pregnant and must not gain!!! (much)

Options
Is it inevitable that I will gain weight, even if I try to maintain a caloric intake that should sustain my current weight? I am well overweight, and doc only wants me to gain 20lbs tops. I know that I don't really need more calories than when not pregnant, that eating for two is a myth, but any tips people have would be helpful!

Replies

• WinterSkies
    WinterSkies Posts: 940 Member
    Options
    I had my second baby 9 months ago, and managed to gain only 15lb total, after gaining 40+ with my first. My understanding is that you do need more calories (max 300/day), but only into the 2nd and 3rd trimesters. So, I ate as I normally would, and then added my extra calories from 4 months on with a snack before bedtime, usually a piece of toast, some cereal, or fruit. It seemed to work really well for me. I actually ended up losing a little weight, because between baby, retained fluid, extra blood volume, and other such things, it's usually 20lb+ that you're carrying that isn't actually your own weight.

I also tried to keep active, doing the same activities that I would have done normally, just making adjustments for my changing body.

I suppose those aren't super helpful tips, but I was definitely in your situation - overweight and not needing to gain much. It can be done!
  • MoMofBrody13
    MoMofBrody13 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    My appetite is insatiable right now! I'm only 6 weeks along, so I had better get on track from the start! Thanks for sharing!
  • bunnypy
    bunnypy Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Congrats on the pregnancy!!!
    That's all I can say LOL because when I was pregnant all I could think about was mcflurry and a HUGE barone slab hahahahaha but it's over now, after giving birth the weight came of quicker than I expected, maybe it's because I was breastfeeding. All the best!
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    Is it inevitable that I will gain weight, even if I try to maintain a caloric intake that should sustain my current weight? I am well overweight, and doc only wants me to gain 20lbs tops. I know that I don't really need more calories than when not pregnant, that eating for two is a myth, but any tips people have would be helpful!

Ask for a nutritional plan and follow it religiously. Your dr should be able to refer you to a dietician.
  • DawnieB1977
    DawnieB1977 Posts: 4,248 Member
    Options
    I've had three children and gained too much each time. I exercised until 34 weeks with my first, and ate healthily. I wasn't using MFP then so wasn't tracking, but I'd lost weight for my wedding prior to getting pregnant, and didnt change the way I ate. I lost the majority of the weight after before getting pregnant again when he was 13 months old.

I didn't really exercise much with my 2nd - exhausted due to running round after a toddler, nauseous, working, and I had some bleeding too which put me off. I gained loads and was massive. I don't think I ate too badly though, apart from a few too many sweet treats. Anyway, I lost all the weight and more after, and by the time she was 2 (she's now 4) I was the thinnest I'd been since my early 20s. I'm 37 now.

So I started my third pregnancy super slim and fit, exercised until 38 weeks, worked, looked after my then 2 and 4 year olds and logged in MFP, firstly below, then at maintenance. And I still gained too much. In fact, I actually think I gained more than in my 2nd pregnancy, although I'm not sure how when I look at photos.

Anyway, my 3rd is now 13 months and size wise I'm not too far off pre-pregnancy (see recent profile pic), but weight wise I reckon I need to lose about 20lbs.

My point is that you lose the weight after (with a little effort lol) so try not to worry too much, and enjoy your pregnancy.

I found it hard in the first trimester with both my daughters as I was so nauseous and couldn't eat my usual things, I just really needed carbs to stop feeling sick.
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    I've had three children and gained too much each time. I exercised until 34 weeks with my first, and ate healthily. I wasn't using MFP then so wasn't tracking, but I'd lost weight for my wedding prior to getting pregnant, and didnt change the way I ate. I lost the majority of the weight after before getting pregnant again when he was 13 months old.

I didn't really exercise much with my 2nd - exhausted due to running round after a toddler, nauseous, working, and I had some bleeding too which put me off. I gained loads and was massive. I don't think I ate too badly though, apart from a few too many sweet treats. Anyway, I lost all the weight and more after, and by the time she was 2 (she's now 4) I was the thinnest I'd been since my early 20s. I'm 37 now.

So I started my third pregnancy super slim and fit, exercised until 38 weeks, worked, looked after my then 2 and 4 year olds and logged in MFP, firstly below, then at maintenance. And I still gained too much. In fact, I actually think I gained more than in my 2nd pregnancy, although I'm not sure how when I look at photos.

Anyway, my 3rd is now 13 months and size wise I'm not too far off pre-pregnancy (see recent profile pic), but weight wise I reckon I need to lose about 20lbs.

My point is that you lose the weight after (with a little effort lol) so try not to worry too much, and enjoy your pregnancy.

