Why did you come to the conclusion to lose weight?

Options

Replies

• ibamosaserreinas
    ibamosaserreinas Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    There were a few things.
    • I went to give blood and had borderline high blood pressure at only 33. My uncle had also had a heart attack in his early 40's.
    • I had no energy and lots of body aches.
    • I love hiking and could not longer do it.
    • I did not like looking at pictures of me and my girlfriend and being so much bigger than her.
  • Agathokakological
    Agathokakological Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    I stepped on the scale and it read 280! It had never been that high before. That along with having to stretch my t-shirts out after they're dried so they aren't tight on me made me commit like I've never committed before to losing weight. I've lost 20 pounds since then, and I don't plan on ever gaining it back, the number on my scale will get smaller and smaller as my clothes get bigger and bigger, no need for stretching.
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Options
    My goal was to cut out arthritis pain. When I changed my eating lifestyle that managed my pain well (without meds) the weight started coming off a couple months later. That was over 8 months ago.
  • vixtris
    vixtris Posts: 688 Member
    Options
    I needed a new pair of jeans since my old ones started forming a hole in the thighs. I ordered the same exact pair and same size and it didn't fit! I promptly returned them and got a different brand... A little while after that i decided to do something about it.
  • jesssargent2
    jesssargent2 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I want to be healthier and I am still young. I want to be able to do things smaller people can do.
  • professionalHobbyist
    professionalHobbyist Posts: 1,316 Member
    Options
    Big and Tall was not where the cool kids hung out.

When 2XL got snug, it bs came rediculous
  • ritornello
    ritornello Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I decided to lose weight when I realized that, as a voice major, being in shape is probably a good idea. Singing is kind of difficult when you're not very fit. There was also some family stuff that was a wake-up call too. Luckily, my dad seems to be on the same page, so, at least there's someone to walk the dogs with.
  • girlwithcurls2
    girlwithcurls2 Posts: 2,261 Member
    Options
    I was about to have to invest in serious purchase of a larger size.

This. I was outgrowing my fat jeans and realized that in my mid-40s, I was running my weight up each year. I didn't buy the new jeans, and now they sit folded up at the bottom of my closet. I use them when I go to parties dressed as Justin Bieber and I need to shimmy jeans down along my *kitten*, lol.
  • Hotshottruck
    Hotshottruck Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    The main reason, 500lbs and sick and tired of being sick and tired, and hurting. Just now am starting to get serious about it.

• carfaa963
    carfaa963 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I've been overweight for at least 10 yrs. Lately I gained 15 more pounds quickly and was feeling very unfit. Even my fat clothes got tight. The last straws were learning that I would be too heavy and unfit to participate in my son's boy scout trips over the next few years (he's still a cub today), and getting winded after only 10 minutes of outdoor activities with my daughter. Then I realized just how far I'd let myself go. I was appalled (still am).
  • Samy63
    Samy63 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    My aha moment, open your eyes moment came after a birthday party, my husband and I are looking at pictures " lots of pictures", and I was only on one pic. what a sad thing that was, I have no pictures off me and my grand daughter on her 5 th birthday because I am embarrassed and I hate seeing my self on pictures. I have to get it together.
  • bunsen_honeydew
    bunsen_honeydew Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    jorinya wrote: »
    When I stood in the doctors office on the scales and heard the nurse say out loud 95kg and shake her head, the other nurses joined in. How horrible!! Well I can't wait to reach my goal for this month, go in to that doctors and rub my weight loss in their face. Also decided my kids need their mum to be around for a long time!!

That's very unprofessional.
  • Sweetie_1103
    Sweetie_1103 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Been wanting to lose weight for as long as I can remember. My weight has always been an issue since I was a kid. Looking in the mirror has always depressed me. And as I get older it can develop into health concerns. I don't want that. But I've never really been committed to this goal before. Not wanting to give up my junk food. But losing someone to suicide kind of made me rethink and decide that life's too short to put things off until later. The time is now!!!
  • TheSunshineQueen
    TheSunshineQueen Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    I was starting to get really sick. I'm only 23 years old, yet I was popping pill after pill just to function properly. I was buying antacids and painkillers in bulk because the thought of running out and having to deal with all the weight-related pain and discomfort terrified me.

Also, I became a recluse. It got to the point that just leaving my house (and having other people see me) brought me on the verge of a panic attack. I wanted to do things, and go places, and I couldn't. My house started to feel more like a cage than a safehouse. That was the final deciding factor for me.
  • dougl004
    dougl004 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Chewitz wrote: »
    People kept asking if I was pregnant when I said no a few people asked if I was sure

Oh wow!!

• Diana_GettingFit
    Diana_GettingFit Posts: 458 Member
    Options
    I've been diabetic since 2008. In December last year the doctor wanted to put me on a second medication as my A1C was 7.2. I've been taking Metformin since my diagnosis. That second medication has been linked with causing liver problems. I decided there and then I wasn't having anything to do with that drug. I knuckled down, took up running, lost nearly 20 lbs and last month my A1C was 5.8. Now I'm not on any medication at all!
  • lagoscarrie
    lagoscarrie Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    I've never really had to worry about my weight but I suddenly I found, at 52, that I had put on ten pounds and it was just NOT coming off. I realized that I needed some sort of system to track what I was eating and drinking and I am so pleased with MFP. There is no more guilt about what I "should" or "shouldn't" eat. I just look at the numbers and know! I expect this to be a permanent lifestyle change.
  • neopets3010
    neopets3010 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    When you decide to stand on the scales for the first time since high school and realise at 131kg you are the weight of 2 people for your height of 162cm. I started a few diets that I always got bored of and only lost 2kg over 6 months. I started using this app 2 weeks ago and am already down to 127kg. I have also signed up for a 12 week healthy living program starting next week, which entales 3 visits each with a pharmacist, dietician and exercise psychologist to get me going on the right track. I have found that tracking my food and liquid intake really makes me aware of what I was doing and the little changes needed for a better me.

I have never had the motivation to start before. Alot of my family and friends are not thin, so never felt like the fat one. I would like to shop for clothes in the normal section. I don't want to worry about fitting in to things like jeans or chairs. I want to participate in work marathons and charity runs. I want to live a long and happy life. And I want to take away from enemies the ability to use fat as an insult.
  • mmedvich
    mmedvich Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    My doctor told me if I want to have a baby a good start would be to lose 10-15 lbs. I really am tired of my belly anyway so I would like to lose about 30 lbs
  • poejegg
    poejegg Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    My beautiful girlfriend bought me a diet book months ago. I didn't use it. A few weeks ago she left me for a man very with very little body fat. This can never happen again.