Got happy, and got fat :(

That saying when you are in a cozy relationship..your fat and happy. I may have taken it to far past truth. LOL.
I've always been the "curvy" girl. But even after a divorce and 4 kids I managed to keep my weight at a moderately comfortable size. But when I met my now husband 3 yrs ago, I made snacks, dinners, desserts. Spoiled him and my kids for the first few years. Now I'm 60 lbs overweight and miserable. I want the "Me" back that used to be there. My lack of motivation and support from family is my biggest problem. I stay home, so I have plenty of time to workout, if i could convince myself to get out of bed. :(

Replies

• deceived1
    deceived1 Posts: 281 Member
    You don't need to exercise to get on the right track.

Your first step to weight loss is figuring out how many calories you need to maintain your current weight, and cut about 20% of them to create a deficit. Log and weigh every single thing you put in your mouth.

The weight will come off.

Exercise can help create an even larger calorie deficit and also makes you feel much better, but is not necessary.
  • CharsNewLife29
    CharsNewLife29 Posts: 9 Member
    I don't exercise alot, but I have a treadmill. that occasionally when I can dig up some inspiration I walk on it. I used to run daily. I want to get back to that point one day. :(
  • CharsNewLife29
    I'm using MFP app to track my calories. I'm starving. But hopefully that feeling will stop soon after my body adjusts to me not binge eating
  • BZAH10
    BZAH10 Posts: 5,710 Member
    I'm using MFP app to track my calories. I'm starving. But hopefully that feeling will stop soon after my body adjusts to me not binge eating

It will. It's a matter of creating new habits. It is NOT about motivation or willpower. How badly do you want it? If you want something badly enough you will put in the work to get there. Simply DECIDE you will eat less or healthier or be more active. Decide, then do it. Don't over think it or ask yourself if you "feel" like it.
  • CharsNewLife29
    Thank you for the support! I've tried alot of different diet tricks and failed. I really need to be committed to making it work this time!
  • BZAH10
    BZAH10 Posts: 5,710 Member
    Small changes. Just a couple at a time. Cut back on the treats (for the whole family). Gradually. Add more vegetables to meals. Again, gradually.

Tell yourself that if you get out of bed and walk for 10 min. on the treadmill then you can go back to bed. Chances are you won't want to go back to bed, but giving yourself an option helps. Or, if you really dread the treadmill go walk around the block. Or start doing really light body weight exercises. Nothing formal or structured, if that is overwhelming right now.

Once you start seeing that you CAN make changes and stick with it, keep adding on and your confidence will build. But, don't expect the "old you" you return over night. Create a NEW you that can maintain a healthier lifestyle.
  • Pooh973
    Pooh973 Posts: 62 Member
    I joined a 10,000 steps challenge at work...After learning how very little steps I actually took in a day's time, I was motivated to treat my body better. You're so right about life...we get happy, gain a few pounds, and become complacent, but we don't have to settle for less than our best selves. Good luck with your journey! I am enjoying mine...feel free to add me.
  • Actually if you're having trouble getting out of bed, well, I'm no mental health professional, but that's one of the classic signs of depression. You can easily be depressed even though (and sometimes because!) you're in a "happy place."

You may consider talking to your primary care doc or mental health professional to see what he/she thinks.

Exercise can give you the yummy endorphins to make you feel happier, but you have to get to a point where you are ready to exercise first. Professional help is good. :smile:
  • opalle
    opalle Posts: 234 Member
    That saying when you are in a cozy relationship..your fat and happy. I may have taken it to far past truth. LOL.
    :(

Yep, that pretty much describes me too. Only been on a week but find it very helpful. Just learning about portions open my eyes to how much I was overeating before.

You are already making positive changes. Take advice from those who have already succeeded and just keep at it. You can do this.
  • CharsNewLife29
    opalle wrote: »
    :(

Yep, that pretty much describes me too. Only been on a week but find it very helpful. Just learning about portions open my eyes to how much I was overeating before.

You are already making positive changes. Take advice from those who have already succeeded and just keep at it. You can do this.

Thanks for your support. I did just get complacent in my life. The daily hustle with kids, I lost sight of how good i used to feel when I felt good about my body and was proud of how I looked. You don't care for yourself proper when you don't like your body. I'm ready to get back to a "happy place" within myself.
  • PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    Yup. My biggest jumps in weight have been during relationships. One because it was terrible, and the other because it's great. You really can't win when you let your circumstances determine your own well being.
  • opalle
    opalle Posts: 234 Member
    Oh I hear you. After the boyfriend moved in 4 years ago I got complacent and starting eating like he does. He works a labor intensive job, probably burns at least 2800 calories a day and is still in great shape. I work a desk job and .. well... not so great. But l already lost 2 lbs in the first week. Eventually I'll get there, and so will you.
  • gothicfires
    gothicfires Posts: 240 Member
    There is no reason you can't be fit and happy. If you've been feeding your kids the same thing you've been feeding yourself then this looks like a change you need to make for the whole family. It is much easier to have a healthy life style if you learn it as a kid. So get the whole family to move.
  • GeekdGirl
    GeekdGirl Posts: 218 Member
    There is no reason you can't be fit and happy. If you've been feeding your kids the same thing you've been feeding yourself then this looks like a change you need to make for the whole family. It is much easier to have a healthy life style if you learn it as a kid. So get the whole family to move.

Quoted for so much truth!
  • petracox
    petracox Posts: 7 Member
    opalle wrote: »
    Oh I hear you. After the boyfriend moved in 4 years ago I got complacent and starting eating like he does. He works a labor intensive job, probably burns at least 2800 calories a day and is still in great shape. I work a desk job and .. well... not so great. But l already lost 2 lbs in the first week. Eventually I'll get there, and so will you.

I'm much the same, my husband it 192cm and can eat like a horse. If I don't watch myself I serve the same size meals for me and put on weight fast!
  • dufus12
    dufus12 Posts: 393 Member
    edited June 2015
    Actually if you're having trouble getting out of bed, well, I'm no mental health professional, but that's one of the classic signs of depression. You can easily be depressed even though (and sometimes because!) you're in a "happy place."

You may consider talking to your primary care doc or mental health professional to see what he/she thinks.

Exercise can give you the yummy endorphins to make you feel happier, but you have to get to a point where you are ready to exercise first. Professional help is good. :smile:

I think she just meant getting out of bed earlier than normal to fit work out in,,, with 4 kids I doubt there is much time to lie in bed all day!

But, wait....you were being tongue in cheek, weren't you??? Ha! Naughty boy!