7,200 calories burned in a day?!

Options
i had a body media for about 6 months and on a normal day of work it said I would burn roughly 6500 calories or so with about 30,000 steps. I always felt this was really high so I just switched to a Fitbit hr, two days into work first day was 6700 calories and yesterday was 7200 calories with 37,000 steps. I work for a moving company and pretty much run or at least walk from 8 am to about 6 so it's possible this is correct, just seems unrealistic to be burning that many calories

Replies

• IsaackGMOON
    IsaackGMOON Posts: 3,358 Member
    Options
    Are you wearing it for the whole day?
  • MKEgal
    MKEgal Posts: 3,250 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you have a very physical job, so it's entirely possible that the estimates are correct.
    You're walking, carrying heavy things, climbing stairs, etc. right?
  • mkakids
    mkakids Posts: 1,913 Member
    Options
    If your moving furniture and boxes from 8-5 every day, its entirely possible to be burning that many calories.
  • WhatMeRunning
    WhatMeRunning Posts: 3,538 Member
    Options
    I just logged 35,000 steps on a 16 mile run burning over 3200 calories in just thosr few hours of running. So for an active full day like that it may very well be right.
  • corryigo
    corryigo Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    35000 steps is a ton of steps, so yes absolutely if the steps and your stride is accurate the calories will be close.
  • Ironmaiden4life
    Ironmaiden4life Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    Both those company's trackers have been tested and rate very well on accuracy. For the activity you've described it sounds about right.

BRB..... Switching jobs for epic burn :)
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    If its correct and I dont use a counter then the weight should be dropping off, way to go and I bet soon you will be strugling to eat enough (jealous).

Actually how much do you weigh? 720 calories an hour continuous is pretty impressive, so am more cautious. You will be able to tell vyby results .
  • besee_2000
    besee_2000 Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    I know a guy that does a similar job. Despite his love of beer and mid-western foods he is pretty thin. This would explain it! I need to hide a pedometer on him because now I'm super curious.
  • datsundriver87
    datsundriver87 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the replies, I've done this for 10 years and always been 270-280 but realized I drank a minimum of a 6 pack of soda a day plus at least two fast food meals a day, down 65 pounds in 6 months. The issue seems to be the two or three days a week that I drive and don't burn many calories that I was still eating like crap. I guess there is an upside to having a very physical job haha
  • iheartinsanity
    iheartinsanity Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    I LOVED my bodymedia when I had it (hated paying for the subscription though), and was my thinnest since I was always motivated to move more when I seen my stats. Just stay active like you do, and keep at it! :smiley:
  • tshuk00
    tshuk00 Posts: 17 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Unless you're consuming over 9200 calories per day, you would be losing weight at an alarming weight. Those "fitness trackers" are notorious for not being accurate. The most accurate way to track your burned calories is using a heart rate monitor.

Let me put it this way, a person who weighs 210 lbs would burn about 3500 calories running an entire marathon. While you do have a physical job, use that to put some perspective on how skewed those number readings you are getting are.

You described what you used to drink and eat, and while that IS a lot of calories, if you were really burning 6500-7200 calories per day, you would still be losing weight. Guesstimate that an average fast food meal is about 1000 calories and a 6 pack of soda at 150 calories per can is 900 calories, you're still hovering around 3000 calories per day. You need a 500 calorie a day deficit from your TDEE in order to lose 1lb per week.

What you eat is much more important for weight loss than activity level. You can't outrun the calories you eat.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    That's more than a typical day racing the Tour de France. You'd have to be at an elite level of fitness to burn that much.

30,000 steps of walking won't even get you close - at your size it's about 25-30 steps/calorie.
  • glevinso
    glevinso Posts: 1,895 Member
    Options
    7000ish is about what I burn over the course of a full Ironman race...
  • datsundriver87
    Options
    I may have mislead with my original statement, I'm not burning 6500-7000 calories every day, I would say an average week for me consists of two-three days of those numbers, two to three days of between 3500-5000 calories and two days of little to no activity at all. Some weeks are 5 days of running 10 hours a day with heavy furniture up stairs, others are 5 days of sitting in s truck all day. I have done the math and I would easily average 5000-6000 calories a day at least of intake for the last 10 years. I'm also including my daily burn without exercise in the 7200 not 7200 calories burned in 10 hours. I'm sure the numbers may be somewhat off but as consistent as they have been I would say they are within reason
  • tshuk00
    tshuk00 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    They're not within reason and that's what we're trying to tell you at the end of the thread. Unless you are pushing yourself to the level that someone doing a full Ironman race is, you're just not burning that many calories in a day, let alone multiple times a week. You're likely not estimating your food correctly either.

There are a lot of people that shift their daily calorie goals because they have very heavy activity level certain days and little to none others. Many powerlifters do this. They eat big on their lifting days and not so big on their rest days. That would probably be to your benefit considering how hard your job is on the "active" days, but you should look into another way to estimate your needed intake and then adjust your calorie intake accordingly and over time adjust the numbers up and down as needed instead of relying on notoriously inaccurate "fitness counters".
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    I'm also including my daily burn without exercise in the 7200 not 7200 calories burned in 10 hours.

You're not burning that much.

In reality, not even close to that much.

• datsundriver87
    Options
    By no means am I saying I am right and that I am for sure burning that many calories, but I also know that my job IS 100 percent the most physical job out there, I have watched person trainers and military not be able to do my job at the level I do it. (10 years of experience and training is the only reason I am able to). I sprint consistently and carry between 35-150 pound items for 10 hours so I don't feel like it is reasonable to compare it to "25-30 steps per calorie". When my weekly deficit is 9000 calories and I loose 2 pounds that week... I say it's within reason.
  • 999tigger
    Options
    How much do you weigh now OP?
    If youve been doing this job for the last ten years, then why is it only in the last 6 you have been losing? Why did you put weight on in the first place? Were you eating humongous amounts? Te fact you are now caliming 7200 without exercise i.e at a rate of over 720 calories per hour for ten hours would be remarkable.
  • datsundriver87
    Options
    It hasn't been 720 per hour for 10 hours," 7200 "includes about 2000 tde and is not an average day. I'm 213 now and yes for the last 10 years I was eating about as unhealthy as you can. Normal day was McDonald's frappe and two sausage my griddles for breakfast, double quarter pounder meal or similar for lunch plus a few refills of soda, and a large Mexican plate for dinner not including soda or energy drinks thruout the day or candy bar snacks
  • 999tigger
    edited June 2015
    Options
    wouldnt that be 10/24x2000 for the deduction. Not sure what you wnat you asked if it was accurate or not thinking it was dubious, some people have now come on and pointed out it may not be and now you wnat it to be accurate? If you are satisfied you are burning that much, then why be bothered? What do you actually want? A few months ago there was a large thread on being able to burn 1000 calories from exercise per day. Apparently your burning more than a Tour de France rider.