squats

Options
Vodkha
Vodkha Posts: 352 Member
I can't squat. I try. I watch videos. It just feels awkward and it doesn't hit the areas it should. Are there just some people out there that just aren't built to be able to squat properly? I do legs on machines at the gym now but my lower body is what needs the most work and I know squats are very effective for that and that I should be doing them. Should I hire a personal training to train me in squats, deadlifts and lunges properly? Has anyone else had this issue? It is frustrating!!

Replies

• ElizabethKalmbach
    ElizabethKalmbach Posts: 1,416 Member
    Options
    There is a huge difference in squatting just body weight and squatting with a bar - it shifts your center of gravity a bit and will make balance DIFFERENT. Maybe easier or harder.

What kind of squat are you talking about and what do you mean by "can't?" Is it your balance? Your range of motion? The weight?
  • suelegal
    suelegal Posts: 1,282 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    When you say you can't what do you mean exactly? Awkwardness doesn't translate to can't. If you can't squat with the barbell, use dumbells - try goblet squats and build up your weight slowly. Box squats can help you as well. I think a trainer is always helpful if you're new to lifting and unsure of your form.
  • Vodkha
    Options
    Well, I feel like I lean forward too much. I more lean forward when pushing up from my heels than I do just pushing myself UP, if that makes any sense?
  • ElizabethKalmbach
    ElizabethKalmbach Posts: 1,416 Member
    Options
    I have to lean forward a lot with no bar, because my upper body weight alone is not enough to offset my legs for balance. With a bar, I do not need to lean forward as much, because the weight of the bar is enough to balance the weight of my lower body. The point being that what I do for each type of squat is DIFFERENT, but not necessarily WRONG. They are supposed to feel different, because what you're actually DOING is different. How does your BALANCE feel?
  • Vodkha
    Options
    I feel off balance. I feel like my lower is too heavy maybe for my legs to lift so I struggle and fall forward.
  • Willbenchforcupcakes
    Willbenchforcupcakes Posts: 4,955 Member
    Options
    I have to lean forward a lot with no bar, because my upper body weight alone is not enough to offset my legs for balance. With a bar, I do not need to lean forward as much, because the weight of the bar is enough to balance the weight of my lower body. The point being that what I do for each type of squat is DIFFERENT, but not necessarily WRONG. They are supposed to feel different, because what you're actually DOING is different. How does your BALANCE feel?

This completely - the heavier the weight on the bar the better my balance is. My bodyweight squat is decent, but my form doesn't really get good until I have at least 60kg on the bar.
  • JrChamberlain
    JrChamberlain Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    What could really help is try doing it bare foot. That makes sure your heel is not already higher than your toes which causes you to fall forward. I would start with focusing on form before how low you go. I had to start by focusing on keeping my chest up and my butt back with all weight on my heels. After I got the form down I started going lower and deeper into the squat. I train cross fit and if I forget my cross fit shoes at home I do my squats and lifts barefoot
  • kwtilbury
    kwtilbury Posts: 1,234 Member
    Options
    What could really help is try doing it bare foot. That makes sure your heel is not already higher than your toes which causes you to fall forward. I would start with focusing on form before how low you go. I had to start by focusing on keeping my chest up and my butt back with all weight on my heels. After I got the form down I started going lower and deeper into the squat. I train cross fit and if I forget my cross fit shoes at home I do my squats and lifts barefoot

Or, if your gym won't allow you to train barefoot, a zero-drop shoe will do. I'm getting ready to hit the gym and do some squats in my Chuck Taylors.
  • hotpoison
    hotpoison Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    You can try squatting facing a wall then you won't be able to put your knees to forward as you'll hit the wall try it at home with no weights till you get your form right :)
  • Vodkha
    Options
    hotpoison wrote: »
    You can try squatting facing a wall then you won't be able to put your knees to forward as you'll hit the wall try it at home with no weights till you get your form right :)

Thanks! Good idea, I will try this. My lower body so desperately needs free weight work as I only do machine weights and treadmill intervals at the moment.
  • Walter__
    Walter__ Posts: 518 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    It feels awkward because your form is wrong.

If you can find a good trainer then that would be great. The problem is most trainers are bad and don't know how to correctly perform the big lifts.

The three key elements with squats is learning to keep your spine neutral, bracing your core, and maintaining balance. It's impossible to have bad form if you do these.

A neutral spine and braced core go hand in hand, watch this video to learn how it's done https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VcY3YSW9vX4

Once you learn the feeling of a neutral spine and strong core, you can start squatting. Squat so that you maintain your balance. You can adjust your foot width and back angle to whatever feels best for you, so long as your back is strong and neutral at all times.

Edit: I also forgot to mention shoes. You need a stable base to start from, meaning cushioned shoes like running shoes are not ideal. They compress and your feet end up wobbling side to side, which makes you unstable. Try squatting in some flat shoes with no cushion, or even barefoot.