I'm hungry. How am I meant to continue this?

Options
I'm not used to being hungry. And I'm gettingmore Hungry as the days go on. Not been two weeks yet. How do I keep this up? Its 1200 calories if I'm aiming for 1lb loss a week and 1350 if it's half a pound.
I can't exercise as I can rarely stand up due to an ongoing illness that us in a severe form and I don't have the strength to sit up long either (using phone in bed). I don't want to make myself more ill.

Replies

• jenniferzlangkjaer
    jenniferzlangkjaer Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I am trying a keto/atkins type thing with really low carbs and lots of fat, moderate protein. I eat every 2-3 hours and it keeps me feeling full all day. If you have an illness, you need to check with your doc before trying this! I am fairly healthy, so just playing around with it to see what happens.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    stargirl85 wrote: »
    I'm not used to being hungry. And I'm gettingmore Hungry as the days go on. Not been two weeks yet. How do I keep this up? Its 1200 calories if I'm aiming for 1lb loss a week and 1350 if it's half a pound.
    I can't exercise as I can rarely stand up due to an ongoing illness that us in a severe form and I don't have the strength to sit up long either (using phone in bed). I don't want to make myself more ill.

There's nothing wrong with feeling hunger. We've been conditioned to think that we should be satisfied at all times. If you're in a deficit you're likely to feel hungry. You can make food choices to help - get your carbs from lots and lots of non-starchy vegies and lower carb fruits, you'll get lots of volume and fibre. Make sure you have sufficient protein and fat - both will help with satiety.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    is it hunger or appetite?

18lbs to lose perhaps changing to 1/2lb is more appropriate for you.

Eat food that is more satisfying such as high protein, higher fat foods.
  • Curtruns
    Curtruns Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    and drink more water
  • hutchin88
    hutchin88 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Are you getting enough protein? Cut back on starches and substitute green veggies. 4oz. of lean protein and lots of green veggies and a small amount if fat and carbs at each meal should help with hunger. Having a balance makes a difference. I used the zone diet to lose 50 lbs and was rarely hungry. For me it really worked.

Junk food and other refined carbs trigger hunger. Good luck to you!
  • GuineaKitty
    GuineaKitty Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    To help with hunger pangs sometimes I suck and eat frozen grapes and cherries. Also jerky because it'll make me feel full and take a while to chew. But sometimes you still gonna feel hungry until your body used to less food intake.

• MrsPrior
    MrsPrior Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    It's OK, and perfectly normal to be hungry, we don't need to be full up all the time. Being hungry, and identifying the feeling of hunger is actually a positive step, as once you know what it feels like to be actually hungry (as opposed to bored, thirsty, craving something or eating to manage emotions), you'll be better able to manage food in the future by knowing when to eat and when you don't need to.

That being said, what you eat will make a difference to how you feel - if your 1200 calories are spent on low-fibre, low-protein, nutrient-light foods with unhealthy fats, you will feel hungry and you will get cravings for things as your body needs a balance of macro- and micro- nutrients to operate.
    If your 1200 calories are spent on high-fibre, high-protein, nutrient-dense foods and a good amount of healthy fats (e.g. omegas from oily fish, or avocado/walnuts), you will feel fuller for longer, your gut will send messages to your brain to tell it you've had enough, and you are less likely to have cravings as your body will be well nourished.

Its important to be aware that when you start the process of losing weight your body undergoes certain hormonal changes, one of the most important being leptin - leptin is released by your fat cells to reduce your appetite when your body knows it has enough energy. When you start to lose these fat cells because you're losing weight, you also experience a dip in the amount of leptin in your blood, so as you lose fat you start to feel hungrier - but this is only temporary! Once your body adjusts to the new leptin levels in your blood you will feel less hungry over time. So, as long as you eat enough of the right things to nourish your body, this will pass!
  • sarahdayski
    sarahdayski Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I felt like that the first few weeks but to be honest a few weeks on and i dont feel hungry very often. It takes a while for your body to get used to doing anything new. You may need to find something to occupy yourself, if you are not very mobile it is easy to start eating out of boredom. I sometimes find some sugar free sweets can help me get thru a tricky patch
  • fatcity66
    fatcity66 Posts: 1,544 Member
    Options
    Up your protein, fat, and fiber. They will help you feel full.
    And it does get better with time, at least, it did for me.
  • shadowfax_c11
    shadowfax_c11 Posts: 1,942 Member
    Options
    In my first couple of weeks I felt like my stomach was going to gnaw its way out and get the food itself. I was really hungry a lot. One thing that helped was to break up my meals into more frequent and smaller portions. Allowing for a snack that had a lot of protein and some fat seemed to really help.

