Metabolism type A?

Options
i am confused. I took 2 separate tests that both came out Type A metabolism. It says to 50%protein 30%fats(?!?!) and 20%carbs. Is this right. I 'heard' keeping fat low is best. Help!

Replies

• Lasmartchika
    Lasmartchika Posts: 3,440 Member
    Options
    Where did you take these tests? I've never heard of them at all.
  • ritz699
    ritz699 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Took the Dr Oz test (only a few questions)
    Then took the 'metabolism type self test' by Dr Kate Klemer (65 questions)
  • lishie_rebooted
    lishie_rebooted Posts: 2,973 Member
    Options
    ritz699 wrote: »

Thats your problem. Dr Oz is a quack.

Low fat is a fad that needs to die. Fat is necessary for hormone balance, helps with satiety, and won't make you fat.
  • Lasmartchika
    Lasmartchika Posts: 3,440 Member
    Options
    Oh... I see... well, I have my macros set as those percentages, and I have no problem losing weight. As far as I'm concerned, MFP's ways are to eat at the calories given (eating whatever foods you love) and if you stick with them then you'll lose weight. :)
  • ritz699
    Options
    Yes. I am trying this more to get a bit more lean and 3 to 5 lb weight loss. It's very tough. Thanks!
  • ritz699
    Options

Low fat is a fad that needs to die. Fat is necessary for hormone balance, helps with satiety, and won't make you fat.

I am trying to figure out what my macro percentages are and I am getting conflicting info.
  • lishie_rebooted
    Options

I am trying to figure out what my macro percentages are and I am getting conflicting info.

Typically suggested 1g/lbm for protein, .3g/lb for fat, carbs fall wherever. Adjust MFP percentages to match the grams as close as possible
  • ritz699
    Options
    Okay . By lb do you mean how much I currently weigh or my weight goal?
  • sensejpl
    sensejpl Posts: 7
    Options
    As far as I know you need fat, especially from nuts. I would say good ratio would be 20% - 30 % of fat and carbo with protein you adjust to how full you want to feel. Proteins will keep you full much longer than carbs. So what you had was quite ok. Plenty of cooked chicken with veggies and you probably get ratios like that.
  • sensejpl
    Options
    Oh I should also mention that 1 gram of fat is 2 grams of protein/carbs
  • lishie_rebooted
    Options
    Okay . By lb do you mean how much I currently weigh or my weight goal?

Lbm is lean body mass.
    Lb is your current weight.

Also make sure your deficit is set to 0.5lb/week since you have so little to lose
  • lishie_rebooted
    Options
    sensejpl wrote: »

1g fat = 9 calories
    1g protein or carbs = 4 calories

The accurate way to put that
  • sensejpl
    Options

1g fat = 9 calories

Totally right but when you say to someone 1g of fat = 2.25g of carbs/protein
    It doesn't stay in their mind :>
    Twice as much works on imagination better hehe
  • lishie_rebooted
    Options

1g fat = 9 calories

Totally right but when you say to someone 1g of fat = 2.25g of carbs/protein
    It doesn't stay in their mind :>
    Twice as much works on imagination better hehe

I prefer accuracy
  • HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    Metabolism types has basically been debunked. Avoid Dr. Oz like the plague. He's a total shill.

C/F/P percentage recommendations are in flux right now based on recent research findings. Generally a C/F/P 40%/30%/30% is a balanced figure. Fat is no longer considered an all out no-no. Rather one should keep saturated fat to less than 7% of daily calories and avoid transfats altogether.

Here's a readable article about "ending the low fat myth": http://www.hsph.harvard.edu/nutritionsource/fats-full-story/

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,669 Member
    Options
    Don't buy into this.
    As mentioned above, a macro setting of 40/30/30 is a pretty good general setup.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• ritz699
    Options
    Wow!!thanks guys as you can see I was struggling. Hope everyone has a nice day
  • ritz699
    Options
    :D
  • ruggedshutter
    ruggedshutter Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    Just use this calculator. It lets you adjust them if you want or go with their standard values.

http://iifym.com/iifym-calculator/
  • Charm4u76132
    Charm4u76132 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Metabolic typing has been very helpful to me. This totally explained why I could never lose weight and felt terrible following either a low carb or low fat diet. Discovered that I'm a Mixed or Balanced Type. My energy is great and I easily shed unwanted pounds and inches when doing a balanced type diet. I know other people who have success following either a low carb or low fat diet. Obviously, they are a different metabolic diet type than me. :smile:

There are 3 basic metabolic types: Protein Types, Mixed Types and Carb Types.

Protein Types are carb sensitive, so do well with low carb, high protein and high fat diets (40-30-30 or even less carbs like 25-50-25).

Carb Types are fat sensitive, so do well with high carb, lower protein and very low fat (65-20-15).

Mixed or Balanced Types, need a balanced diet of 50-30-20.

1. The book, 'Metabolic Typing' explains all of this in detail and contains an extensive assessment (available on Kindle). There's also a website with lots of free info. www.metabolictyping.com
    2. Dr. Mercola calls it Nutritional Types. There's lots of free info., plus a free assessment at: www.mercola.com
    3. The Hauser Diet expands this to 5 different diet types, with fun animal names. Lots of free info. at www.hauserdiet.com. Take the free short quiz (they used 10 questions from Metabolic Typing) at:
    http://www.caringmedical.com/nutrition-for-healing/hauser-diet-quiz/

Hope this is helpful to someone! - Nancy