During my weight loss journey I have learned.... (and go!)

Options
I have learned that the more water I drink, the less I eat.

Replies

• never2late2loseweight
    never2late2loseweight Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    20 minutes of exercise is better than none.
  • never2late2loseweight
    never2late2loseweight Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    starting the day off with a protein packed breakfast helps me control my hunger better thru out the day
  • ChapinaGrande
    ChapinaGrande Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    Eating sugar starts a chain reaction of sugar cravings. I've got to go cold turkey on the sweets because I can't control myself around them.
  • Agathokakological
    Agathokakological Posts: 136 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    To track everything I eat, no matter what!

Also, that for me personally, not eating after 7PM has made a world of difference. I'm sleeping amazingly, which hasn't happened since I was in high school, and I went from having really bad heartburn in the middle of the night, almost every night, to being heartburn free for over a month.

Edit: I also learned that what I thought was a proper portion size, was enough to feed 2 people!
  • beachhouse758
    beachhouse758 Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    20 minutes of exercise is better than none.

This.

And that:

• I *do* have self-control. (Who knew?)
    • That I don't have to have huge portions of meat with every meal. Oh yeah, and what a portion actually is (who knew?)
    • That I actually like to run. Outdoors. (Me!)
    • That veggies are not boring (at least they don't have to be)
    • That I don't have to add half a pound of sugar and a gallon of cream to my morning coffee.
    • That there are a ton of workouts out there than don't involve going to the gym.
    • That discipline and self-control make all the difference.
    • It's OK to fail. The important thing is to learn something and to not lose track of goals. (then it is not really failing, after all)

• SoulOfRusalka
    SoulOfRusalka Posts: 1,201 Member
    Options
    - Eating a little more than you meant to doesn't mean you have to give up. You can just have a smaller deficit, or a day of maintenance.
    - Moderation is a thing! It is not a lie invented by people who want you to get fat! You can eat 1000-1200 calories a day, even 1400, and you will actually lose weight!
    - You can steal eat cookies. It's super great! :p
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,089 Member
    Options
    Ive learned that portion control and moderation is key
  • MsJulesRenee
    MsJulesRenee Posts: 1,180 Member
    Options
    People you start with are not always going to be there when you finish. You have to accept that or it will just drag you down.
  • ShinyFuture
    ShinyFuture Posts: 314 Member
    Options

I was eating way more than I thought.
    I was moving way less than I thought.
    I was hitting fast food places far more than I realized.
    Making my lunch and bringing it to work is not a big hassle.
    I like cooking.
    I'm still way to good at making excuses.
    Starting over - every week, every day, every meal if necessary - is ALWAYS better than not.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    Fruit will satisfy a craving for sugar. :)
  • Devasation
    Devasation Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    It's okay to be hungry.
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    Moderation of all things, food scale for accuracy, logging to keep me accountable... and keep it sustainable.
  • Krystle1984
    Krystle1984 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    If you go off track, draw a line under it and move on. Don't let one bad day ruin all your hard work. :)
  • TiJoGa
    TiJoGa Posts: 545 Member
    Options
    What works for one person or even 500 people doesn't mean it's going to work for you. Everyone's successful journey is tailored to their own personal needs.
  • Tubbs216
    Tubbs216 Posts: 6,597 Member
    Options
    - Eating a little more than you meant to doesn't mean you have to give up. You can just have a smaller deficit, or a day of maintenance.
    - Moderation is a thing! It is not a lie invented by people who want you to get fat! You can eat 1000-1200 calories a day, even 1400, and you will actually lose weight!
    - You can steal eat cookies. It's super great! :p
    Indeed it is! :)
  • trina1049
    trina1049 Posts: 593 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Learned to control portion sizes.
    Learned to like/love exercise.
    Learned moderation.
    Learned to love my food scale.
    Learned to love numbers.
    Learned calories in/calories out and got to wear my sexy pants.

• bubaluboo
    bubaluboo Posts: 2,098 Member
    Options
    I don't have to right off a whole day if I mess up on one meal/snack.
    Log everything and if you can, exercise off excessive calories the same day (that works for me, I often take late runs).
    If you know you've been logging accurately the weight will come off but it's not linear and sometimes you can go weeks without a loss and then have several drops in a row.
    No food is completely off limits (but some aren't worth the calories to me).
  • amk165
    amk165 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    It takes time and I am OK with that.
  • walkdmc
    walkdmc Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    One bad day doesn't "ruin" anything. Letting one bad day snowball into a bad two days + ruins so much more than my diet.

Get back on plan starting with the next meal, not the next day.