Cutting?

Options
bdommyb
bdommyb Posts: 13 Member
Hey guys! I would like to think that I go to the gym pretty often. Now the question is: how much calories should I eat to be cutting without losing much muscle mass? Is there a way to determine this? Fitnesspals suggested me to eat 1750 calories, is that too little? This is my first time "cutting", are there ways to do it right? Sorry if this is posted in the wrong section!
Idk if this would help but
Weight: 84kg
height : 176-178cm

Replies

• IsaackGMOON
    IsaackGMOON Posts: 3,358 Member
    Options
    Would be pretty helpful if you gave us your TDEE.
  • JoshLibby
    JoshLibby Posts: 214 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Sounds about right, it really depends on your age, activity level and things like that. Activity level is often over or under exaggerated. Where you're 21 you should have huge amounts of testosterone, making it a lot easier for you to gain muscle and burn fat. Just make sure your protein is high enough so you have enough to keep building muscle while still hitting "heavy" weights. Don't neglect the weights and start doing huge amounts of cardio or you will burn muscle because you're at a caloric deficit, some cardio but don't go crazy! You can mess around with the percentages in your goal setting. Usually people who are cutting will lower carbs and sugar intake since the goal is not to spike insulin which make people gain fat stores. Just remember the slower the better. You don't want to be losing 2 pounds or week or something crazy like that. I'd suggest a half pound to 1 pound at the most. half pound is the best in my opinion. I like steady increases and decreases. Everyone will have their own opinion, if this is your first cutt and bulk you will learn a lot. Everyone's body is different! Good luck to you! Get plenty of recovery time, and decrease most stress you will be fine!
  • kindrabbit
    kindrabbit Posts: 837 Member
    Options
    JoshLibby wrote: »
    Sounds about right, it really depends on your age, activity level and things like that. Activity level is often over or under exaggerated. Where you're 21 you should have huge amounts of testosterone, making it a lot easier for you to gain muscle and burn fat. Just make sure your protein is high enough so you have enough to keep building muscle while still hitting "heavy" weights. Don't neglect the weights and start doing huge amounts of cardio or you will burn muscle because you're at a caloric deficit, some cardio but don't go crazy! You can mess around with the percentages in your goal setting. Usually people who are cutting will lower carbs and sugar intake since the goal is not to spike insulin which make people gain fat stores. Just remember the slower the better. You don't want to be losing 2 pounds or week or something crazy like that. I'd suggest a half pound to 1 pound at the most. half pound is the best in my opinion. I like steady increases and decreases. Everyone will have their own opinion, if this is your first cutt and bulk you will learn a lot. Everyone's body is different! Good luck to you! Get plenty of recovery time, and decrease most stress you will be fine!

Agree. A small deficit of 250 or so. Monitor and adjust as necessary. Keep up a hypertrophy routine plus small amount of cardio (hiit) and watch your macros. Don't rush it. Enjoy
  • bdommyb
    Options
    My TDEE is apparently 2564 (according to the mifflin st jeor formula calculator) and thanks for replying guys! :)
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    bdommyb wrote: »
    My TDEE is apparently 2564 (according to the mifflin st jeor formula calculator) and thanks for replying guys! :)

If that's the case then to cut take off 10 - 15%
  • charlesmauch
    charlesmauch Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Even with a large calorie deficit, if you keep your protein intake high (at least above 1 to 1.25g/lb of lean mass) and lift heavy you probably won't loose much muscle if any. I've run with a 20 to 25% deficit with no problems. I only run into health problems when I let my overall calorie intake edge close to or under BMR. (Mood starts to suck, fatigue, extreme recovery issues, etc)

After a few weeks expect to loose some reps and you won't be able to handle the same amount of volume. Just keep the weight up. I find that as I get leaner and keep up a large deficit, I'm less able to handle longer workout sessions. Keep an eye on recovery and your stress levels and adjust you workouts/diet as needed.
  • slideaway1
    slideaway1 Posts: 1,006 Member
    Options
    Even with a large calorie deficit, if you keep your protein intake high (at least above 1 to 1.25g/lb of lean mass) and lift heavy you probably won't loose much muscle if any. I've run with a 20 to 25% deficit with no problems. I only run into health problems when I let my overall calorie intake edge close to or under BMR. (Mood starts to suck, fatigue, extreme recovery issues, etc)

After a few weeks expect to loose some reps and you won't be able to handle the same amount of volume. Just keep the weight up. I find that as I get leaner and keep up a large deficit, I'm less able to handle longer workout sessions. Keep an eye on recovery and your stress levels and adjust you workouts/diet as needed.

Cheers for this mate. This was kind of what I was expecting if ever I was to cut, but it's nice to hear it confirmed from someone's experience.
  • bdommyb
    Options
    Thanks for all the help! How long do you guys suggest I cut for?
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    bdommyb wrote: »
    Thanks for all the help! How long do you guys suggest I cut for?

Till you get to your desired leanness
  • lukepukenichols
    lukepukenichols Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    The best way to do this is to drop your calories gradually...this is to prevent your metabolism slowing down (we have evolved to do this to conserve energy when food is scarce. Good for survival...bad for lean gains.) A good amount to cut out is 60 calories every other week, 1 gram of fat has 9 calories and 1 gram of carbs has 4 calories so it's up to you what you want to cut down but obviously keep protein the same. Regularly check your body fat percentage and overall weight, if you don't see the improvements you want then don't be afraid to cut down more/more regularly but don't cut down drastically...everybody is different so your fitness development is very much a constant experiment.

Also don't be fooled into believing that by cutting down on fat is going to get rid of body fat faster...it's actually vital in your body's ability to metabolise protein.

Also try and add at least one HIIT (high intensity interval training) and one LIST (Low intensity steady state) session into your weekly workout plan...however you don't want to do this directly after your weight training session as this will put your body into a catabolic state (destroys muscle for energy)

And one more thing...consuming protein every 3-4 hours will greatly decrease/prevent muscle loss...so eat small and regularly.