For the women who've recently transitioned from very fat to normal or relatively thin...

Options

Replies

• girlwithcurls2
    girlwithcurls2 Posts: 2,263 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options

[/quote]

Yay! I think you'll be surprised at what sizes can fit you. The only sucky part is sometimes you'll have a few different sizes in your wardrobe. I don't pay attention to the number on the clothes, I pay way more attention to fit. So basically what I'm saying is don't get all wrapped up in that number. If you have to size up just because a bigger size looks better do NOT let that get you down. Sizing, especially for women, is just stupid! Men have it so much better when it comes to sizing imo.

[/quote]

Totally ignore the size number. It can be hard to do, but really, go with what looks flattering and feels good. I have everything from a size 8 to a 12 in my closet. I also have 8s that are waaaay too small, and 12s that I hope to never fit into again. Make it about looking and feeling good :)
  • Cortneyrenee04
    Cortneyrenee04 Posts: 1,117 Member
    Options
    I know what you mean. I was really afraid to go into new (to me) stores and leave with nothing because I was still too big! I finally started going to non-department stores when I was a size 9/10 and in medium tops. I couldn't believe I could finally fit into stuff from forever21 and Charlotte Russe! And not even close too wit biggest sizes!

I'm sure at your size now you'll find something. Only one way to find out!
  • azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,196 Member
    Options
    Yes, go shop in regular stores. I agree that Gap and Old Navy run a bit big. I also like NY & Co., but I've only ever bought things from them online. I think that their sizes run a tiny bit small. Their quality is pretty decent for the price and they have good sales.

My "big deal" shopping experience was to be able to finally buy a beautiful designer dress from Anthropologie. I ordered something from then online, on sale at a very deep discount and in a size that was likely to be too small. When it arrived, it fit absolutely perfectly. It is a great feeling.

Most of my favorite clothes these days are from TJ Maxx and Marshall's. I try not to spend much money on clothes while my body is still changing, but you can get really nice things there for almost nothing.
  • deannasimon2
    deannasimon2 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Having lost 120 lbs, I started in the plus sizes and had a very difficult time when I needed to shop in the regular stores. Even now, that I have been maintaining for a year and am a size 2, 4 or 6, depending on the brand, I still take at least 2 sizes of everything to try on. It's trial and error. I have been successful at Kohl's, H&M, Old Navy and Macys. Still a little to intimidated to go to some of the other stores, but I will get there.
  • kissesdahling
    kissesdahling Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I know in this thread people have mentioned odd numbers are juniors sizes (which true) and even numbers are "women's sizes"--that's incorrect. The standard size for females is called "misses" (I majored in fashion) and the distinction is important because "women's" is often synonymous with plus sizes, and you are not a plus size any more. The distinction is also important, because there is sometimes size overlap (like there is a misses 14 and a women's 14), but the women's clothing item would be cut differently to accommodate a fuller figure. Likewise, if a 13 fits you better than 14's or 12's, it's because your body type is more like a junior's (right now, and that could change). (And there's nothing wrong with that--the only reason there are these different size ranges for women--juniors, misses, women's-- is so that theoretically there is a fit that would work for different body types.)

Some cheaper stores may combine juniors and misses, usually using the misses numeration (even numbers), too. The thing about clothing for women is there is almost no standardization whatsoever compared to men's clothing and women also have extremely varying body types from one another so even three different main cuts of clothes (five, if you count talls and petites) don't accommodate every one.
  • Peachiko87
    Peachiko87 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    After reading/skimming most of the posts here, my only question is: Old Navy runs big...? o_o
  • justcat206
    justcat206 Posts: 716 Member
    Options
    Yup. doesn't matter what you weigh, clothing sizes are a gamble. I'm petite and have to try on EVERYthing because things rarely fit right even though I shop at non "fat-lady" stores. Just clear out a little time, pick the stores with the clothing styles you like the best, eyeball it a little and then try on enough clothes to get the hang of that brand's sizing patterns. I have everything from 0-6 in my closet depending on brand because there's so much inconsistency. Best of luck, you'll get the hang of it eventually :)
  • MaryEHawthorne
    MaryEHawthorne Posts: 3 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    I would recommend trying goodwill or value village stores if they are near you - the clothes are not new, but you can try on a ton of variety, see what labels/designers fit you best and get a whole wardrobe for less than a few items at a "real" store. Dresses are also super comfy and forgiving - as long as the shoulders fit, you can wear the same size dress through several "sizes." I've only been a size 18, down to size 8, now a 12, but that's how I got through size changes happily and comfortably :) lots of cute and high quality items get donated!
  • folgers86
    folgers86 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    NY & Co is amazing, especially for tops. I've found tops at Chicos that I love (warning: they don't use standard sizes as in I'm a M-L top and I'm a size 1 there) as well as J. Jill. However, I personally find Gap to run small and I think I've only ever found one, maybe two, tops that fit well enough to buy. Ditto Banana Republic, J. Crew, and Express. I personally stick to NY&Co, Chicos, J. Jill, and department stores. If I need a dress then I usually check out Dressbarn. I do agree that Old Navy is a good bet :) I've found tops that I like at Ann Taylor, but I find their pants to be a tight fit, I couldn't fit their size 12 even though I'm between a 10-12 everywhere else. So basically, yes, you should be able to shop in mall stores and find clothes you like but it may take some trial and error to find the brands that work best for YOUR body!
  • aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    Options
    I have loved Kohl's ever since getting to my highest weight...they seem to always have SOMETHING that fits me. I am now in a 14 and I typically shop at Old Navy, Target and Ross for my clothes ... only 'cause it can be a little pricier for Kohl's if I don't have a coupon.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    For me it was around size 12 that I realized most plus size 12's fit me like 14/16 and went to misses 12 and juniors 13.

