy
    KaironAndTaviansMommy Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    If your suck in your gut, it helps to strengthen your core muscles which also helps you push farther and keep you from straining your back muscles. Everyone always wants their stomach to look smaller and if you are constantly keeping it flexed then it will help build those muscles and helps to direct the weight loss where you want it. Holding in your stomach for about 10 seconds is actually close to the same thing as doing one crunch/sit up.
  • TDGee
    TDGee Posts: 2,209 Member
    Options
    It helps stabilize and strengthen your core muscles, reducing the risk of injury.
  • P90XCertifiedCoach
    Options
    Interesting article and I like the fact that You can do it anywhere . Thanks all
  • MoonMyst3
    MoonMyst3 Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    Sounds like they are describing the stomach vacuum. http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/ms-fit5.htm

I do these as part of an ab circuit that I do once or twice a week. I also do it at random times, like when I'm riding my motorcycle or sitting at work.

I agree with fb255. Interesting read... I'm definitely going to try these and see what happens over the next 3 weeks. Thanks for the info. :smile:
  • DebiP10
    DebiP10 Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    Excellent read, i will be starting these from today :smile:
  • ljgay
    ljgay Posts: 1
    Options
    Wow great info...I will start doing this while I am sitting at my desk at work and also while I take my daily walk for 60 minutes!...Thank you! and Good Luck! :>)
  • stacsir
    stacsir Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I do The Dr Oz You workout and they can not stress that enough during the whole video. And the instructor at our gym is always telling us to pull our belly buttons into our spine. that it makes for a better workout and better posture
  • P90XCertifiedCoach
    Options
    Dang I been trying this all day , my stomach muscles are a little sore. It is gonna be tough for me to do this while I work out, but who said this is gonna be easy.