How do you work out calories burned at home/ how active you are

Options
hi I'm a single mum and I am constantly on the go with my toddler. I work part time looking after people with learning difficulties. I have no idea how to work out how many calories I burn a day. I can Add cleaning or walking but I can't work out how to set my calories. I clean and am constantly on the go with my toddler. But sometimes sitting. At work sometimes it's relaxed and easy and others pushing a person in a wheel chair long distances. I have tried adding what I can as calories burned but I'm weight still and don't want to. Although I desperately don't want to put it on. How can I find a calorie amount for the day ( well week as I like to do it over a week as days are different).

Replies

• tazjosh
    tazjosh Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Sorry it meant to say im loosing weight still and don't want to
  • mariabee
    mariabee Posts: 212 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Under Goals, I would set your Activity Level at Active, but to be honest I wouldn't log things like Cleaning, or general everyday activities. MFP will take into consideration the fact that you are more active than someone set at Sedentary and will set your BMR (I think that's the correct term) accordingly.

In the end, I think between all your activities and sitting it will all balance out. I hope this makes sense. Good luck!
  • tazjosh
    Options
    Thanks hunny, done my weekly weigh in and lost another 3 lbs! Not happy. I've changed it to active and added calories to try put weight on again . But 2500 a day seems high compared to others? I won't add cleaning etc. what about walking? And when I'm at work? On a day I push a heavy wheel chair for a couple of hours I guess I need to add something ?
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    I have a fitbit that integrates with MFP. I bought a zip, with was only $39. But you can buy a $5 pedometer. Fewer than 3500 steps and you're sedentary. 10,000 and you get 400 extra calories.

I thought I ran around too and walked to work and back. But when I got a pedometer I realized I wasn't half as active as I thought I was.
  • CoachJen71
    CoachJen71 Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    I'm not at maintenance yet, but I use a Fitbit to help with the activity tracking, since it is best at counting steps and most of my activity at home or in the classroom is walking-based. It is linked to MFP and adjusts my calories for me. Having something like that would save you from trying to log every activity you do during a day manually. (You would still need to work out how many of those calories burned are available to eat based on your personal metabolism, but it at least takes the activity guesswork out of the equation.)
  • editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    tazjosh wrote: »
    hi I'm a single mum and I am constantly on the go with my toddler. I work part time looking after people with learning difficulties. I have no idea how to work out how many calories I burn a day. I can Add cleaning or walking but I can't work out how to set my calories. I clean and am constantly on the go with my toddler. But sometimes sitting. At work sometimes it's relaxed and easy and others pushing a person in a wheel chair long distances. I have tried adding what I can as calories burned but I'm weight still and don't want to. Although I desperately don't want to put it on. How can I find a calorie amount for the day ( well week as I like to do it over a week as days are different).

Anything you do regularly is part of your activity level—not exercise. Including work, housework, yard work, and child care. Only log exercise as exercise.

Maintenance (just like weight loss) takes a whole lot of trial & error to find what works for you. Pick an activity level, log your exercise & food for several weeks, then reevaluate your progress.

Your weight will fluctuate, so choose a goal range, not a weight. If your weight goes above your window, cut calories. If it goes below, add calories.

Looking at your nutrition for the past 7 days (not just today) is easier in the app.
  • tazjosh
    Options
    Thanks guys. I thought about buying a Fitbit but I don't understand how
  • tazjosh
    Options
    Sorry.... How I would work out what calories I eat compared to what I burn?
  • tazjosh
    Options
    Also I look at the past 7 days but don't understand the chart I know there is a bug but I can't work out how they work out averages. I end up adding all my intake (- burned) over a week and divide it by 7?
  • editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    tazjosh wrote: »
    Sorry.... How I would work out what calories I eat compared to what I burn?

Choose an activity level & set your goal to .5 lb. per week for every 25 lbs. you're overweight. Learn to log everything you eat & drink accurately & honestly. After several weeks, reevaluate your progress & adjust your calories accordingly.

Read the Sexypants post. So much good "how-to" information: https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1080242/a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants/p1
  • tazjosh
    Options
    mariabee wrote: »
    Under Goals, I would set your Activity Level at Active, but to be honest I wouldn't log things like Cleaning, or general everyday activities. MFP will take into consideration the fact that you are more active than someone set at Sedentary and will set your BMR (I think that's the correct term) accordingly.

In the end, I think between all your activities and sitting it will all balance out. I hope this makes sense. Good luck!

Thanks loads hinny that's really helped
  • BWBTrish
    BWBTrish Posts: 2,817 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Its very simple

Eat the 2500 for 2, 3 or 4 weeks see if you lose weight, gain weight or stay the same.
    When you lose weight up your intake with 100 calories so 2600 a day and do this again for some weeks.
    when you gain lower it with 100 and when you stay the same ( about) you found your maintenance level.

It takes a bit of patience thats all. But when you dont want to lose anymore and you lost 3 pounds in one week i sure would up it to 2500 and take that as a starting point.

weeks when you are less active eat a bit less weeks you are more active eat a bit more.

I maintained my weight before for more than 20 years and it works perfect that way
  • tazjosh
    Options
    Its very simple

Eat the 2500 for 2, 3 or 4 weeks see if you lose weight, gain weight or stay the same.
    When you lose weight up your intake with 100 calories so 2600 a day and do this again for some weeks.
    when you gain lower it with 100 and when you stay the same ( about) you found your maintenance level.

It takes a bit of patience thats all. But when you dont want to lose anymore and you lost 3 pounds in one week i sure would up it to 2500 and take that as a starting point.

weeks when you are less active eat a bit less weeks you are more active eat a bit more.

I maintained my weight before for more than 20 years and it works perfect that way

Thankyou hunny, I think I'm getting the hang of it and I'm sure I won't put the 2 stone back on if I'm careful I think I need to be a bit more patient of finding the right calorie intake.