I found it hard in the first trimester with both my daughters as I was so nauseous and couldn't eat my usual things, I just really needed carbs to stop feeling sick.

Being very overweight or gaining too much weight during pregnancy, increases significantly the risk for serious health issues with both mother and baby. OP's dr has already warned her to be careful, and I doubt he/she is concerned about how nice she looks in a bikini, this about ensuring the best possible outcome for her and the baby. So, ignoring him, it does not sound like a safe plan. Plus, even for vanity reasons alone, many women cannot easily lose after a baby. Carrying this "baby" weight while the baby in question is in college, it is pretty typica.l
  • hoyalawya2003
    hoyalawya2003 Posts: 631 Member
    Options
    aggelikik wrote: »

Ask for a nutritional plan and follow it religiously. Your dr should be able to refer you to a dietician.

I highly recommend this. I gained around 35 lbs with my first and was miserable. I had gestational diabetes the second time, and the dietician coached me on my restricted diet. That plus being more careful by not changing my intake first trimester meant that I only gained 17 lbs and felt great.

I will also add that you should keep in mind that your body is changing by increased blood supply, vessels, placenta, etc. so please don't get the mindset that any increase in the scale is fat. My second pregnancy I walked out of the hospital 5 lbs lighter than when I got pregnant, and was still retaining fluid.
  • squatmami
    squatmami Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Im 8 weeks pregnant so have added you , i have a 4 year old and gained 4 stone during the last pregnancy so really do not want to gain that much again , i did loose most of it after but it took years and was really hard work , i dont kno what i did wrong last time so will be trying to exercise this time and hope it works , have a happy healthy pregnancy xxxx
  • DawnieB1977
    Options
    aggelikik wrote: »

Being very overweight or gaining too much weight during pregnancy, increases significantly the risk for serious health issues with both mother and baby. OP's dr has already warned her to be careful, and I doubt he/she is concerned about how nice she looks in a bikini, this about ensuring the best possible outcome for her and the baby. So, ignoring him, it does not sound like a safe plan. Plus, even for vanity reasons alone, many women cannot easily lose after a baby. Carrying this "baby" weight while the baby in question is in college, it is pretty typica.l

Yes but you cannot always control what you gain, which was my point. I did everything to minimise gain and still gained. Yes, I wasn't even overweight when I started my pregnancy so I know it's a risk if you are, however some women do gain regardless and telling them they can't gain is a bit pointless.

In England, where I live, your weight is only taken at your booking appointment and never again. No-one obsesses over pregnancy weight here like they seem to in the US. If your BMI is too high then you go under consultant care, which I think basically means you have more scans (otherwise you just gets scans at 12 and 20 weeks).

I didn't say weight loss was easy either. I've worked my a*se off to lose pregnancy weight. I was in the gym as soon as I'd had my 6 week check, after all 3 of mine.
  • Nursie863
    Nursie863 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I think it is most important to focus on health while pregnant, rather than calorie counts and worrying about every bite or ounce gained or trying to squelch every pregnancy craving. Eat whole foods and exercise daily, to give that little life the healthiest start possible! If you occasionally have an ice cream craving, let yourself have it! If you can't do that while pregnant, when can you?? Then, after the baby is born, continue with your healthy habits and maybe be more strict with yourself. Don't add extra stress trying to be perfect while you are growing a tiny human inside you! I think that's more than enough work, all in itself! Congratulations!!!
  • kerricus
    kerricus Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    I'm curious (and I think it goes along with OP's question).

If you are say, 20-50lbs overweight to begin with, do you really need to eat more while pregnant?

It seems like you could continue eating the same calories because you were consuming too many to begin with. The the extra will now go to the baby's development (instead of fat).
  • MoMofBrody13
    Options
    So with my first child, I only gained 40 lbs and thought I managed pretty good! Doc wasn't impressed but didn't make me feel bad about. My son was 8.5lbs and got stuck coming out. That was a very big issue, they had to rip him out of me and his arm was broke in the process. So 20lbs seems like it might be impossible. Seems like too little, but I do have so much excess weight that I really don't need the extra calories.
    I like the idea of having a dietician help me meal plan! I will ask my doctor!
    And I get weighed at each visit. Boo.
  • MoMofBrody13
    Options
    squatmami wrote: »
    Im 8 weeks pregnant so have added you , i have a 4 year old and gained 4 stone during the last pregnancy so really do not want to gain that much again , i did loose most of it after but it took years and was really hard work , i dont kno what i did wrong last time so will be trying to exercise this time and hope it works , have a happy healthy pregnancy xxxx

