What would you say to your pre-weight-gain self?

Options
I've been thinking about this a lot since I started my journey. Most people on here who used to be thin and then gained weight use their pre-gain weight as their goal weight and say things like "I was comfortable at this weight" or "I was happy with my body then."

For me, that isn't the case at all. In fact, when I was 135lbs (my goal weight now), I thought I was fat and disgusting. I was a size 5 and thought it was huge. So when I came to the realization in my twenties that stupid high school me was actually skinny and beautiful, it made me really sad that I took all that for granted.

So, if there was one thing I could say to myself before I put on all this weight it would be "stop worrying about being fat! You're not! You're beautiful! Now go live your life, start flirting with some boys, and stop being so self conscious!!"

So how about you guys? Anything you would tell your skinny selves?

Replies

• zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    I could say a lot, but my 7 y/o self wouldn't understand any of it. I'd boil it down to: you're not as stupid as people tell you you are, and stay the hell away from your brother when you two are alone together.
  • walkdmc
    walkdmc Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    I was never "skinny" but as a teenager in the 1980's wearing a size 12 (probably an 8 today), I would've been nicer to myself. I would've had more positive self-talk. If you love something, you want to take good care of it, one's body is no exception.
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,658 Member
    Options
    Don't eat so much.
  • DawnieB1977
    DawnieB1977 Posts: 4,248 Member
    Options
    Don't have another baby. Lol. Just kidding, she's so worth it.

Like you, when I was thin I thought I was fat. I wish I were as 'fat' as I used to be now!
  • peachyfuzzle
    peachyfuzzle Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    I would say "On June 20th, 2015, you will be answering a question about what you would tell your pre-weight-gain self after being barely halfway to your goal even after 60lbs of weight loss. So, put the fork down, or go for a jog, or both. Idiot."
  • folgers86
    folgers86 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I'm...actually the same way. I've always felt heavy even when I wasn't. I recently saw a pic of myself when I was a teenager and saw how thin I was and all I could think about was why I ever felt fat and insecure (feelings probably leftover from my pudgy pre-pubescent days). I would love to tell myself then to go try on a bikini and quit covering up so much. I'd also tell myself to exercise more and eat better food or I'd really find out what being overweight feels like.
  • tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,459 Member
    Options
    Yeah I'd say what you said. But I wouldn't have been prepared to listen. We all have to learn things for ourselves, the hard way, I guess.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Don't give up sports because you discover boys and cigarettes
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    toriraeh wrote: »

Appreciate this body for what you can do.
    Don't compare to other people so much. Don't be so negative and judgemental.
    Don't care so much about what others think.
    You should exercise regularly and maybe even try lifting some weights. It would really be good for us if you did that.

I doubt I'd listen to me though.

• lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    For me, that isn't the case at all. In fact, when I was 135lbs (my goal weight now), I thought I was fat and disgusting. I was a size 5 and thought it was huge. So when I came to the realization in my twenties that stupid high school me was actually skinny and beautiful, it made me really sad that I took all that for granted.

So, if there was one thing I could say to myself before I put on all this weight it would be "stop worrying about being fat! You're not! You're beautiful! Now go live your life, start flirting with some boys, and stop being so self conscious!!"

This was pretty much my experience. In fact, I actually see it as a good thing about getting fat (or quite possibly getting older). I thought I was fat at 125 in my teens and was generally dissatisfied with that weight (without bothering to change it) in my early 20s. When I hit 150 in my late 20s on my way up (which is overweight to be) I thought it was the end of the world it was so huge and I stopped weighing myself and kept gaining.

On the way down I started working out and even though I'd run and been active off and on as a younger person working out regularly and having fitness related goals seemed to make a huge difference in how I felt--I was focused on what my body could do, not how I looked. I realized when I hit 150 again (on the way down) and felt really quite confident about myself and what I could do that something about taking control and understanding that my weight/fitness was in a major way within my control made a difference.

So I would have told myself I looked pretty good, but I also would have told myself to start strength training and set some specific fitness goals to focus on, rather than just looks/what clothes I fit into.
  • SherryTeach
    SherryTeach Posts: 2,836 Member
    Options
    I would say "welcome back."
  • bubaluboo
    bubaluboo Posts: 2,098 Member
    Options
    You look better than you think you do but how about concentrating on weight training now.
  • lesliezimmer
    lesliezimmer Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I would say "absolutely nothing is worth achieving over maintaining your physical health, wellness and fitness"

The only thing that aided me into gaining 40 lbs over 3-ish years is because I literally said to myself "it's okay if I gain a little weight now" Because I was pre-med, applying to schools and working 50-60 hours a week in a clinic AND taking classes. It was an insane thing for me to do, I am not superman. So, I never went on to school. I gained 40 lbs from abandoning my good eating and working out routines, and I suffered from exhaustion and severe stress and anxiety from overwork.

Now, here I am working part-time, just doing things in life that I enjoy and trying hard to get back to where I was health-wise in 2010 when I thought 20, 30 or so pounds was no big deal. Now at 40+ pounds to lose, and being over 30, it's a HUGE deal. I just want my health back!
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    "Stop doubting yourself. There is something wrong with you. Go see Dr. Smith."

If only. :(:)
  • Tubbs216
    Tubbs216 Posts: 6,597 Member
    Options
    I'd say "Back away from the butter, Lardass. You're pretty trim right now, but it won't last if you keep eating whatever you want, whenever you want it. Also, forget about starting the baking business - it won't work out and you'll just gain more weight. Also, stop blaming it on the babies."
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,861 Member
    Options

I would tell my lighter self, 4 years ago ... watch those weekends. Exercise more, eat less.

• Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,861 Member
    Options
    I would say "welcome back."

That too! :)

I'm back to the same weight I was 4 years ago now. :smiley:

• ohmscheeks
    ohmscheeks Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    Enjoy eating whatever you want while you can, because that is going to change when you hit 20. And when you get a job working from 4:00 PM to Midnight; do NOT stop at Taco Bell after work each night with your boyfriend.
  • MamaBirdBoss
    MamaBirdBoss Posts: 1,516 Member
    Options
    Don't eat so much.

HAHA!

Um, I'd just tell her what I know about now about managing my medical conditions. I lost fitness long because of them before I gained weight. Weight gain was largely because I was discouraged and sick. I'd also warn myself when I was about to get knocked up. LOL. (I know you just blew out your shoulder, but you won't have a chance to lose this before you get pregnant! Don't assume you'll lose it as soon as you can move without pain!)
  • Shanairah1991
    Shanairah1991 Posts: 152 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    That's exactly how I felt. I was a size 3 coming into my 20s, then I went up to a size 5 and thought I was extremely huge. I think I would tell myself the same as you, that I was far from fat. I think in regards to gaining weight I would tell myself that as a female I CANNOT eat the same portion sizes as my fiance, who by the way doesn't gain no matter what kind of foods or portions he eats! That's actually been one of his own goals, after seeing my success, is to gain weight.