pre diabetes

Options
Just diagnosed prediabetes. Should I adjust my sugar and carbs from what is reccommended in my goal page? There was no place to put in anything about that and I am not sure if what is suggested for weight loss.

Replies

• callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    I will assume you are overweight. If so, i would work on losing weight and exercising. That very well may resolve the issue.
  • nanakins6
    nanakins6 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Yes I am overweight by about 75 pounds. I just wasn't sure if the guidelines for weight loss would be ok or if I should adjust carbs and sugar. Although truth be told the weight loss guidelines in and of themselves will be a huge adjustment compared to what I have been eating. Thanks!
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    nanakins6 wrote: »
    Just diagnosed prediabetes. Should I adjust my sugar and carbs from what is reccommended in my goal page? There was no place to put in anything about that and I am not sure if what is suggested for weight loss.

Did your doctor give you a range of carbs to eat? If not, I wouldn't worry too much about it and concentrate on general diet and exercise. Next time you see you doctor, or if you can get a referral to a Registered Dietician or a Certified Diabetic Educator, ask about their recommendation for total carbs. Pre-diabetes is where your body isn't handling carbs as well as it should, but your blood sugars are not in the range where damage can occur (full-blown diabetes). Good to nip it in the bud now. many are able to with losing weight and exercise but some may need to adjust their carb intake. Your doctor can tell you what is best for you.

• nanakins6
    nanakins6 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much!
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    Even my type 1 diabetic daughter gets along much easier with less carb intake. And reducing carbs even in her case, without insulin resistance, has been recommended by her endocrinologist.
  • Healthymom_5
    Healthymom_5 Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    Hi Nanakins6,
    Some do fine just losing weight and exercising, but after doing much research I opted for a more aggressive approach and reduced my carbs as well and it has worked for me. My fasting numbers creep up if I don't watch my carbs, even at my lower current weight. Here is a link to the Diabetes, Prediabetes and Insulin Resistant group here on MFP. It is not a highly active group on a daily basis, but there is some good reading, and knowledgeable people respond if you post a question.
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/512-diabetes-prediabetes-and-insulin-resistance
    I wish you much success in conquering this!
  • missiontofitness
    missiontofitness Posts: 4,074 Member
    Options
    nanakins6 wrote: »

Has your doctor given you any recommendations for what your macros should be set at? If not, bring it up at your next appointment. In the meantime, focus on a calorie deficit, and keeping close track of your blood sugar. Weight loss will be your biggest tool right now to manage it. Good luck!
  • daniwilford
    daniwilford Posts: 1,030 Member
    Options
    Have many diabetics in my family and was recently diagnosed with pre-diabetes. People who are managing with diet recommend a max of 45-60 carbs per meal or snack. If you are eating natural sugars that occur in foods with high fiber contents then it is ok to go to the higher end if not stay at the lower side. Eating enough protein will help stabilize your blood sugars so you can avoid spikes and crashes.
  • Monklady123
    Monklady123 Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    I was just diagnosed pre-diabetes also. My doctor told me to lose weight, exercise (walking is fine she said), and never to have a meal of *just* easily broken down carbs and little protein. So my morning bagel with jelly is out, and eggs and one slice of toast is in. She said to always balance protein and carbs. My lunch today is one slice of Ezekiel bread with a slice of cheddar melted on top, some almonds, and some strawberries. If I have rice with our chicken stir-fry I measure and only have 1/2 cup of rice instead of the huge mound I used to have.

All of this has left me feeling SO much better, and I've lost a few pounds since starting. :)
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    "Reducing carbs" can mean many different things to different people. Plus, different people will respond to different carbs different ways. As others have said, reducing weight (body fat) is the most significant way to positively affect you situation.

I would start with modest carb reduction, a focus on whole grain and vegetable sources of carbs, and getting a glucose meter to test your blood sugar multiple times a day at first. You'll soon find out what makes your sugar spike and what doesn't.
  • rbiss
    rbiss Posts: 422 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    I wouldn't adjust your macros yet. Losing weight will slow and can reverse pre diabetes. You must commit to exercise and a healthy diet though. It will be easier to do it now than later with diabetes. Always include protein in your meals and if you are worried about carbs, eat ones that won't cause spikes in blood sugar like pasta.
  • daniwilford
    daniwilford Posts: 1,030 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    BTW both my mother and my aunt were diagnosed with diabetes around 60 years of age. They both lost weight and controlled with diet. My Aunt lived a healthy life taking care of her own yard, garden, and 8 cows until she died at the age of 89. My mother is a very active 82 year old who retired from her career as a librarian a year and a half ago.
  • DaliaMaria1173
    DaliaMaria1173 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I will assume you are overweight. If so, i would work on losing weight and exercising. That very well may resolve the issue.

Not always. For many, diabetes has a strong genetic component. My thin-as-a-rail brother is prediabetic. And many, many family members on my mom's side are as well. My maternal grandmother and every one of her 7 siblings were diabetic, regardless of weight.