• lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    aggelikik wrote: »
    yarwell wrote: »
    Saturated fat is healthy and not realted to increased risk of health issues, only on MFP and nowhere else

Two website pieces from temples of conventional wisdom and one opinion from Walter Walrus Willett, so deep in the Lipid Hypothesis you can't see him anymore, trying to slag off a study. That all you got ? LOL.

Willett should produce a peer reviewed analysis that supports his position, not try to scare people off evidence that counters it.

Key issue for me is that the saturated fat level in the bloodstream is not a function of that in the diet.

Last time I checked, Willett was the head of Nutrition department in one of the most high ranking schools on Health, not the banana girl or some random blogger. I understand that people like complicated and exotic, or at least unconventional diets. We all want to be special snowflakes, and just following some boring calorie counting balanced nutrients "normal" eating plan does not sound that exciting. Eating at 80% fat or eating bacon only or bananas only or other similar things does sound more exciting, and might even work for some, but from there to dismissing health concerns from reputable medical sites and reputable health professionals, because they are "conventional"... what can I say? I hope the average person has the common sense to evaluate the advice of boring health professionals over the advice of random people on the internet, although I must admit the number of fruitaritarians, paleo eaters, cleanse fanatics etc make me doubt this. In the end, we are all responsible for own lifestyle choices, the risks we are willing to take and the long term impact on our health.

Out of curiosity: how much do you know about the diet and lifestyle Dr. Willett advocates? "normal" (meaning mainstream here) isn't how I'd describe it.

I am not American. If what you say is true, perhaps my mainstream is not the American mainstream, which I have no reason to doubt. So for me, what he advocates is pretty much "normal". I suspect for most of the world it is not that far from mainstream, but this is based on my very limited personal experience, not on any research.
    The Harvard pyramid is not that exotic to me, it is actually very close to traditional for me
    https://cdn1.sph.harvard.edu/wp-content/uploads/sites/30/2012/10/healthy-eating-pyramid-700-link.jpg

And even if he was advocating something really unusual, he still is the head of a very reputable medical school, I think he is the most referenced scientist in his field, so dismissing (not you) his work as if he were just one more clueless person, it makes me roll my eyes.

A diet that relegates red meat to "use sparingly" is not very mainstream American.
    And a diet that is based HEAVILY on vegetables isn't very popular it seems either.

I'd be fine with his diet if it weren't for "whole grains at most meals". Blech. I'd feel like crap.
    Vegetables, nuts, seeds, fruits, seafood, tofu, legumes etc. sure!

PS: many of the low carb/HIGH fat names you hear floating around are professors of medical schools etc. as well.
    cheers

pps: good vegetarian low carb/high fat diet for fun.

I am skeptical about some of Willett's positions too (and in particular the focus on grains, although I'm not anti grains). However, I do find it interesting how often those who claim to be anti carb due to the alleged unhealthiness of carbs (often to the point of being skeptical of fruits and veggies) completely ignore or deny the fact that mainstream nutrition scientists like Willett are still raising concerns about saturated fat. You'd think it was well established that bacon should be increased in all diets and whole grains and legumes and peaches decreased.

That the SAD is terrible in lots of ways doesn't change that.
  • conoramck
    conoramck Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Fvaisey wrote: »
    j75j75 wrote: »
    I ditched protein powder not too long ago. My morning shake now consists of heavy whipping cream, raw eggs and cinnamon :)

I tend to eat about a maintenance level of protein, maybe just a little higher in case I actually do the strength training I plan on doing. lol. The body turns excess protein into carbs anyway. My morning drink is coffee, eggs, cocoa and coconut oil. LOVE it!

Lol this sounds interesting, do you just blend it all together I take it?? Seen a post recently about blending tofu and adding vanilla to it to make your own protein shake.

dietenv wrote: »
    As long as you're consuming healthy fats from plants such as avocados, nuts, seeds, and olive oil - go for it! If you're into meat, stick with organic, grass fed lean meat - just don't go over 300 mg of cholesterol. If you get your fat from plants, you will not have to worry about cholesterol at all.

Thanks for this, Avocado and Nuts are becoming more and more of a staple in my diet. Is it alright to eat two Avocados a day or is that over doing it? what about dairy like grass fed butter, whole milk and full fat greek yogurt, would that raise cholesterol the same way as meat would??
  • conoramck
    Options
    dietenv wrote: »
    As long as you're consuming healthy fats from plants such as avocados, nuts, seeds, and olive oil - go for it! If you're into meat, stick with organic, grass fed lean meat - just don't go over 300 mg of cholesterol. If you get your fat from plants, you will not have to worry about cholesterol at all.

Just checked my Cholesterol levels from breakfast this morning, turns out its about 370mg's lol. must have been all the eggs!
  • missiontofitness
    missiontofitness Posts: 4,074 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    I like eating higher fat. Through my personal experience, fat keeps me full, keeps me sane (I need Klondike bars and steak in my intake, darn it!), and it's great if you need to eat something more calorically dense to hit your calories for the day. Plus, it's good for brain functioning!

I used to be scared of fat, but once I realized that fat is an essential macro and fat won't make you fat, I upped my daily goal and never looked back.
  • keemra
    keemra Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I am not sure if this is true everywhere, but in many places, if you donate blood to a blood bank, hemoglobin and cholesterol checks are part of the procedure and are free.

