Any benefit to casein (for someone like me)?

Options
I am neither dieting nor on a serious exercise program to build muscle. I'm holding steady at a healthy weight and trying to be reasonably active.

In February-March, I was very sick. No particular illness, I just got hit by cold/flu/upper respiratory stuff, one infection after another. I've not been so sick for years. My doctor did some blood tests, found my protein levels too low, and gave me a stern talk that "some people aren't meant to be vegetarians." She warned me that if I didn't get enough protein, I would be vulnerable to illness. I wasn't a vegetarian, but my husband dislikes meat and does the bulk of our cooking.

Since then, I've added more meat/fish/protein-rich dishes to my diet, and started having at least one soy protein shake per day. I use soy protein because I am lactose intolerant. However, I have wondered whether there is any benefit to be had from adding casein to my diet. Again, I am not on any particular body building or weight loss program. I just apparently need a larger amount of protein in my diet than my spouse/some other people. I want to get enough to be healthy, and to make sure I recover from my fairly light exercise well.

Is soy protein alone going to cut it? Is there a benefit to casein for someone like me? Is it worth a possible belly-ache due to the lactose intolerance?

Replies

• IsaackGMOON
    IsaackGMOON Posts: 3,358 Member
    Options
    Casein is a slow release protein. I don't think there is any real benefit to this.

• demoiselle2014
    demoiselle2014 Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    May I ask what your reasoning is (out of curiosity)? Thank you for your response.
  • IsaackGMOON
    IsaackGMOON Posts: 3,358 Member
    Options
    May I ask what your reasoning is (out of curiosity)? Thank you for your response.

Well because it's a slow release protein, you'll still be getting your protein, just at a slower rate throughout the day. So there isn't any real benefit as far as I know.

• demoiselle2014
    Options
    Thank you! That makes sense.
  • professionalHobbyist
    professionalHobbyist Posts: 1,316 Member
    Options
    I like and buy whey isolates as my protein.

Tiny wiki quote sums up what I have read, been told, and experienced in taking various protein drinks

I ended up liking OPtimum Nutrition Gold Standard. It has been part of my diet strategy for a year. Quickly absorbed protein with very few other calories

I need 200g of protein a day and want to keep under 1800 calories so it became a good choice for weight loss and protein supply

whey protein isolate (often whey isolate) is a dietary supplement and food ingredient created by separating components from milk. Whey is a by-product of the cheese-making process. Whey can be processed to yield whey protein in three forms: whey isolate, whey concentrate, or whey hydrolysate. The difference between the whey protein forms is the composition of the product, particularly the protein content. Whey isolates contain the higher percentage of pure protein and can be pure enough to be virtually lactose free, carbohydrate free, fat free, and cholesterol free.
  • Ironmaiden4life
    Ironmaiden4life Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    If you want to feel fuller for longer then opt for a miscellar casein.

Most people use casein at night time due to it's long digestion time.
  • demoiselle2014
    Options
    Unless I'd get a specific benefit from the slow release properties of casein, I'd prefer to avoid milk based protein... The side effects aren't too fun for me. :#

That said, protein powders are a good option for me to get much needed additional protein in my diet without cooking separate meals for myself every day.
  • demoiselle2014
    Options
    If you want to feel fuller for longer then opt for a miscellar casein.

Most people use casein at night time due to it's long digestion time.

Night time use is exactly what I was thinking of.
  • Ironmaiden4life
    Options
    Casein is still milk based though so from what you've said it may cause you a problem. Some people who are lactose intolerant will find they are also casein intolerant too.
  • demoiselle2014
    Options
    Yeah, I had read that some people can tolerate casein despite being lactose intolerant and some cannot.

Wish goat milk products were more affordable!
  • jessef593
    jessef593 Posts: 2,272 Member
    Options
    Miscellar casein and calcium caseinate have been found to stimulate cancer cells by over 100%. Casein in considered one of the most active carcinogens. Opt for whey concentrate, it has higher nutrient levels, is much more biologically active, and multiple anti oxidants. Whey isolate is purely protein with a fast obsorbtion and usually abit higher protein percentage, but also more expensive due to the manufacturing processing.
  • ballen23116
    ballen23116 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    A company called Optimum Nutrition has a whey protein supplement called Platinum Hydro Whey which basically breaks the protein down to a smaller form. The process removes most of the lactose ingredient and therefor it is suitable for those who have difficulty with lactose digestion. This is a fast absorption protein often used post workout but if you're in need of something that's more lactose free, it could be a good option for you.
  • Ironmaiden4life
    edited June 2015
    Options
    jessef593 wrote: »
    Miscellar casein and calcium caseinate have been found to stimulate cancer cells by over 100%. Casein in considered one of the most active carcinogens.

Sources?
  • ballen23116
    ballen23116 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    A company called Optimum Nutrition has a whey protein supplement called Platinum Hydro Whey which basically breaks the protein down to a smaller form. The process removes most of the lactose ingredient and therefor it is suitable for those who have difficulty with lactose digestion. This is a fast absorption protein often used post workout but if you're in need of something that's more lactose free, it could be a good option for you.
    I will say it is a bit expensive though...
  • jessef593
    Options

Casein is a chemical carcinogen.
    Some chemicals in our environment qualify as carcinogens. That is, they cause cancer, based on testing them in experimental animal studies according to criteria set forth by our government.[1]

Such a study has one control group (that’s no chemical), then 2-3 treatment groups, each with increasing amounts of chemical, usually far and above the amount we might experience in order to be sure that it does not cause cancer (take a look at the graph below).

From Animal Data to Human Data

A cancer causing response (shown here as dependent on level of chemical consumed) is then used to estimate which levels of carcinogen exposure might be of concern for humans (small green box). But estimating likely human response is virtually impossible because the rat carcinogen levels are usually orders of magnitude higher than typical human experience.

In our experiments over 25+ years, and published extensively, we showed that casein increased experimental cancer at levels within the range of human experience (that is the green box) — with no need to estimate low level response in humans, from high level response in rats — and we know also know how it works! This suggested casein (and likely most other animal proteins) is a far more relevant carcinogen than any pesticide, herbicide, food additive or other noxious chemical ever tested. What would you conclude?

References

National Toxicology Program. Report on carcinogens. 499 (Research Triangle Park, NC, 2011).
  • jessef593
    Options
    Sorry I'll get one with the actual numbers
  • Ironmaiden4life
    Options
    Sorry I'll get one with the actual numbers

I'd appreciate that as the link to the actual study would be more beneficial than some copy and paste job off google.

• jessef593
    Options
    Dr. T Colin Campbell was the lead researcher for the study.
  • Ironmaiden4life
    Options
    Dr. T Colin Campbell was the lead researcher for the study.

Sorry I should of been more clear. I meant a link to original research paper but thank you for providing your source.