Looking for motivation/tips

Options
I'm having trouble staying motivated. I've been trying to exercise but I usually lose interest. And when I try to eat healthy, I usually end up giving up, does anyone have any tips on how to stay motivated?

Replies

• Bizurke51
    Bizurke51 Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    take pics
    set goals
    get in a routine
    enjoy it
    allow yourself to cheat

i'll add u as a friend
  • PinkCoconut
    PinkCoconut Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    For me, it's a few things:

1) Having a deep-seated, solid "why". I would remember why I started this whole journey in the first place and how different things are this time around than in the past when I tried to "get healthy" simply to "lose weight". Having an emotional connection to my goal has been HUGE!

WHY do I want to get this weight off? WHAT is going on in my life/has gone on in my life that has held me back from losing weight in the past. HOW will my life be different when I'm at my goal. WHO will it impact other than myself? How will it FEEL to be at my goal? What will happen if I DON'T take control of my health now?

Really digging deep and having a strong emotional attachment to my goal was the #1 way I stay motivated to lose 100lbs. When you find that why, write it down and make it the first thing you think about every morning and keep it on a piece of paper to look at before every meal and every workout.

2) Understanding that, when it comes to goal achievement, consistency trumps motivation every time. Motivation comes and goes constantly but I remind myself on days when I truly can't see the forest for the trees that as long as I stay consistent (consistent in my workouts and consistent in my eating) that my goals WILL happen. Even if they don't happen quicker than I'd like, as long as I stayed consistent in picking myself up when I get knocked down or even just going through the motions will compound over time and I won't regret it. Does that make sense?

3) Create layers and layers of support and accountability. I check in to MULTIPLE places DAILY with not just my fitness but also my food. This includes MFP, several Facebook challenges that I run, my own Facebook page, like page, Instagram and even Twitter. Doing that ensures that if I DON'T check in, someone out there is going to ask what's going on. I also have several friends and my coach who check in on me if they don't hear from in a few days.

I hope that helps!

Feel free to friend me! :)
  • whmscll
    whmscll Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options
    If you're losing interest in the exercise you're doing, try different exercise. Doing exercise you like is really the key to doing it long-term. That said, exercise is not essential to weight loss. If you eat within your calorie allowance (eat at a caloric deficit) you will lose weight. I agree that you have to find a strong emotional motivator...this is especially important during water weight fluctuations and plateaus when it seems nothing is working.

You also do not have to "eat healthy" to lose weight. Again, the key is to eat fewer calories than you burn. Eating healthy and exercising help with weight loss because they help you feel fuller with less food and keep you from losing too much muscle mass, respectively, but neither one is essential for weight loss.