Loss...and not a good one.

Options
Is anyone else sad/frustrated that some of the most helpful members have been banned from the forums? I get that some of the posts were little straightforward, but it seems like the baby was thrown out with the bath water.

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Why? Who's gone?
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,089 Member
    Options
    I've only noticed one gone. But im sure there's plenty more. I believe his username was something like @MrM27 ... i used to enjoy reading his comments because they where straight to the point. I am not friends with him but did like reading what he wrote because i agreed with everything he said.
  • pollypocket1021
    pollypocket1021 Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    thorsmom01 wrote: »
    I've only noticed one gone. But im sure there's plenty more. I believe his username was something like @MrM27 ... i used to enjoy reading his comments because they where straight to the point. I am not friends with him but did like reading what he wrote because i agreed with everything he said.

@herrspoons and ana(with a number afterwards that I can't remember) were kicked off shortly before that.
  • tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,459 Member
    Options
    I've seen herrspoons around, no? Thought the others were on vacation or something, hunh.

All those people had good information, but I mean, if they were banned, they probably did things against MFP policy. The moderators don't do that kind of thing lightly.
  • zoeysasha37
    Options

@herrspoons and ana(with a number afterwards that I can't remember) were kicked off shortly before that.

Couldn't they just use a new email address and create a new acct ? Im sure some will and others may not. But it really does a disservice to mfp community by banning those people, they went out of their way to guide others in the right direction and protect new members from misinformation. I once saw one of the above mentioned members go out of their way to help a beach body shakeology pusher to understand why what they where trying to sell was wrong. They provided the truth as to what was really the ingredients in the shakes and provided all the scientific research on why it was a total scam. By the end of the thread, the beach body coach understood completely and agreed not to sell the junk products anymore. They talked the whole thing out and anyone new that may have been nieve enough to buy beach body stuff would now know how much of a scam it was. My point to the story is that they helped a lot of people learn about the healthy way to lose weight
  • cmcdonald525
    cmcdonald525 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    They were the ones who gave the best information and were straight to the point. They debunked the diet myths, shot down the fad diets, and cleared up a lot of misinformation. They may have been blunt and hurt a few feelings, but they were assets to the community.
  • DeterminedFee201426
    DeterminedFee201426 Posts: 859 Member
    Options
    :/
  • jnv7594
    jnv7594 Posts: 983 Member
    Options
    I wondered what happened to ana. I guess that explains why I haven't seen her post in a while. I thought I saw Mr. M post the other day? Maybe not. It's unfortunate because they always gave good, straightforward information. Were they blunt? Of course. But that doesn't take away from their advice. I remember my first run-in with Mr. M, lol. He annoyed the hell out of me, and even pissed me off. I never once flagged him though. After I stopped being butt hurt by his bluntness and got over it, I started considering what he was actually saying. He is one of the people I ended up learning the most from on here and helped me completely change my idea of what "dieting" is. When I am able to keep my weight off in the long run, and I know now that I can, it will be to his and a handful of other people's credit on this board.
  • NoIdea101NoIdea
    NoIdea101NoIdea Posts: 659 Member
    Options
    Caitwn wrote: »
    They were the ones who gave the best information and were straight to the point. They debunked the diet myths, shot down the fad diets, and cleared up a lot of misinformation. They may have been blunt and hurt a few feelings, but they were assets to the community.

This. Exactly this. I'd give a lot to see @MrM27 back, for example. I'd far rather deal with a little 'tough love' than have those folks gone, and I feel like we're seeing so much garbage on the forums lately - beach body stuff, 'metabolic typing', bear/monkey/whatever diets, etc. Ugh. The woo is everywhere, and it's just so frustrating because people come here, sometimes in desperation, and are vulnerable to all of these "miracle" scams and general BS approaches that won't do anything other than throw them off-track in the long run.

Seriously, is there an official avenue to request that some of these posters be reinstated?

If there was, i imagine there would also have to be an avenue where people could request these members not be reinstated.

And now i'm imagining Game Of Thrones 'trial by combat' style plays :p
  • zoeysasha37
    Options

This. Exactly this. I'd give a lot to see @MrM27 back, for example. I'd far rather deal with a little 'tough love' than have those folks gone, and I feel like we're seeing so much garbage on the forums lately - beach body stuff, 'metabolic typing', bear/monkey/whatever diets, etc. Ugh.

Seriously, is there an official avenue to request that some of these posters be reinstated?

Maybe if we all emailed Olivia asking for @MrM27 to be allowed back because he was an asset to our community. Without people like him who are willing to stand up and say it like it is, this community would easily be overtaken by diet pill advocates, beach body and all mlm scheme pushers, and all the other nonsense. If someone wants to organize a mass email to the mods explaining why we feel he deserves a second chance, i will be more then happy to sign it.
    But there
  • zoeysasha37
    Options
    I cant get back in to edit, but there is a chance that the butt hurt people would protest our efforts to have him reinstated. I think the people that would want him back would out number any butt hurt folks though for sure
  • PrizePopple
    PrizePopple Posts: 3,133 Member
    Options

You mean @ana3067 yeah?

• kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,902 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options

This. Exactly this. I'd give a lot to see @MrM27 back, for example. I'd far rather deal with a little 'tough love' than have those folks gone, and I feel like we're seeing so much garbage on the forums lately - beach body stuff, 'metabolic typing', bear/monkey/whatever diets, etc. Ugh. The woo is everywhere, and it's just so frustrating because people come here, sometimes in desperation, and are vulnerable to all of these "miracle" scams and general BS approaches that won't do anything other than throw them off-track in the long run.
    Some of these posters? Just the ones you like? What about the ones I like? Are we going to take a vote and let the popular posters back in? This won't be a representative sample as any of the posters who were driven off by an excess of "tough love" won't have an opportunity to vote.
    I'll email Olivia to let her know about this thread
  • kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options
    It shouldn't come as a surprise that this thread is now closed. But I am going to address concerns about posters who have been banned.

As you all know, users who accumulate 5 active points are banned from the forums: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10007789/flagged-content-reported-posts-warning-points

In cases where a user has been banned, that individual has received multiple warnings to accumulate 5 points. Often the user has also received multiple no-point and 2-point warnings that have expired prior to the events where they accumulated the points. Additionally, bannings of contributing forums users (not spammers or trolls) are not taken lightly by the mods and staff. There have been discussions between banned users and mods/staff over PM prior to bannings trying to clarify what is and is not acceptable in the forums, and an effort made to work with that member to keep them in the community.

To clarify, we do not ban people based on their position on this topic or that topic. Users are banned for violating the community guidelines. They receive multiple warnings telling them that they have violated the guidelines. The guidelines are readily available for anyone to review at any time, and contact information for mods and staff is available in the MFP News & Announcements section if there are any questions about the guidelines.

Banning a contributing community member is never fun, because we know that people have information to share and have taken the time to help other users. However, the guidelines are in place for a reason, and they apply to everyone. Amount of time on the forum, or post count, or how many people like you doesn't mean that a user gets a pass from the guidelines. Ultimately, the user makes their own decision to either contribute respectfully to the community within the guidelines, or violate the guidelines and be banned.
This discussion has been closed.