What is the best meal replacement?

Options
I do squats and walk around the store almost daily but that's about it when it comes to working out so what would be a great meal replacement? It has been a while since I've ate clean and and the last time I was on a meal replacement I found it easier to control what I ate for the whole day but that one was kind of expensive. Any help would be great! Thank you ☺️

Replies

• Ironmaiden4life
    Ironmaiden4life Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    How you choose to eat is personal choice but using meal replacements to control your eating pattern isn't healthy in my opinion.

Eating clean is a very subjective term that means different things to different people. Waft a piece of grass fed organic beef under a vegan's noise and tell them it's clean and you'll probably get whacked round the head with their lentil burger!!

A healthy diet should be a balanced one where you eat a wide range of foods that fit within your personal food doctrine (culture, religion, medical conditions). Nutritionally around 80 - 90% should be unprocessed 'whole' foods.

If your goal is to lose weight then you need to create a sensible calorie deficit that enable you to lose 1 - 2lb of weight per week.

By all means fit in a meal replacement shake if it makes it more convenient to get calories due to a busy schedule but please don't rely on them as a core element that you build your diet around.
  • reginaduran2015
    reginaduran2015 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Thank you for the info but all I asked was what was the best meal replacement I do have a busy life and could use a quick meal replacement here and there but I have no clue about this stuff
  • Ironmaiden4life
    Ironmaiden4life Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    If you're not particular about macro breakdowns or fitting it into a calorie controlled diet then go with something simple like Ensure. Stay away from whey and casein protein supplements as they have too few carbs to be considered a meal replacement. You could go for a mass gainer but that will put a significant dent in your wallet versus something like Ensure.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Ensure and boost are the most nutritious and well-liked liquid meals. Most people have a strong preference on brand and chocolate v vanilla. I've only met two people who preferred strawberry.
  • SherryTeach
    SherryTeach Posts: 2,836 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    We all have a busy life. Batch cooking once every few weeks and freezing single serve portions of foods has made a huge difference in the quality of my eating, my health, and my ability to maintain my loss. Make yourself a priority and stop using busyness as an excuse not to prepare fresh food. It doesn't take that much time. Add to that the fact that you have a child. If you are too busy to cook, what does your child eat?
  • cindyangotti
    cindyangotti Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    I am currently using GNC Lean 25 and GNC. Puredge. I understand and appreciate meal replacements for breakfast. If you do a search for meal replacement or protein shakes you will be able to see what others are using.
  • PatsyFitzpatrick
    PatsyFitzpatrick Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    I like Muscle Milk buy it at the grocery store or Walmart. I use Cashew Milk 25 cal unsweetened plus pbfit. mmm
    Enjoy.
    Patsy
    Lutz fl
  • Carnivor0us
    Carnivor0us Posts: 1,752 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    1 cup full fat greek yogurt
    Half an avocado
    a bit of pineapple juice
    half a banana
    a splash of milk, cream or water if necessary

Blend in a, uh, blender.

Drink.
  • IsaackGMOON
    IsaackGMOON Posts: 3,358 Member
    Options
    aundreago wrote: »
    Herbalife formula 1 Healthy Meal is the number 1 meal replacement on the market. I can help you with it

Do I smell... internet sales?

• newfutures
    newfutures Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    We all have a busy life. Batch cooking once every few weeks and freezing single serve portions of foods has made a huge difference in the quality of my eating, my health, and my ability to maintain my loss. Make yourself a priority and stop using busyness as an excuse not to prepare fresh food. It doesn't take that much time. Add to that the fact that you have a child. If you are too busy to cook, what does your child eat?

same here. I cook up enough for 2 or 3 meals at a time. much better than winging it or going for a meal bar or something. Good point on the child question too. I have 2 baby daughters. Getting into the habit of cooking and making real food available now is great practice and habit for when they get older needing to eat too
  • newfutures
    newfutures Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    aundreago wrote: »
    Herbalife formula 1 Healthy Meal is the number 1 meal replacement on the market. I can help you with it

Do I smell... internet sales?

sounds like it
  • SherryTeach
    Options
    I cook up to three weeks of food at a time. . . all neatly portioned out and frozen. At the moment my freezer has single serve portions of pork tenderloin and rice, roasted parmesan chicken with quinoa, sirloin steak stir fry, turkey chili, ham and bean soup, chicken pesto pasta with asparagus and walnuts. I won't need to do any more major cooking until mid July! I just put on an audiobook or bring my laptop into the kitchen and watch Netflix and spend a morning.
  • skinnymamain2015
    skinnymamain2015 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    What containers do you use to freeze these foods? What sizes? How many do you have on hand? Thanks!
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,506 Member
    Options
    I do squats and walk around the store almost daily but that's about it when it comes to working out so what would be a great meal replacement? It has been a while since I've ate clean and and the last time I was on a meal replacement I found it easier to control what I ate for the whole day but that one was kind of expensive. Any help would be great! Thank you ☺️
    Did you stop eating "clean" because it wasn't sustainable? And the same for a meal replacement? Why would doing again be different this time around?

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • SherryTeach
    Options
    What containers do you use to freeze these foods? What sizes? How many do you have on hand? Thanks!

I buy the round Ziplock containers with screw on lids. I'm not sure of the size, but they come in packs of three at all major grocery stores. They will easily fit a half cup of rice and 3-4 ounces of meat or a portion of the many casseroles and stir fries I make. I probably own at least 40 of them, in fact so many I had to buy a wicker box and put it in my bedroom closet. My whole freezer is stacked up with food. With just a modest amount of Sunday afternoon effort a couple of times a month, I can have a lot of variety and no effort during the week. It is the key to my ability to stay in maintenance.
  • buttshrink
    buttshrink Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I really like the Advocare mocha chocolate flavor meat replacement shake. I blend it with water ice and a half banana.

I also just make my own smoothies. Whatever frozen fruit I have one hand plus spinach , protien powder, and almond milk. I always add at least half a banana for creamyness. This takes longer than the meal replacement shake but less than cooking.
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    Eating clean is a very subjective term that means different things to different people. Waft a piece of grass fed organic beef under a vegan's noise and tell them it's clean and you'll probably get whacked round the head with their lentil burger!!

:D You made me spit my tea on to my lap top screen!
  • kellyjellybellyjelly
    kellyjellybellyjelly Posts: 9,480 Member
    Options

This. I quickly made rice in the microwave & pasta on the oven & had it for the past week.
  • jenniferzlangkjaer
    jenniferzlangkjaer Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    My sister lost 40 lbs with Medifast. She travels all week for business and lives alone so it works out really well for her. It is not cheap, but you can order from Amazon. I would try it, but I live in Europe so cannot get the products here.
  • skinnymamain2015
    skinnymamain2015 Posts: 9 Member
    Options

I buy the round Ziplock containers with screw on lids. I'm not sure of the size, but they come in packs of three at all major grocery stores. They will easily fit a half cup of rice and 3-4 ounces of meat or a portion of the many casseroles and stir fries I make. I probably own at least 40 of them, in fact so many I had to buy a wicker box and put it in my bedroom closet. My whole freezer is stacked up with food. With just a modest amount of Sunday afternoon effort a couple of times a month, I can have a lot of variety and no effort during the week. It is the key to my ability to stay in maintenance.

Thank u sherry!!! I added you as a friend! Ur very inspiring!