A low carb/high fat diet works really well for me as long as I make sure I get lots and lots of nutrient dense low carb veggies. I don't absorb supplements well, so if I eat my few carbs in the form of junk I lose energy and start to develop other health problems as well. A green smoothie with coconut milk and a bit of protein on the side, about an hour before the gym usually sets me up great for a really good workout.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    keemra wrote: »

I am skeptical about some of Willett's positions too (and in particular the focus on grains, although I'm not anti grains). However, I do find it interesting how often those who claim to be anti carb due to the alleged unhealthiness of carbs (often to the point of being skeptical of fruits and veggies) completely ignore or deny the fact that mainstream nutrition scientists like Willett are still raising concerns about saturated fat. You'd think it was well established that bacon should be increased in all diets and whole grains and legumes and peaches decreased.

Mainstream bodies are seeking to reduce the focus on sat fat as an issue. http://www.eatrightpro.org/resource/advocacy/take-action/regulatory-comments/dgac-scientific-report based on evidence.

They even say " Therefore, it appears that the evidence summarized by the DGAC suggests that the most effective recommendation for the reduction in cardiovascular disease would be a reduction in carbohydrate intake with replacement by polyunsaturated fat. " which favours fats over grains.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    yarwell wrote: »
    keemra wrote: »

Mainstream bodies are seeking to reduce the focus on sat fat as an issue. http://www.eatrightpro.org/resource/advocacy/take-action/regulatory-comments/dgac-scientific-report based on evidence.

They even say " Therefore, it appears that the evidence summarized by the DGAC suggests that the most effective recommendation for the reduction in cardiovascular disease would be a reduction in carbohydrate intake with replacement by polyunsaturated fat. " which favours fats over grains.

Not sat fat, though, which was the point.
  • Fvaisey
    Fvaisey Posts: 5,506 Member
    Options
    Even the antideluvian USDA is stating that fat/cholesterol intake doesn't affect blood lipids.

My cholesterol intake is around 1000mg daily but my HDL/LDL ratio tested better last week than any time before in my life. Triglycerides, total cholesterol and blood sugar were also well into normal for the first time ever.

• Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    I ditched protein powder not too long ago. My morning shake now consists of heavy whipping cream, raw eggs and cinnamon :)

Lol, raw eggs
  • Fvaisey
    Fvaisey Posts: 5,506 Member
    Options
    Acg67 wrote: »

Lol, raw eggs

lol! If it's good enough for Rocky...
  • miriamtob
    miriamtob Posts: 436 Member
    Options

I make a chai with 2 raw eggs, chai spices, and MCT oil. Zap it with an immersion blender. It's so good, but sometimes I worry about the raw eggs... I never worry about the cholesterol ;)
  • Ironmaiden4life
    Ironmaiden4life Posts: 422 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Don't do raw eggs! There's the obvious salmonella issue but ingesting raw unprocessed eggs frequently puts you at risk of developing a biotin deficiency. I'd just do the whipped cream and cinnamon :) lol
  • 3AAnn3
    3AAnn3 Posts: 3,055 Member
    Options
    Fat is awesome.
  • conoramck
    Options
  • conoramck
    Options
    conoramck wrote: »
    h40ldobb6sc0.jpgubpyk8hinruz.jpg

Had an awesome high fat breakfast this morning. Egg pizza with mozzarella avocado, olive, Ham and some other veg
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    Yum! I make similar, but mush avo with finely chopped coriander and spread it over the top with sugar free BBQ sauce....

My lunch was awesome - crispy skin ocean trout, on green vegies cooked in butter and coconut oil and herbs and spices, that had avo and chopped nuts stirred through. The avo makes the vegies slightly creamy.
  • conoramck
    Options
    Sounds great, Coriander is a great mix with Avocado, its a must in Guacamole!

Fish is something I have to start eating far more of. At the moment I eat Tuna and Salmon and that's about the height of it.

Cooking with the Coconut Oil is great as well, gives everything nice flavor.
  • j75j75
    j75j75 Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    Don't do raw eggs! There's the obvious salmonella issue but ingesting raw unprocessed eggs frequently puts you at risk of developing a biotin deficiency. I'd just do the whipped cream and cinnamon :) lol

Salmonella risk is way over-exaggerated. Biotin deficiency is easily fixed by eating some cooked eggs as well as raw. I usually have 3-4 raw eggs in my shake in the morning, 3-4 fried eggs with dinner.
  • j75j75
    j75j75 Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    miriamtob wrote: »

I make a chai with 2 raw eggs, chai spices, and MCT oil. Zap it with an immersion blender. It's so good, but sometimes I worry about the raw eggs... I never worry about the cholesterol ;)

That does sound good :)
  • isulo_kura
    isulo_kura Posts: 818 Member
    Options
    I'm afraid despite what the high fat proponents think. the mainstream medical community still agree there is a link between dietary cholesterol and heart disease. To me this pro eat silly amounts of fat idea is just another case of wishful thinking. People like to hear good news about their bad habits

http://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMe1507041

In my opinion if a group of well respected scientist review the available literature in one of the most well respected medical journals in the world and conclude dietary cholesterol is still an issue personally I think ignoring that is just wishful thinking