For the women who've recently transitioned from very fat to normal or relatively thin...

Options
Kalikel
Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
edited June 2015 in Health and Weight Loss
TL;DR - When did you start going into regular stores in the mall and did they have things to fit you? What stores?

Long...

It's been about 25 years since I could shop in non-fat-lady stores. They've switched the sizes around quite a bit in the last 25 years, but I wasn't shopping in normal stores to know wth is going on.

Since I stopped going to The Avenue and Lane Bryant kind of stores, most of my clothes are mail-order because I know how Lands's End, LL Bean and Columbia clothes will fit me. I wore them when I was fattest and just keep ordering smaller sizes. I do buy things in normal sizes at Kohl's because I was standing in the fat lady section when I became confused about what to do when the fat lady section didn't have clothes for me, so I snuck over to the regular section and bought clothes there and now I go to that section.

I'm in a size 13, lol. The 14s are too big and the 12s fit (look fine) but are a little tight for comfort and there's too much bulging fat when I sit for my taste. In about 2 weeks, maybe three, the 12s will be fine. XLs are big, most Ls fit or are big. I haven't tried Ms yet, but know I'm close if not there.

Every single item is sized differently, but that where I am, on average.

I'm thinking maybe I could go to regular stores in the mall. But I don't know. My dream after I started losing - since I never anticipated this weight loss happening when I began - slowly became to buy something in a regular store. BUT my dream is NOT to go in and find out the clothes don't fit yet and have to go back later.

I want to go in and buy something, so I'm trying to wait until that venture will be a success and not a "leave with my tail between my legs" kind of outing. :) I realize it may seem very silly...because it kind of IS very silly...but it's my thing, how I feel, what I want.

Do some stores run bigger than others? I don't need the clothes to be on par with the kind of quality you get from Columbia or LL Bean. Any item will do, lol, even if it falls apart quickly. But are there stores that you fit into before others? (I have no intention of ever stepping foot in Abercrombie & Fitch.)

Are the Kohl's sizes like mall sizes? Should I wait until I'm in 10s?

What size were you when you were able to go into regular stores and buy clothes there?

If anyone made it through all that, Thanks!

Replies

• slaite1
    slaite1 Posts: 1,307 Member
    Options
    Old navy sizes tend to run big. They also have bigger sizes, so either way you should be able to find something.

But if you are a size 10-12 you should be able to shop at most stores. Maybe not teen stores like Abercrombie bc they are cut differently, but jcpenney, gap, old navy, etc. you should be fine!
  • strong_curves
    strong_curves Posts: 2,229 Member
    Options
    Well odd numbered size clothing are juniors clothing which are cut differently than even numbered sized clothing (which are women's sizes). Usually juniors clothing are cut slimmer & straight with not a lot of room for hips, thighs, etc.

Imo, you would do better to not focus so much on the number sizes and just try on everything. Sizing isn't universal, every store uses a different fit model so that's why in 1 store you could wear a size 12 but in another you might be able to fit a size 10 or even an 8. Mall brand stores tend to run larger so they can fit a wider variety of customer. High and some mid end brands tend to run 1 to 2 sizes smaller than mall brands. A store like Kohls, which sells a lot of different brands btw, you will have to try on different sizes until you find the right fit.
  • Kalikel
    Options
    Well odd numbered size clothing are juniors clothing which are cut differently than even numbered sized clothing (which are women's sizes). Usually juniors clothing are cut slimmer & straight with not a lot of room for hips, thighs, etc.

Imo, you would do better to not focus so much on the number sizes and just try on everything. Sizing isn't universal, every store uses a different fit model so that's why in 1 store you could wear a size 12 but in another you might be able to fit a size 10 or even an 8. Mall brand stores tend to run larger so they can fit a wider variety of customer. High and some mid end brands tend to run 1 to 2 sizes smaller than mall brands. A store like Kohls, which sells a lot of different brands btw, you will have to try on different sizes until you find the right fit.
    I don't buy expensive clothes. Everything I have comes from Columnia, LL Bean, Lands' End, Kohl's and Wal-Mart. I'm phasing Kohl's out because I've found that Wal-Mart clothes are cheaper and last longer. I don't have the kind of money to buy whole wardrobes of expensive clothes every time I drop a size. Maybe one day I'll buy something really expensive that I can wear for a long time, but that's a long way off! :)

When did you go from shopping in fat lady stores to just walking into any old store in the mall and buying something?

• strong_curves
    Options
    Kalikel wrote: »

I don't buy expensive clothes. Everything I have comes from Columnia, LL Bean, Lands' End, Kohl's and Wal-Mart. I'm phasing Kohl's out because I've found that Wal-Mart clothes are cheaper and last longer. I don't have the kind of money to buy whole wardrobes of expensive clothes every time I drop a size. Maybe one day I'll buy something really expensive that I can wear for a long time, but that's a long way off! :)

When did you go from shopping in fat lady stores to just walking into any old store in the mall and buying something?

I guess I shouldn't even be in this thread, I've never had to shop in the "fat lady" stores. I only replied because I love clothes and I know a lot about them and sizing.

• shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you should be able to find clothing at just about any store now.
    As another poster pointed out:
    odd sizes (9,11,13) = Junior's clothing (different cut then women's)
    even sizes (8,10,12) = Women's clothing

Old Navy seems to run large.
    Definitely get yourself to some stores and hit up a bunch. You will find sizes can vary wildly from brand to brand and even depending on cut.

For the past few months I was an 8-10 (9-11 juniors), but they are all starting to get way to big. I had to run to the car for the diaper bag today and it required me to hold onto my jeans to keep them up. :laugh:

My favorite stores for a large variety of clothing brands are TJ Maxx, Marshalls, Gordmans, and JcPenny.
  • Kalikel
    Options

I guess I shouldn't even be in this thread, I've never had to shop in the "fat lady" stores. I only replied because I love clothes and I know a lot about them and sizing.
    Lol, I didn't mean that! I'm really trying to get a feel for how other people went through the transition. But all advice is welcome. :)

Which stores run big? Stores inside the mall, not department stores on the ends. I could always shop in those because they had fat lady sections. :)
  • MKEgal
    MKEgal Posts: 3,250 Member
    Options
    OP - one thing you could do is to look at the website for whatever store or brand you're considering,
    find their sizing chart(s), and see where you fall.

Kalikel wrote:
    I don't buy expensive clothes.
    Everything I have comes from Columbia, LL Bean, Land's End, Kohl's and Wal-Mart.
    Which one of these is not like the other?
    That word you are using, I do not think it means what you think it means.
    The only one of those I'd consider not to be expensive is Wally World, and I shop there only as a last resort.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    I prefer online shopping

You get to choose multiple sizes, try on in your own home with your own clothes and accessories, take your time deciding and return free of charge

I rarely go into shops any more
  • Kalikel
    Options
    Sounds like you should be able to find clothing at just about any store now.
    As another poster pointed out:
    odd sizes (9,11,13) = Junior's clothing (different cut then women's)
    even sizes (8,10,12) = Women's clothing

Old Navy seems to run large.
    Definitely get yourself to some stores and hit up a bunch. You will find sizes can vary wildly from brand to brand and even depending on cut.

For the past few months I was an 8-10 (9-11 juniors), but they are all starting to get way to big. I had to run to the car for the diaper bag today and it required me to hold onto my jeans to keep them up. :laugh:

My favorite stores for a large variety of clothing brands are TJ Maxx, Marshalls, Gordmans, and JcPenny.
    I was joking out the 13. Joking poorly, obviously. I'm between a 14 and 12. A friend is swearing that the 12s fit and I'm being ridiculous and wearing my clothes too baggy. "You have a fat girl mentality and you have to stop that!" But I'm still a fat girl, lol. I'll be comfortable in the 12s soon, though. They already go on, but feel tight when I sit. Still too small, IMO...and my opinion is the final word on what I wear, not hers. :)

I think I'll give it a shot when the 12s are official.

Thanks, guys!! :)

• strong_curves
    Options

Lol, I didn't mean that! I'm really trying to get a feel for how other people went through the transition. But all advice is welcome. :)

Which stores run big? Stores inside the mall, not department stores on the ends. I could always shop in those because they had fat lady sections. :)

Gap, Banana Republic, Old Navy tend to run really big. Stores like Loft, Ann Taylor, etc run big also but not as big as the gap brands. If I were you, I wouldn't online shop just yet. It's probably better for you to find what you like and always try the items on....even if it is annoying! Until you find out which stores, brands fit you the best and you understand their sizing its just better to go in store and try on. What I usually do is get my "size" and then get the next size up that way I can determine which one looks best on me.
  • Kalikel
    Options
    slaite1 wrote: »
    Old navy sizes tend to run big. They also have bigger sizes, so either way you should be able to find something.

But if you are a size 10-12 you should be able to shop at most stores. Maybe not teen stores like Abercrombie bc they are cut differently, but jcpenney, gap, old navy, etc. you should be fine!
    Thanks! I think I'll go just before the 4th and buy some goofy 4th of July shirt to wear to the fireworks...if they still sell stuff like that. I honestly don't even look inside the regular stores. I'll find something. (I hope.)
  • Kalikel
    Options

Gap, Banana Republic, Old Navy tend to run really big. Stores like Loft, Ann Taylor, etc run big also but not as big as the gap brands. If I were you, I wouldn't online shop just yet. It's probably better for you to find what you like and always try the items on....even if it is annoying! Until you find out which stores, brands fit you the best and you understand their sizing its just better to go in store and try on. What I usually do is get my "size" and then get the next size up that way I can determine which one looks best on me.
    Oh, I'm so doing this in person. That's the whole point! I couldn't shop in those stores for 25 years, so I really want to go into one and buy something!! :)

GAP ran big way back when I could shop there, which was when they sold rugby shirts with white, rubber buttons. Banana Republic ran ads with people of all races and had some slogan about colors. The Limited was still cool. Nice to know some things don't change.