Now I'm in size 10 (11 juniors) and feel that I can happily shop almost anywhere. I still have to look for specific fits in jeans because I have wide hips, small waist. Juniors/urban seem to be best for that, somewhat surprisingly. Other stuff I can just grab a 10.

I still have the issue of most tops & dresses I'm a medium or large, but once in a while I need XL. It is seemingly without rhyme or reason as well. Sometimes I will fit into a medium juniors dress and then need L or XL in a brand that is designed for more mature women...I think it's all about the brand and/or cut. Just have fun with it.

P.S. I understand how weird it feels at first! I always worried for a little while that people would try to direct me to the plus section in stores, lol. I wore size 9 & 11 when I was in elementary school and by junior high I wore plus size 16 (and was always plus sized until age 36).
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    My mall doesn't have a New York & Co, but there is a Gap there.

I'll try the Gap and pray for success.

Thanks, everyone! :)
  • faithyang
    faithyang Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    Clothes shopping tend to always be a hit and miss. I'm not very adventurous with my clothing styles because my self esteem was just garbage when I was fat, so I didn't experiment at all, stuck to styles which I had been wearing since I was 16 - ill-fitting and very childish looking, making me look even fatter and I guess, more like a cartoon character you couldn't take seriously!

As a result I'm still exploring my new-found "slim" body and fashions but its hard because I'm so fashion challenged and developmentally stunted in that area if its not bad enough I now have problems finding things in my size because many stores I shop at such as Target do not stock it or don't have enough so it flies out quick, but I'm still sort of finding my way around a suitable style for myself!

But I agree with @HappyCampr1, its a good problem to have, certainly not a 'problem' per se lol but I guess things you don't really consider when you're in the process of losing weight. You just picture sexy bikini shots and a slim physique in a nice casual wear setting and no one giving you those judgemental 'why can't you just put that doughnut down' look. :smile:

Btw, just to add - fashion knows no sizes! I've seen so many plus sized (I hate that word) hotties who so totally rock their own styles they make every other smaller girl run for cover! :smiley:
  • azulvioleta6
    Options
    Peachiko87 wrote: »
    After reading/skimming most of the posts here, my only question is: Old Navy runs big...? o_o

very
  • lishie_rebooted
    lishie_rebooted Posts: 2,973 Member
    Options

It really doesnt.

It, and its sister stores, run very inconsistent. I've ordered thesame pants on the same size, in different colors, all fit different.
    some days I'm a 2 there, some days I'm a 6.
  • lishie_rebooted
    lishie_rebooted Posts: 2,973 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Kalikel wrote: »
    My mall doesn't have a New York & Co, but there is a Gap there.

I'll try the Gap and pray for success.

Thanks, everyone! :)

Honestly, since you're still losing, I wouldn't go to the Gap. 70$ jeans.

I'd hit up a consignment shop or TJ Maxx/Marshalls
  • azulvioleta6
    Options

It really doesnt.

It, and its sister stores, run very inconsistent. I've ordered thesame pants on the same size, in different colors, all fit different.
    some days I'm a 2 there, some days I'm a 6.

I wear large or sometimes even extra large tops everywhere else--big boobs. At Old Navy, I am a medium.
  • faithyang
    faithyang Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    Old Navy is AWESOME! I buy all my workout clothes there, and they have many casual clothes. And they are much bigger than other stores, alot looser too. But as with women's sizes - some of us have bigger hips, chunkier on the thighs, etc etc.

I have no bum to speak of and my legs are stuck in purgatory - too fat for my ethnicity and too skinny for the normal American sizes - so when I wear Asian sizes my thighs stretch the fabric to kingdom come and when I wear American sizes I'm like sashaying around in 70s bell bottoms even though its a super skinny. :/
  • Tubbs216
    Tubbs216 Posts: 6,597 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    At my heaviest I was 'in between' stores. When I went into the regular stores XL was a bit tight, but when I went to the plus size stores the women working there would say "What are you doing in here?" Also, because I'm not busty, even the 1X t-shirts were too baggy for me. It was one such shopping trip that made me decide I either had to gain some weight or lose some, and I decided to lose. Within a couple of months I was comfortably back into regular sizes.

Edit: re Old Navy. I'm a 10 in most store sizes now, sometimes a 12, but I'm an 8 in Old Navy jeans. And in my head. :D
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Tubbs216 wrote: »
    At my heaviest I was 'in between' stores. When I went into the regular stores XL was a bit tight, but when I went to the plus size stores the women working there would say "What are you doing in here?" Also, because I'm not busty, even the 1X t-shirts were too baggy for me. It was one such shopping trip that made me decide I either had to gain some weight or lose some, and I decided to lose. Within a couple of months I was comfortably back into regular sizes.

Edit: re Old Navy. I'm a 10 in most store sizes now, sometimes a 12, but I'm an 8 in Old Navy jeans. And in my head. :D

Thanks, Tubbs. That's very helpful. :)

In-between stores. Good term! That's how I feel. I'm not sure if I'm in-between or ready to shop in regular stores. :)