A hard boiled egg, an ounce of cheese or a small portion of almonds can be a good way to ward off the hungries. Also pickles! Pickles are really low in calories so you can eat a substantial portion and they have the salty/crunchy munching on potato chips sort of mental reward.

It does get easier in time.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options

1200 can be a hard level to start out at. I would switch to 1350 calories for now. As you lose weight, you might gradually lower your calories to 1200.

Protein, fats and fiber can help you feel full.
    Drink water or chew gum if you feel hungry and wait 20 minutes to an hour to see if the feeling passes.

• ElJefeChief
    ElJefeChief Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    I would emphasize, DON'T FORGET TO DRINK WATER. Another trick I've used is I have some psyllium fiber capsules that I take after a small meal. I take 2-3 of them then chug a ton of water with it, on top of a small protein based meal. I find the hunger pangs are pretty darn minimal.

Generally, lots of fiber, emphasizing protein, constant hydration - all of these are your friends.
  • stargirl85
    stargirl85 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    @jenniferzlangkjaer
    I'm not sure I'll try that as it's really hard to get a Dr's apptmt and I think she'd say no. I think you don' ewant fruit or veg to start with with that do you? I'm not an expert tho.i just want to make the most of nice fruit at this time of yr.

I seem to be going over the recommended fat and sugar tho a bit lower on protein.

@Curtruns
    Drink more water?! Looks like I already have 10cups a day and I'm only 5ft3 so this isn't a problem but thanks.

@livingleanlivingclean @hutchin88 @MrsPrior
    I seem to be going over the recommended fat and sugar.
    Im a bit low on starches but protein too. Mostly what stands out is iron which is low unfortunately. Im borderline anaemic and before that I was anaemic on and off for many years. My stomach (ibs) can't cope well with red meat and I shouldn't be eating more sugar (dried fruit). Im having broccoli and spinach but not enough to make a difference. I only get about 8% of whats recommended on here although I often get about 400% recommended via a and 200% vit c. So I get nutrients, also a good amount of fibre.

I am not used to feeling hungry, in fact the opposite. I used to feel full all the time and hated that I had to eat a meal (part IBS for so long, and for a few yrs I ate so much at night like sugar,few reasons, one was a med, tiredness etc but I've been so much better with the sugar.)

@MrsPrior @shadowfax_c11
    Thank you. Unfortunately it seems like everything I eat is going to almost send me over the recommended calorie amount. Like I'm having monkey nuts but the calories r shocking if I'm right on what they contain, same with avocado. Im having small pieces of omelette that has all sorts of veg in too.

I don't really fancy pickles but thank you

I didn't know about the leptin.

Thank you for all your tips

If anyone wants to comment on what I'm eating or what I've said here I'm very happy to hear that.

• MoiAussi93
    MoiAussi93 Posts: 1,948 Member
    Options
    You say you're low on protein and going over on sugar. That is a bad combination and very likely to make you hungry. Protein will keep you full. Sugar will not.

You don't need to eat red meat if you don't tolerate that well. You can have more chicken, eggs, fish, greek yogurt (don't get the flavored kind...lots of sugar in it...sweeten with fruit if you need flavor). Nuts are great, just be careful with quantity since they are high in calories.

Otherwise...you should eat more non starchy vegetables. They are very low calories and the fiber will help keep you feeling full. Fruits are fine in moderation, but have many more calories so you can't eat them in unlimited quantities and expect to lose weight. Some fruits have much more fiber and less sugar compared to others...berries are a great example. Take this into consideration.
  • stargirl85
    Options
    Well I have 2portions of fruit a day and some veg. One of them being strawberries so that sounds good!
    By non starchy veg is that anything other than potatoes?
    Well I'm not extra low on protein. Sometimes it's the right amount and sometimes it's a bit less. The fat seems to be a bit higher than it should be BUT a fair amount is unsaturated like nuts avocado. Oh 1egg seems to take up a lot of the rec. Fat allowance. And I gave a bit of ham in the omelette with the veg in so that's a bit of protein.

