The Clean plate club

Options
I am sure many of us were brought up to be members of this club
with adults saying you cant leave the table until your plate is cleared - no dessert and the classic in our house - what about the starving children in Africa - well what about them :)

Who is in control the food or ME - well I am a grown up and I choose to leave the clean plate club and never ask for member ship again

So in order to prepare for xmas meals when I may or will not be in charge of the amount that is put on my plate - I am at least once a day, until then, going to leave food on my plate and practice at throwing it away

Today I have left some of my breakfas,t a whole packet of baked snacks at lunch and for dinner about 1/4 of my portion of chips (fries) found the bin

so anyone else want to leave the clean plate club and finally be the one in control?

Replies

• sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    Options
    Yes lol...man when I saw this topic I knew exactly what you were talking about.

Even now, it's much easier for me to just start with a smaller portion than to leave some behind.
  • KarlDR
    KarlDR Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I'd just cook less personally.
  • Paige1108
    Paige1108 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    One more reason to love my dog. I leave a little and he's happy to take care of it. Clean plate and no going over. Win/ Win.
  • crispaholicshaz
    crispaholicshaz Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    This is & has been a big part of my battle with food, all of my entire life and i am trying very hard not to get my 4yr old membership.... i want him to be full, but he gets bored sitting down to eat. Mainly cause he takes forever, and would eat all on his plate if i spoon feed him. so i know he isn't full... plus he then asks for treats.. try to have fruit in, and offer that instead.. Which he often takes. :smile:
    I try to do myself smaller portions so he see's mummy finish all hers..
  • gypsyish
    gypsyish Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Because I count calories and measure out all the food on my plate, I'm perfectly fine cleaning my plate. If I wasn't going to though, I think I would rather save food for leftovers than throw it out. I'm not going to force myself to overeat, but I'm not personally okay with being wasteful either.
  • crispaholicshaz
    crispaholicshaz Posts: 79 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Paige1108 wrote: »
    One more reason to love my dog. I leave a little and he's happy to take care of it. Clean plate and no going over. Win/ Win.
    We have a Staffie, but she cant have Mushrooms, or a lot of other human food cause of sensitive tum. unlike my 15yr old Jack Russel X Lake-land terrier. He was a walking dustbin.. bless him.. lol.. (lost him feb 20015)
  • Tubbs216
    Tubbs216 Posts: 6,597 Member
    Options
    Zombie thread alert!

But, yes, I was in the club too, and my parents were of the generation where if you didn't clean your plate, it was presented to you again at the next meal. I'm certain some of my mother's ensuing food issues were passed down to my sister and me.
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    Options
    I don't leave so much as a smudge on my plate. My plate contains the number of calories that fit my plan and I am going to eat every last one of them.
  • gypsyish
    gypsyish Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Tubbs216 wrote: »
    Zombie thread alert!

Darn, it got me lol.
  • FitForL1fe
    FitForL1fe Posts: 1,872 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    lol score

Friday thread necro :mrgreen:

all the way back to 2011, I think that's the longest one I've seen so far tbh

oh and on topic, my dishwasher cleans my plates
  • Tubbs216
    Tubbs216 Posts: 6,597 Member
    Options
    draznyth wrote: »
    lol score

Yeah, that was an oldie.

Also, our next dog is going to be called Prewash.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    I didn't have to clean my full plate when i was a kid, other than the vegies. If i ate every single last vegetable then i could leave the table.

Up until recently i used to give my left overs to my dog, but she's on a diet now, so has made things slightly tricky :tired_face:
  • FitForL1fe
    Options
    Tubbs216 wrote: »
    lol score

Yeah, that was an oldie.

Also, our next dog is going to be called Prewash.

I lol'd
  • DeguelloTex
    Options
    The reference to Christmas meals was a giveaway.
  • FitForL1fe
    Options

obviously you haven't heard of Christmas in July mi amigo
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    sofaking6 wrote: »
    Even now, it's much easier for me to just start with a smaller portion than to leave some behind.

Me too. So that's what I do. Except at restaurants, where I've learned to feel good about leaving some (unfortunately I often go to plays afterwards, so don't want to be carting around leftovers).

Edit: argh, it got me!
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options
    aaleigha1 wrote: »
    with adults saying you cant leave the table until your plate is cleared - no dessert and the classic in our house - what about the starving children in Africa - well what about them :)

Who is in control the food or ME - well I am a grown up and I choose to leave the clean plate club and never ask for member ship again

So in order to prepare for xmas meals when I may or will not be in charge of the amount that is put on my plate - I am at least once a day, until then, going to leave food on my plate and practice at throwing it away

Today I have left some of my breakfas,t a whole packet of baked snacks at lunch and for dinner about 1/4 of my portion of chips (fries) found the bin

so anyone else want to leave the clean plate club and finally be the one in control?

So you are going to be purposely making more food than you want and throwing it away? That is purposely wasting food. I am sorry, but I can't really support that. It's one thing if you made a portion and were full before done with all of it, but you are purposely making food to throw away.
  • FitForL1fe
    Options
    elphie754 wrote: »
    aaleigha1 wrote: »

So you are going to be purposely making more food than you want and throwing it away? That is purposely wasting food. I am sorry, but I can't really support that. It's one thing if you made a portion and were full before done with all of it, but you are purposely making food to throw away.

good job missing all the posts in the thread about it being 4 years old lol
  • DeguelloTex
    Options

Navidad en julio, por favor.

• FitForL1fe
    Options

Navidad en julio, por favor.

well played