I no longer care about cool, much too old for that, but it's going to be so fun to buy clothes wherever I want. :)

I'll totally check out the Gap. :)
  • strong_curves
    Options

Oh, I'm so doing this in person. That's the whole point! I couldn't shop in those stores for 25 years, so I really want to go into one and buy something!! :)

GAP ran big way back when I could shop there, which was when they sold rugby shirts with white, rubber buttons. Banana Republic ran ads with people of all races and had some slogan about colors. The Limited was still cool. Nice to know some things don't change.

I no longer care about cool, much too old for that, but it's going to be so fun to buy clothes wherever I want. :)

I'll totally check out the Gap. :)

Yay! I think you'll be surprised at what sizes can fit you. The only sucky part is sometimes you'll have a few different sizes in your wardrobe. I don't pay attention to the number on the clothes, I pay way more attention to fit. So basically what I'm saying is don't get all wrapped up in that number. If you have to size up just because a bigger size looks better do NOT let that get you down. Sizing, especially for women, is just stupid! Men have it so much better when it comes to sizing imo.

• jaga13
    jaga13 Posts: 1,149 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    I haven't been in this position, but wanted to share this: I recently went to the mall (for a watch) and wandered into a bathing suit store. The horror, right?? I've lost weight since last summer, and was curious if a newer/smaller bathing suit would look better. So I tried some on. One DID look better. The others, not at all. Ultimately, I didn't even buy the one that looked good because I want to give it more time and lose a little more weight before I buy another bathing suit (my current ones are fine for now).

The experience was different than in the past. I didn't feel disappointed. I just observed and moved on. Maybe you will feel the same way? Go try and see. If nothing fits, it's merely an observation and you can always go back later.
  • Psychgrrl
    Psychgrrl Posts: 3,177 Member
    Options
    I love Kohl's. And outlet malls. But I am a discount shopper. I've had lots of luck picking fabrics with give. Find a good tailor. I've bought new stuff, but altering my old suits was way cheaper than buying new ones. And I had some distinctive dresses I'll never be able to buy again. Even new stuff can usually benefit from a nip or a tuck. I'm at my slimmest ever and some stuff, because I'm still hourglass shaped (YAY) just doesn't flatter me. But there's plenty that does. :smiley:

Just take a day, wear neutral undies, shoes and clothes that are easy to get in and out of and start finding out what works fort he new you! And congrats!!!! :smiley:
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options

all of that

odd sizing is junior (teen) sizing. I can wear a 12ish in ladies tops which is about a 15/17 in juniors (based on my own purchases). but all brands are different- thats just a generalization.

stores have different cut off sizing for their plus sizing but *usually* the cutoff is around a 16
  • las07s
    las07s Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Hi! I've only ever gotten up to a size 16 (now between a 14 and 12 like you). I have size issues due to my length, though (I'm 6'0" tall) so I have to spend a bit more on the bottoms.

If you want to feel just amazing, go to New York & Co.. I went there the other day and I bought my first pair of shorts in 5 years! I'm a pear, so I have wide hips, a big bubble butt lol, and thick thighs that rub together. Because of this, I haven't felt comfortable wearing shorts for a while. That ride up into the crotch look was NOT appealing. BUT! On impulse I tried on these cuffed shorts while shopping for new slacks (they have a tall section). They are a rich soft fabric (not jean), are long enough to prevent chafing, and are loose around my thighs (the bliss!). When I went, they had them in a bunch of colors! I bought two, one in grey and one in teal. I like my bottoms looser so I went with a 14, but their sizes went up to 18 from what I saw.

Once you go in, I advise that you try their wrap dresses. It smooths over your trouble areas and hugs your curves, cellulite unseen! In fact, most of their clothes have some give to them and are all very flattering.
  • atypicalsmith
    atypicalsmith Posts: 2,742 Member
    Options
    I've only shopped Goodwill, which isn't very good with sizes. But as soon as I fit back into a size 6 again, I'll let you know!
  • strong_curves
    Options
    las07s wrote: »
    Hi! I've only ever gotten up to a size 16 (now between a 14 and 12 like you). I have size issues due to my length, though (I'm 6'0" tall) so I have to spend a bit more on the bottoms.

If you want to feel just amazing, go to New York & Co.. I went there the other day and I bought my first pair of shorts in 5 years! I'm a pear, so I have wide hips, a big bubble butt lol, and thick thighs that rub together. Because of this, I haven't felt comfortable wearing shorts for a while. That ride up into the crotch look was NOT appealing. BUT! On impulse I tried on these cuffed shorts while shopping for new slacks (they have a tall section). They are a rich soft fabric (not jean), are long enough to prevent chafing, and are loose around my thighs (the bliss!). When I went, they had them in a bunch of colors! I bought two, one in grey and one in teal. I like my bottoms looser so I went with a 14, but their sizes went up to 18 from what I saw.

Once you go in, I advise that you try their wrap dresses. It smooths over your trouble areas and hugs your curves, cellulite unseen! In fact, most of their clothes have some give to them and are all very flattering.

I forgot about NY & Co. This is a great store to shop at, they have tons of sizes and great styles. Wrap dresses are the bomb.com!!!! They look good on almost all women.