Nutritional Needs in Ramadan - The Muslim Month of Fasting Dawn to Sunset

javba2
javba2 Posts: 57 Member
Fasting is a part of most if not all spiritual belief systems and this post intends to discuss the nutrition of fasting not intended to be a who's who and why's what on Ramadan.

So for the Lunar Calendar Month of Ramadan - from before dawn (something like 3 am) to sunset (something like 830 PM) because these are long summer days. There's nothing allowed by mouth - i.e. no water and no sustenance for the "food part" of the fasting.

The challenges are
1- What to eat that burns slow enough for that period of time - and the volume that goes with it. Most people here in MFP are likely in a 1200 - 1800 calorie range - so that means a 600 - 900 calorie meal in the morning hours and something like that after sunset.

2- However - the body's energy consumption is more during the day - and not much at night -so that skews the calories more like 60% in the morning and 40% at night - adding to the challenge of dietary balance.

3- Then the most / hardest part is "living off water" and "Living off Caffeine"
Off Water means you're thirsty - and need foods that hold water and do not cause thirst -so diets higher in Sodium are hard to sustain - cause they'll keep you thirsty in the day.

4- Caffeine - my own biggest problem - How do I get that in the day :smile:

So I'll now fold this post - and let people opine what foods they feel may be helpful and why. Most people actually "Do NOT lose weight" in Ramadan because they end up eating stuff at night that sticks :smile:

Thanks for Reading so Far.

Replies

• Dreamingisbliss
    Dreamingisbliss Posts: 18 Member
    I've been doing overnight oats in the morning! I mix in some almond milk, vanilla chobani, and chop up about a third of mango the night before and eat that for suhoor. Depending on what I'm feeling, I'll also have eggs/egg whites and/or a chocolate protein shake (w/almond milk and peppermint extract).

Also I've been considering just eating my usual dinner foods (salmon/avocado/quinoa) just because i'll usually have leftovers or it just feels more filling. We'll see as the month goes on though....
  • javba2
    Yes, oats based jars can pack good amount of calories and you can protien load it also.
  • mkakids
    mkakids Posts: 1,913 Member
    In my experience (I am Arabian, but Catholic), most people don't lose weight during Ramadan because they eat a "feast" each evening after sunset. I have actually seen people gain during this time, simply because they eat a MASSIVE meal once a day (sometimes with the thought of....I'm only eating 1x today, so no need for portion control).

Its only a 16/17 hour fasting window. There are plenty of people who follow 16/8 IF with no hunger. After the first 2ish days, its no longer an issue. The issue is usually the lack of water. Many people I know alter their sleeping habits slightly during this time, to sleep more during the day and be awake more at night. Some people do not change their normal sleep routine though and do just fine.
  • janjunie
    janjunie Posts: 1,200 Member
    Make sure you take your vitamins. I take b12, iron, vitamin c d and e. Along with that eat the most healthy whole foods I possibly can. Sugar and too many carbs will make u crash, sodium and caffeine will make u dehydrated. If I have any sweets at all I eat them closer to Iftar than to suhoor.
  • lubna_mussa
    lubna_mussa Posts: 3 Member
    I usually break my fast with 3 dates, some fruits followed by a cup of clear liquid soup..
    Drink about a glass or 2 of water.. Then I make sure I always make salads for every Iftar.. So il have my salad, followed by either chicken/fish. Some roasted vegetables, or vegetable curry with a small wholewheat chapati/roti (no oil at all).. Again drink more water.. After about 3 hours il have some chia seed pudding to give me some fibre, mix it with my date milkshake.. And for suhoor I have fresh fruit mixed salad or cereal..
    Aha, Actually after Iftar, I have a cup of green tea, and a water bottle of 25ounce, I always make sure I refill my cup and my bottle, so usually by the end of the night, I would have drunk about 2.2-3 liters of water before going to bed.. By force!!!!
    I don't have a huge family, it's just me and my husband, and I control what comes out my kitchen.. I try to make my Iftar dinner the same as everyday.. Il add 1 other snacks to start with, but that's usually baked and homemade, not store bought!! And I walk at a brisk pace for about 40-60 mins on the treadmill before Iftar.. I feel great, I eat well, well hydrated too.. Oh I forgot to add, I make those sweet fried dumblings (luqaimat) for my husband, and id usually treat myself to 4 pieces!!..
  • javba2
    Excellent responses, yes sleep helps but in modern schedules few can afford that schedule change.

Chia seeds are excellent for holding water. Excess free water is always urinated out so doesn't help.

It's really a challenge not to eat a feast after a fast :-) but that's why we're here to learn to eat right.

Thanks