Why Have I Plateaued?

Options
I am a 5'6 142 pound female and I have been doing well with my diet and exercise routine until the past week. I've been doing this for about 1 months now and I started out at 154 pounds. Every week I lost at least 2 pounds but this past week I have not lost any weight. I eat 1,200 calories everyday and burn at least 500 calories at the gym 6 days a week. So why am I not losing anymore weight? Ps: my goal weight is 130 pounds.

Replies

• lishie_rebooted
    lishie_rebooted Posts: 2,973 Member
    Options
    That's not a plateau.
    weight loss isn't linear and isn't going to happen every week.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    It's been a week. You have not hit a plateau.
  • bigd66218
    bigd66218 Posts: 376 Member
    Options
    You are within 12 pounds of your goal weight, there will be weeks you will lose no weight. It's happen to me, but I stayed the course and I will hit my goal weight. Since January 1st, started at 278 now 224 goal weight of 218 my height is 6'6.5 " so I can't afford to lose more...I noticed from your post that you burn 500 or more calories a workout. I'm not sure what your workout is you may try to increase your cardio to burn more calories. With that you will need to increase your calories slightly may be include a protein drink after the workout.
  • lishie_rebooted
    lishie_rebooted Posts: 2,973 Member
    Options
    Also, with 12 lbs to go, you shouldn't have a 2lb/week deficit. Which I know you selected since you're eating at 1200 calories and I start with similar stats.

Adjust your expectations and calorie goal to 0.5#/week
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    You're about five weeks from a plateau, and already at a healthy weight. Change your goal to half a pound a week, log everything accurately, and be patient. It can take a long time for twelve pounds to come off.
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    Options
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    It comes off faster when I start and then slows to the pace most people describe. I thought at first that it was because I was huge that I lost so quickly at first, but then I lost 80 pounds, hit an unbudgeable plateau and took a loooong diet break. When I started losing again, it started melting away really fast again just like it had the first time around...and then slowed a bit.

I don't know what it is, but there's something about just starting that makes me lose faster when I begin losing.

Wish it would go on forever like that!

Stick with it. You'll keep losing. :)
  • whmscll
    whmscll Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options
    yenattirb1 wrote: »
    I am a 5'6 142 pound female and I have been doing well with my diet and exercise routine until the past week. I've been doing this for about 1 months now and I started out at 154 pounds. Every week I lost at least 2 pounds but this past week I have not lost any weight. I eat 1,200 calories everyday and burn at least 500 calories at the gym 6 days a week. So why am I not losing anymore weight? Ps: my goal weight is 130 pounds.

This is almost EXACTLY me. I am 5'5", starting weight 148.5, goal weight 135. Calories set to 1200. The first few weeks I easily lost 1 lb. a week. For the last two weeks I have been bouncing daily between 142.5 and 141.5. It is exasperating, I would be happy with even a .5 loss at this point. I have to keep reminding myself to be patient and trust the process, while being really accurate/honest with measuring/logging and not eating back all my exercise calories.
  • MamaBirdBoss
    MamaBirdBoss Posts: 1,516 Member
    Options
    Probably your menstrual cycle. It can mask weight loss.

5'6" 141lbs--welcome to my club. :)
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,089 Member
    Options
    Your plans sounds little aggressive to me but anyway, are you weighing everything you consume with a food scale ? How are you calculating your calories burnt ? Also since youve only been at this a very short time, you should have patience. Weight loss isn't linear.
  • Oi_Sunshine
    Oi_Sunshine Posts: 819 Member
    Options

This might be the most helpful thing I've seen on these forums.

*standing ovation*

For real!
  • 3AAnn3
    3AAnn3 Posts: 3,055 Member
    Options
    thorsmom01 wrote: »
    Your plans sounds little aggressive to me but anyway, are you weighing everything you consume with a food scale ? How are you calculating your calories burnt ? Also since youve only been at this a very short time, you should have patience. Weight loss isn't linear.

I agree. If you're truly working out that hard, you should be eating back maybe half those calories and getting adequate protein. 2 lb a week is a lot for someone who doesn't have much to lose.
  • whmscll
    whmscll Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options
    Probably your menstrual cycle. It can mask weight loss.

5'6" 141lbs--welcome to my club. :)

I am menopausal, LOL. Don't know about OP.