Diet soft drink or not at all?

Options
Ok so I am wondering when I go once in a while at McDonalds should I get a diet soft drink compared to water or do diet soft drinks actually make you fatter? This is not to be taken everyday but only when I go out once in a while.

Replies

• kellyjellybellyjelly
    kellyjellybellyjelly Posts: 9,480 Member
    Options
    Ok so I am wondering when I go once in a while at McDonalds should I get a diet soft drink compared to water or do diet soft drinks actually make you fatter? This is not to be taken everyday but only when I go out once in a while.

The only thing that makes you fatter is eating over your calories consistently & not accurately weighing your food.

I have drank diet soda since the beginning of losing weight & I have lost over a 140+ pounds.
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    Diet soda doesn't make you fat. A calorie surplus does that.
  • NarwhalofNight
    NarwhalofNight Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Ninkyou wrote: »

The only thing that makes you fatter is eating over your calories consistently & not accurately weighing your food.

I have drank diet soda since the beginning of losing weight & I have lost over a 140+ pounds.

Ah, alright. I know usually it's just calories but maybe ingredient like aspartame would do something.
  • mk2fit
    mk2fit Posts: 730 Member
    Options
    I have lost almost 60 lbs since October. I have not been to McDonald's since October. Eat and drink whatever fits into your calories for the day. One thing to ask yourself...Am I in this to lose some weight or am I in this to change my life?
  • palmettoadventurer
    palmettoadventurer Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Since there aren't any calories, you're not actually going to gain weight from diet soda. There was a study that found a correlation between increased waist circumference among diet soda drinkers over the age of 65, but correlation does not equal causation. It might be possible that diet soda affects your appetite or increases your sweet tooth or something, but that would make it an indirect cause. If you're tracking your intake and meeting your calorie/macro/whatever goals, the diet soda shouldn't make a difference.

Some people do have conditions that diet sodas can aggravate. (Phenylketonuria is the big one, but some migraine sufferers find artificial sweeteners to be triggers.) But your average person with no related medical concerns shouldn't worry about the occasional diet soda.
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    Ninkyou wrote: »

Ah, alright. I know usually it's just calories but maybe ingredient like aspartame would do something.

FIFY
  • daniwilford
    daniwilford Posts: 1,030 Member
    Options

Only will make you appear fatter if you are allergic to aspartame, which can cause swelling, hives, etc.
  • folgers86
    folgers86 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Water's always best...but I get the diet soda. It's no calories, unless you're against any and all aspartame for forever.
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    It depends how much you want to have either of them.

Some people like sugary drinks, some people like the taste of diet drinks.

Have what you want within your calorie limit.

And don't worry about aspartame. It's just one of the woo wooniverse's pet demons that does no harm. Nobody was ever hospitalised from diet soda addiction.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    Some of us find that diet soda increases our desire for food, especially sweet food. Others say they don't have that problem. It's an individual thing.

I skip soda - the cravings, the sodium...there's nothing in there that does me any good and I feel better when I drink water.

But if I have some, I get right back into the addiction and have to struggle to get off of it again. I try really hard to avoid it!!

What you should do, though, is whatever floats your boat. :)
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Sparkling mineral water is a great substitute for soft drinks if you're wanting to cut back.
  • FitForL1fe
    FitForL1fe Posts: 1,872 Member
    Options
    I get diet drinks all the time

it's like soda but with 0 calories

most of them taste like *kitten* tbh

but Coke Zero is pretty worth

Sprite Zero too...I mean what is Sprite really...it's like sugary lemon/lime Perrier. not hard to imitate without real sugar

the diet Minute Maid Lemonade is aite too
  • FitForL1fe
    Options
    Orphia wrote: »
    Sparkling mineral water is a great substitute for soft drinks if you're wanting to cut back.

also I second this

I keep a case of the lime-flavored Perrier cans in my fridge

I usually drink one with dinner
  • MamaBirdBoss
    MamaBirdBoss Posts: 1,516 Member
    Options
    There's more sodium in most tap water than in diet soda.

THere's no reason to deprive yourself. Unless, of course, it's close to bedtime. :) THen the caffeine might not be welcome...
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    Personal choice. No calories in diet soda, so from a weight loss concern you have no worries. Personally id have the diet drink, always have.
  • pinkshoelaces
    pinkshoelaces Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    The amount of calories in diet soda is negligible and therefore its very unlikely it'll contribute to any weight gain unless you're already in a calorie surplus. Just keep track of your food and stay in a deficit and your diet soda won't cause any damage. I drink at least two cans of Coke Zero a day and I've lost 90 pounds total. So if you're gaining weight, don't blame it on the diet cola. It's because you're eating too much.
  • rayw89
    rayw89 Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    I used to not drink diet sodas, but these days I'd rather eat my calories than drink them, so now I drink diet sodas and sparkling water when I want fizz. I've lost over 46 lbs. and diet soda hasn't hindered me at all.
  • stupidloser
    stupidloser Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    I actually enjoy a soda once or twice a week, but it is usually just a 12 oz can rather than a super duper big gulp every day.
  • professionalHobbyist
    professionalHobbyist Posts: 1,316 Member
    Options
    I just quit them because I wanted to

No demons in the closet. Way cheaper to buy 24 pack of water. I toss a Mio in the gym bag

• FitForL1fe
    edited June 2015
    Options
    I just quit them because I wanted to

No demons in the closet. Way cheaper to buy 24 pack of water. I toss a Mio in the gym bag

hell even that gets costly man Ill tell you

I buy those 6-pack 24-oz Aquafina bottles that come strapped together in that duck-strangling plastic 6-pack wrapper deal

and I refill each bottle for like a week and then replace it

it's also related to the fact that I have a deep-seated hatred for those 16.9 oz bottles

who the *kitten* decided 16.9 oz bottles were better than 20 oz anyway

like *kitten* that guy