For the women who've recently transitioned from very fat to normal or relatively thin...

Options

Replies

• TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    Options
    When I was still losing, mostly Old Navy, and mostly stretchy, yoga-type pants.

When I got closer to goal, everywhere. Kohl's, Gap, Ross, Express, Old Navy, Nordstrom Rack, etc. I'm an 8 mostly, but a 10 in some brands. You really do have to try before you buy.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    I'm kind of cracking up at how people are describing themselves. "Big boobs", "chunkier on the thighs" etc. :smiley: Also fun to hear everyone's different ideas. :)

I have a flat butt, normal hips and big, fat, sloppy, hideous thighs...for my body. Compared to skinny bodies, it's all huge, but that's just how it all fits together on me. I so rarely wear pants that the thighs aren't a huge issue, they just kind of get surrounded and hidden by the shorts (which are never tight and usually nylon)...but I hate them. :)

Right now, any shirt I buy has to be sleeveless and preferably nylon, so I don't I'd find one in the mall. Maybe, but it doubt it.

There's a store at Disney that I want to buy a dress in, but I'm absolutely waiting until I'm in a 10 for that. Maybe 8. I've been in there and the dresses aren't big.

Mall first, Disney second. Maybe, possibly, probably not (!), but *maaaybee* Victoria's Secret. Some day. Maybe. :)
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    I am in Canada so I shop at winners (equal to TJ max I think) I love silver jeans....

I find American eagle runs odd for sizes...one type a 4 for me one type a 6...

Old navy does run odd sizes..you have to look at the cut of them.

If you are still losing...consignment or outlets are the key.
  • Timorous_Beastie
    Timorous_Beastie Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    Try on everything. When I go shopping, I take three of any given item in the fitting room. The size I think I am, and one size up and one size down. I'll buy whatever looks and feels best, and not care what the tag says, because the sizing is inconsistent, even in the same brands. There's been times I took three sizes in the dressing room and the "smallest" fit the loosest.

• MoiAussi93
    MoiAussi93 Posts: 1,948 Member
    Options
    Peachiko87 wrote: »
    After reading/skimming most of the posts here, my only question is: Old Navy runs big...? o_o

It really doesnt.

It, and its sister stores, run very inconsistent. I've ordered thesame pants on the same size, in different colors, all fit different.
    some days I'm a 2 there, some days I'm a 6.

I wear large or sometimes even extra large tops everywhere else--big boobs. At Old Navy, I am a medium.

Agreed, Old Navy sizes are gigantic. I am AT LEAST one size smaller there than at any other store: chain stores like Gap, H&M, etc. or dept. store brands like Liz Claiborne, Jones New York, Tahari, etc. I recently within a two week period (with no change in weight or measurements) bought a nice suit skirt by Tahari that was a size 8 (the 6 fit but was a little tight), size 6 jeans that fit perfectly from TJ Maxx (some brand I never heard of)...but when I went to Old Navy I bought shorts and a fitted skirt in size 4. And I actually managed to get a size 2 on and zipped even though it looked terrible!!!!

I tell all my friends that if they are having a bad day or need an ego boost, they should go to Old Navy to try on clothes. LOL!!!
  • MoiAussi93
    MoiAussi93 Posts: 1,948 Member
    Options
    But OP, yes you can now find things to fit at just about any store. Most stores go up to at least a size 14. Some go to 16. Be aware, sizes can be different not only store to store but also at one store. You might wear a 12 in one style of pants but a 14 in a different style in the same store. Women's clothing has no consistency.

I also encourage you to try places like TJ Maxx, Burlington Coat Factory (not just coats!) and Marshalls. I have lost 100 pounds and didn't want to spend much money on clothes that I was hoping would be too big in a few months, so got very friendly with those stores. The jeans I bought (my favorite jeans ever...look fantastic) cost $17. Much less than you would pay in the Gap or even in Old Navy which is usually pretty cheap.
  • blankiefinder
    blankiefinder Posts: 3,599 Member
    Options
    I never shopped in plus stores, I started this journey at 16, just as it was becoming hard to shop at regular stores. At size 10, I had to give in and go buy some clothes, as mine were literally falling off. I threw myself on the mercy of a store clerk at Lucky Brand Jeans, and she was great getting me fitted into a pair that I loved. When I out shrunk that pair 2 months later, I went back and bought the same thing a few sizes smaller. I bought the Brooke mid rise straight jeans, but they have lots of styles and cuts.