Thanks! I added you!
  • Annr
    Annr Posts: 2,765 Member
    Options
    I think each baby is different...and so your appetite will be different. My first child needed a turkey bagel most every week and so I was a bagel frequent visiter. My 3rd child needed wasabi...so I was eating California rolls most every week. My 2nd child I just don't remember. You definatly know what your food likes are, and as long as they are reasonably healthy just go with it. and CONGRATS!!! :smiley:
  • MoMofBrody13
    Options
    Thanks everyone!
  • DawnieB1977
    Options
    So with my first child, I only gained 40 lbs and thought I managed pretty good! Doc wasn't impressed but didn't make me feel bad about. My son was 8.5lbs and got stuck coming out. That was a very big issue, they had to rip him out of me and his arm was broke in the process. So 20lbs seems like it might be impossible. Seems like too little, but I do have so much excess weight that I really don't need the extra calories.
    I like the idea of having a dietician help me meal plan! I will ask my doctor!
    And I get weighed at each visit. Boo.

Wow, sounds scary. Then again. Not all births go perfectly no matter what your size, or how much you gained. I think the size of your pelvis makes a difference.

I do think keeping active does make a difference to labour though. I may have gained more than I'd have liked, but I've had 3 easy labours and births. I arrived at hospital 10cm dilated with my first. Despite being induced (12 days late) my 2nd was problem free, she practically swam out with her waters, and even though my 3rd back to back for most of labour, it wa still relatively fast. I've only ever used gas and air as pain relief, and I've never needed stitches. When I was induced with my 2nd the midwife said my cervix was totally closed which is unusual with 2nd babies and I must har good muscles!

20lbs doesn't seem like much when you consider the weight of the baby (mine were 7lbs13, 8lbs10 and 9lbs1...all overdue), the placenta, the amniotic fluid, the extra blood etc. I know some women lose weight, but surely that's because they puked a lot (I never did) or they've had terrible eating habits prior to pregnancy, or drank a lot of alcohol prior to pregnancy, and have changed habits.

I also found the first trimester tough with my girls as I felt so nauseous, and the only thing that helped was carbs.
  • italysharon
    italysharon Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    Do you exercise now? I would definitely continue to do so. I was not overweight when beginning each pregnancy, but I gain a ton while pregnant. The only way that I was able to stay healthy was to keep active. I had a very hard time walking because of back problems. I tend to have large size babies also and my last pregnancy was a set of very large twins (both 7 1/2 lbs +).
    Anyway, even though I couldn't walk very much, I was able to do the elliptical at the gym, and do nautilus for weight resistance. So even though I gained 40+ pounds (60 pounds with my second!), the weight came off easier (with the help of weight watchers) because I was still active.
    Find an activity that you can stick to… maybe an after dinner walk with family or friend, swimming, classes at the gym, whatever. Continue logging in your food too. See the nutritionist. Your insurance probably will cover a few visits.
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    I breastfed both kids for a long time. It was the easiest way ever to lose weight. 20 pounds is fine for a pregnancy. If you were thin you'd lose more, but 20 pounds, mostly baby/breasts/placenta/fluid and you'll be good.

Eat healthy food you love and follow your doctor's advice by not eating too much. Start walking and other easy exercise. Swimming is great when you're pregnant because you're so buoyant.

If you follow that advice, you'll start your weight loss now because you'll put on more baby than fat. When you have your HEALTHY baby (following that advice will be good for your baby), breastfeed. That makes it much easier to take weight off.

Enjoy yourself. I loved being pregnant. I gained 35 pounds (I am tall and was thin), but lost 60 without trying.
  • dlj1970
    dlj1970 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    Congratulations!! I'm 24 weeks and trying to keep it healthy (with #1). I started out about 20 lbs overweight, too. Definitely finding myself eating more than before, but adding healthy foods ( I eat eggs and more meat now). I'm also trying to do yoga every AM and 30' of cardio and some weights after work. Had gained 7 lbs at 20 weeks, but he's been growing a lot recently, and have 24wk appt coming up in a few days. I added you as a friend, so we can support each other through this scary/exciting time: )
  • MoMofBrody13
    Options
    I do shift work and find it hard to workout. Routine is not a word I use in my daily life. We have a staff gym where I work, so I am committing to do 20 min walks on the treadmill during my breaks on my night shifts. Taking my son swimming every Monday eve, and do laps pushing him in his floater. I'm not sure what else I can commit to, I don't want to overwhelm myself with obligation and commitments. Tracking my food seems to help too. I have a fit bit and love the fact that it will sync with MFP.
    Crystalrose@live.ca if you want to add me to fit bit!