Any benefit to casein (for someone like me)?

Options

Replies

• jessef593
    jessef593 Posts: 2,272 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry, I honestly spent 20 minutes trying to find the original where I had actually found the information proving the study to be true. I felt bad just posting that. I'll keep looking though, I know facts with out proof are little more than hearsay.
  • kwtilbury
    kwtilbury Posts: 1,234 Member
    Options
    Casein isn't a chemical. It's a milk-based protein. So you're saying we should all stop drinking milk?
  • 460mustang
    460mustang Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    Dr. T Colin Campbell is a vegan, promoting the vegan lifestyle. http://nutritionstudies.org/ So you can decide whether it's right or wrong
  • jessef593
    Options
    I never said that, I was just saying what I had read, it's your choice to believe it or not. I have 3 isolate shakes a day.
  • jessef593
    Options
    If you want answers you'll have to contact him.
  • FoxyLifter
    FoxyLifter Posts: 965 Member
    Options
    kwtilbury wrote: »
    Casein isn't a chemical. It's a milk-based protein. So you're saying we should all stop drinking milk?

Technically, casein is a chemical. Milk is a chemical. All matter is made up of chemicals. Chemical is not a bad word and I hate that it is perceived that way. /rant :wink:
  • jessef593
    Options
    FoxyLifter wrote: »

Technically, casein is a chemical. Milk is a chemical. All matter is made up of chemicals. Chemical is not a bad word and I hate that it is perceived that way. /rant :wink:

Thank you, always fun to be ganged up on. Glad someone's got my back
  • nickatine
    nickatine Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    If u have trouble hitting your daily protein goals, and u want a thicker blending shake that keeps you full. Than go for it by all means use casein. I'm currently using quest protein powder which is a blend of whey isolate and casein. Definately the best tasting thickest blend powder I have ever come across.
  • Ironmaiden4life
    Ironmaiden4life Posts: 422 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    It's always better if you're going to talk about hot topic issues like carcinogens in food to have your ducks in a row before you start ie be able to link the research paper/ original study data. Or at least preface it by saying something like 'hey still doing my own reading on this but this is what this doctors saying'

You will always face peer review/opinion but it makes for a more meaningful and educational discussion than just throwing out a ' be warned this causes cancer!' Just my opinion :)

• kwtilbury
    kwtilbury Posts: 1,234 Member
    Options
    jessef593 wrote: »

Thank you, always fun to be ganged up on. Glad someone's got my back

Care to answer the question?
  • FoxyLifter
    Options
    For the record I have no proof either way as to whether or not casein is a carcinogen. I do believe in moderation and casein hasn't killed me yet. In fact, I'm having it for breakfast tomorrow (protein mug cake mmmmm).

To the OP, if you can handle lactaid milk, I think you can handle casein (they are two different proteins found in milk), but don't take my word for it. I am not a doctor. Maybe look for some other alternatives. There's pea protein, egg protein, hemp protein, and Trutein makes a vegan protein powder. Not sure what's in it, but it's worth a look for you perhaps. :smile:
  • rbiss
    rbiss Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    I like Garden of Life Raw fit. Its a variety of plant based proteins. If you need more protein and want to get it from a powder, this one is pretty good if you want to avoid casein.
  • MamaBirdBoss
    MamaBirdBoss Posts: 1,516 Member
    Options

#girlcrush
  • MrGonzo05
    MrGonzo05 Posts: 1,120 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Is soy protein alone going to cut it?

There is nothing wrong with soy, but you can also add protein to your diet in other ways. You're probably going to get tired of soy as the months tick off.

Is there a benefit to casein for someone like me? Is it worth a possible belly-ache due to the lactose intolerance?

Casein is fine, but in your case you aren't likely to see a benefit versus whey if that's what your asking. It's possible that either casein or whey will cause issues in lactose intolerant people, because the processing doesn't completely remove all traces of lactose. You will have to try it and see if you can tolerate it.

• senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member
    Options
    To the OP, if you can handle lactaid milk, I think you can handle casein (they are two different proteins found in milk), but don't take my word for it. I am not a doctor. Maybe look for some other alternatives. There's pea protein, egg protein, hemp protein, and Trutein makes a vegan protein powder. Not sure what's in it, but it's worth a look for you perhaps. :smile:

Lactose intolerance has to do with lactose, the sugar in milk. Casein and Whey can both affect people with lactose intolerance because the process to make them doesn't remove all lactose. Hydrolized whey or casein generally don't affect lactose intolerance because the process used to make them doesn't leave enough lactose in the product.
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    I can't digest casein (milk protein) properly, so I try to avoid it. It causes me all sorts of intestinal problems. I'm sure some people could benefit from it, I'm just not one of them. I use a complete pea protein blend.
  • ewstahl
    ewstahl Posts: 5 Member
    Options

Is soy protein alone going to cut it?

There is nothing wrong with soy, but you can also add protein to your diet in other ways. You're probably going to get tired of soy as the months tick off.

Is there a benefit to casein for someone like me? Is it worth a possible belly-ache due to the lactose intolerance?

Casein is fine, but in your case you aren't likely to see a benefit versus whey if that's what your asking. It's possible that either casein or whey will cause issues in lactose intolerant people, because the processing doesn't completely remove all traces of lactose. You will have to try it and see if you can tolerate it.

I avoid soy as I am on tamoxifen. Soy products may or may not increase your risk of cancer http://www.breastcancer.org/tips/nutrition/reduce_risk/foods/soy . My husband drinks protein shakes because he had stomach stapling. I would recommend looking at stats on GNC (not a plug, really). They have a good variety to choose from and you most likely will find something to suit your needs and tastes. http://www.gnc.com/Protein/category.jsp?categoryId=3593187
  • FoxyLifter
    Options
    senecarr wrote: »

Lactose intolerance has to do with lactose, the sugar in milk. Casein and Whey can both affect people with lactose intolerance because the process to make them doesn't remove all lactose. Hydrolized whey or casein generally don't affect lactose intolerance because the process used to make them doesn't leave enough lactose in the product.

Interesting. I've have a friend who has a child that's lactose intolerant so that was I was going off of. Sounds like there's more to the story than what I thought. Hydrolized is the key, is what you're saying then, yes?
  • senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member
    Options
    senecarr wrote: »

Interesting. I've have a friend who has a child that's lactose intolerant so that was I was going off of. Sounds like there's more to the story than what I thought. Hydrolized is the key, is what you're saying then, yes?

Hydrolyzed protein has been treated in what I believe is an acid bath, similar to going through the stomach. The process leaves a lot of protein broken down to just individual amino acids. The amount of lactose that survives the process, if any, is too little to upset most people that are lactose intolerant.
  • brendak76
    brendak76 Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    Have you considered hemp or pea protein powders? Trader Joes makes a great hemp one. It is very kind to my digestive system.