Their sizes run big, especially if you get a 'made in America' pair. Prices were not unreasonable unlike some other jean places.
  • IriaSparcast
    IriaSparcast Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Cato is one of my favourite stores - they cater to a "curvy" body shape, from size 4 to size 20+. VERY reasonably priced, good quality, and my experiences with their local store feels like shopping at a high-end boutique. Shipping to their store is free, and my local one lets me try on things in-store before i leave, so that if it doesn't fit, I can return right away.

I started last year in an 18 bottom/XL top (44"-37"-52")
    Now I wear a 12 bottom/S-M top (40"-31"-44")

As you can imagine, finding pants without that horrible gap at the back was an exercise in tears and anguish until a friend told me about Cato.

• spoonyspork
    spoonyspork Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    MoiAussi93 wrote: »
    Peachiko87 wrote: »
    After reading/skimming most of the posts here, my only question is: Old Navy runs big...? o_o

It really doesnt.

It, and its sister stores, run very inconsistent. I've ordered thesame pants on the same size, in different colors, all fit different.
    some days I'm a 2 there, some days I'm a 6.

I wear large or sometimes even extra large tops everywhere else--big boobs. At Old Navy, I am a medium.

Agreed, Old Navy sizes are gigantic. I am AT LEAST one size smaller there than at any other store: chain stores like Gap, H&M, etc. or dept. store brands like Liz Claiborne, Jones New York, Tahari, etc. I recently within a two week period (with no change in weight or measurements) bought a nice suit skirt by Tahari that was a size 8 (the 6 fit but was a little tight), size 6 jeans that fit perfectly from TJ Maxx (some brand I never heard of)...but when I went to Old Navy I bought shorts and a fitted skirt in size 4. And I actually managed to get a size 2 on and zipped even though it looked terrible!!!!

I tell all my friends that if they are having a bad day or need an ego boost, they should go to Old Navy to try on clothes. LOL!!!

Completely disagree. Size 6 Old Navy pants all fit from 'comfortably' to 'slightly big' (depending on the style... like Diva or whatnot), while all their 4's are 'juuuust too tight'.

Every store - every single other store, across the price ranges and styles - I am currently in between a 2 and 4. Target in particular makes me feel GREAT (2's that are too loose, lol. Used to complain they 'ran small' when 14's were too tight, too...)
  • Lourdesong
    Lourdesong Posts: 1,492 Member
    Options
    I worked at a Lane Bryant about 10 years ago and the 14/16 size(s) were pointless, they only sold if an item in 18/20 ran so laughably large that a person had to size down, or when smart shoppers who didn't have to shop there got these iems on clearance marked down 70% or more!
    Lane Bryant also ran large and was very forgiving in cuts and materials so the size 18 ladies were closer to a size 20 in department stores women's section. (This varies by brand as well, but generally speaking Lane Bryant and other plus size stores flatter the customer in more ways than one).
    When I began losing weight I figured I would have to be at least an 18 before I could shop in the misses dept, but once I got down to a size 20 most dept stores and stand alone stores cater to that size in their misses line, the options are less, though, meaning not every style would go up to a size 20 or an xxl.
    But as I've gotten smaller, more options are offered to me, i.e., more styles offered for 18's than 20's, and even more offered for 16's than 18's, and more for 14's than 16's.
    I feel like a size medium and smaller or 12 and smaller is probably when I'll feel properly catered to.

I do shop at Old Navy, and I'd describe them as inconsistent. Even if you find something that works, buying up every color of that item will nevertheless vary in more ways than the color. But Old Navy is cheap and is decent when it's decent (pardon the tautology). Their jeans gape badly on me, I haven't had luck with their jeans yet, but the men's jeans fit my hubs well, so I'll buy those.
    I prefer Nordy's, and they put some nice things on clearance often, you just have to get 'em before the other ishes who stalk Nordy's clearance do.
    Hautelook is also something you might want to check out for good deals, if you shop online.
    I like the George label at WalMart, they do a lot of jersey knits that hold up pretty well and feel soft against the skin. It stands out cuz Walmart clothing often feels scratchy to me.
  • PennyHartz
    PennyHartz Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Since losing weight (I was at a point where 18's at "regular" stores were way too tight, now I'm an 8 or 10) I've loved shopping at LOFT. They may run slightly bigger, most of the clothes are fairly modest yet fashionable, and the fabrics are a nice quality.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    I cannot quote every post, but it want to thank EVERY SINGLE person who offered help. It's much appreciated!
    Lourdesong wrote: »
    I worked at a Lane Bryant about 10 years ago and the 14/16 size(s) were pointless, they only sold if an item in 18/20 ran so laughably large that a person had to size down, or when smart shoppers who didn't have to shop there got these iems on clearance marked down 70% or more!
    Lane Bryant also ran large and was very forgiving in cuts and materials so the size 18 ladies were closer to a size 20 in department stores women's section. (This varies by brand as well, but generally speaking Lane Bryant and other plus size stores flatter the customer in more ways than one).
    When I began losing weight I figured I would have to be at least an 18 before I could shop in the misses dept, but once I got down to a size 20 most dept stores and stand alone stores cater to that size in their misses line, the options are less, though, meaning not every style would go up to a size 20 or an xxl.
    But as I've gotten smaller, more options are offered to me, i.e., more styles offered for 18's than 20's, and even more offered for 16's than 18's, and more for 14's than 16's.
    I feel like a size medium and smaller or 12 and smaller is probably when I'll feel properly catered to.