I honestly think those of you who say 'that's what's to be expected as ur in deficit' and it's not a major thing to be worried about are probably right. Im new to this. Just somehow need to up the protein without the fat except many things with protein in have fat in too!

I have cut down on the amount of sugar I ate A LOT. I do still have Greek yoghurt with honey so mayb I need to get the unsweetened one. And raisins are in my cereal (not many) when I have one.
  • Fitnessflexibility
    Fitnessflexibility Posts: 795 Member
    Options
    If your hungry drink water and then have a rice cake or celery. Sometimes after the water I don't want the rice cake or celery, I want a banana or cup cake haha that tells me that if I were honestly hungry that I would eat anything to fill me up instead of just craving food. Also I found drinking green tea instead of a snack helps too. Don't skip meals and be sure you are getting all your body needs.
  • blankiefinder
    blankiefinder Posts: 3,599 Member
    Options
    You can make weight loss easier by choosing the right foods to fit your calorie limit. Not sure what you can eat with your IBS, but you need to choose foods that provide volume without so many calories, with such a low daily limit. Substitute in riced cauliflower for regular rice to save hundreds of calories. Eat fresh berries instead of dried fruit. Eat lean proteins like chicken, without sauces. What can you eat / what can't you eat?
  • funchords
    funchords Posts: 413 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options

Let's start with IT'S OKAY! Losing weight is sometimes a multi-step process. Spend a couple of weeks at each step and move ahead when you feel ready.
    1. Stop gaining weight. Go from whatever excess that you were eating to your maintenance calories. Get used to logging and controlling your intake
    2. Start losing weight, eat to lose 0.5 lbs. per week.
    3. Now lose weight faster, eat to lose 1 lb. per week.

Go ahead and take your time. 1200 calories is a small number ... it's a difficult goal, start with a more achievable goal and then work toward the 1200 slowly. You can do it -- we all eventually can make it to our goal.

Our biggest risk is quitting. We "play chicken" with our willpower and we give up. Don't risk that -- make it easy on yourself to be successful.
  • Ang108
    Ang108 Posts: 1,711 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options

With time you have to figure out if what you feel is real hunger or psychological hunger.
    When I started out I was also hungry ( not ravenous, but sometimes hungry ) for a couple of weeks. I am also eating 1200 calories and since I had gotten used to eating a lot of rice & pasta ( while otherwise eating a natural healthy diet ) I felt deprived.
    I spoke to my doctor and he told me that for a person like I ( 68 and under five feet tall) 1200 calories plus the deficit should be enough. I ate about a month just under maintenance to get used to eating about 1000 calories less and then went back to 1200 calories and had no more hunger problems.
    My problem was that I easily ate rice two or three times a day, eating two or more portions, which kept my need for simple carbs alive and caused quite some weight gain due to too many calories. I also overate on pasta and home backed bread ( all natural, but all much to often in portions for a small family ).
    Hunger pangs and cravings have disappeared since then ( April 2013) and I now can eat a normal portion of rice or even less without any problems and without being triggered.
    Good Luck !

• stargirl85
    Options
    Thank you. It does look like I'm doing the right things with most things I eat. I do sometimes miss meals tho cos my sleep pattern is a bit bodged and I can't eat so I just eat when I can. Im still surprised what people are suggesting though as I can't eat anymore within my limit-unless I stabilise or up to half a pound loss a week again. I do seem to generally eat more late evenings though. That is when I have more energy from m.e in general so I do things then.

Should try to remember the cauliflower thing... You grate it?

My IBS =no spices mostly, minimal red meat, I'm gradually eating more wheat and cheese-well I was til I saw the calories in cheese, I do eat some dairy but minimal cheese. Still very minimal wheat. No fizzy drinks or coffee. Basically, plain food. Often it just plays up with no obvious trigger though. But no chilis or peppers!

I don't weigh myself much as I can't get to bathroom much and I would want it to be the same time of day so it's fairly accurate but I'm often ubrouseable at a given time so I don't know when I've weighed myself or how quickly I've put on weight. I think it was 2011-2015 2.5stone or 5inches on my hips and waist. (think I've lost some of what I put on my chest sadly as it's v small although this didn't show on the scales)