I do shop at Old Navy, and I'd describe them as inconsistent. Even if you find something that works, buying up every color of that item will nevertheless vary in more ways than the color. But Old Navy is cheap and is decent when it's decent (pardon the tautology). Their jeans gape badly on me, I haven't had luck with their jeans yet, but the men's jeans fit my hubs well, so I'll buy those.
    I prefer Nordy's, and they put some nice things on clearance often, you just have to get 'em before the other ishes who stalk Nordy's clearance do.
    Hautelook is also something you might want to check out for good deals, if you shop online.
    I like the George label at WalMart, they do a lot of jersey knits that hold up pretty well and feel soft against the skin. It stands out cuz Walmart clothing often feels scratchy to me.
    Thank you so much for this. So very helpful. :)

When I was leaving Lane Bryant, I did find tons of things in smaller sizes on sale. Made me sad to have to stop shopping there!

I have yet to find shorts that fit my waist/hips without drooping in the butt. I don't even try, lol.

I'm not really caring that much about it fitting perfectly. I like my shorts loose, anyway. Keeps me cooler.

I just want do something I haven't been able to do in 25 years, KWIM?
  • LiveLoveRunFar
    LiveLoveRunFar Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    You will find something at Macys!
  • MamaBirdBoss
    MamaBirdBoss Posts: 1,516 Member
    Options
    MKEgal wrote: »
    OP - one thing you could do is to look at the website for whatever store or brand you're considering,
    find their sizing chart(s), and see where you fall.

Kalikel wrote:
    I don't buy expensive clothes.
    Everything I have comes from Columbia, LL Bean, Land's End, Kohl's and Wal-Mart.
    Which one of these is not like the other?
    That word you are using, I do not think it means what you think it means.
    The only one of those I'd consider not to be expensive is Wally World, and I shop there only as a last resort.

If you know how to work the sales, Kohl's is soooo cheap. LOL. If you don't, though.... I usually spend less than $10 for sweaters at Kohl's and less than $12.50 for pants. I have a lot of Simply Vera and whatever Kohl's store brand is. :)

Clothes sizes are absurd right now. I'm a size 14 according to any sizing chart. I'm wearing pants with a size 4 label in the (from Kohl's). They're too small, lol, I'm just glad I'm back in them, but with vanity sizing these days, when I'm at my "good" size these days, I'm anywhere from a 2 to a 6. I couldn't squeeze into a 6 from 20 years ago. So there's no real predicting.
  • MamaBirdBoss
    MamaBirdBoss Posts: 1,516 Member
    Options
    Oooh, thanks for the info on Cato. My problem when I get down to my fittest sizes is that I have a 10-12" hip spring. And no one fits that.
  • bambione
    bambione Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    A lot of where you shop will depend on what type of style you like. Do you work? Do you need a certain style for your job? I love to shop, and even losing 5 lbs would have me out shopping! But I also shop at thrift stores a lot. My personal favorite stores are JJILL and Chicos. Don't be afraid to go into smaller stores to shop. I would be upfront with the sales clerks and tell them you've lost weight and you're not even sure what looks good on you. You might have to go into a few smaller stores until you find the style that clicks with you. And if you can take a friend along for moral support. But the smaller stores will have the sales people that will want to help you find the right stuff. Good luck!
  • fatcity66
    fatcity66 Posts: 1,544 Member
    Options
    Anne Taylor LOFT is great! Also, Macy's has sizes up to 16 I think, and juniors, if you're kind of in between like me (they are cut bigger in the waist).
  • faithyang
    faithyang Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    I DO THIS TOO!
    I like a pair of jeans - I bring 3 sizes, one above my usual size, one below it, and my 'actual' size. :smiley:
  • ibamosaserreinas
    ibamosaserreinas Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    I will totally second everyone that talked about New York and Co. I love them. The great thing about that stores is they consistently carry the tall, average and petite of every size. So once the average of a particular size got too big but the average of the next size down was too small the petite worked perfectly. Plus they are always having incredible sales so it was relatively easy to buy things without breaking the bank.