How long does water retention last?

So, basically, I've been on my weight loss journey for roughly 9 months and I've lost 90 pounds, with only about 20 more to go. I'm used to hitting stalls in weight loss and then experiencing the 'whoosh' at least once a month, so it's never really bothered me before when my weight stays the same or goes up a little for a few weeks.

However, this past month my weight stalled at 166 for a couple weeks, but Id been expecting this so I didn't think anything of it until two days ago when I had a sudden MASSIVE spike in weight. I went from 166 to 173 in a matter of two days. I have never seen a spike in water weight like this in all the time I've been trying to lose weight, even during 'that time of the month.'

I've been doing all I can to think logically about this because I know I haven't been over eating. I've logging and weighing all my food consistently and accurately and there's no way I could've over eaten to the point that it'd justify a 7 pound weight gain. I haven't even really done anything particularly new or vigorous when it comes to exercise.

It's going on the 3rd day now and the weight isn't coming back off like it normally does. I'm just wondering if anyone has any experience with something like this and how long I should expect this to last? It's starting to get kind of discouraging.

Replies

• missiontofitness
    missiontofitness Posts: 4,074 Member
    If you've consumed more sodium than usual lately, up your water intake. There's no set time when it comes back down; it will when it does. Since you know that you definitely didn't eat 24,500 calories over maintenance in two days, don't get discouraged by the number.
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,658 Member
    It takes four days or more to flush out the water weight after I have Mexican food, with the accompanying carb and sodium overload in the chips.
  • folgers86
    folgers86 Posts: 84 Member
    While I haven't lost 90 lbs (congrats!), I did experience a big weight jump a few months into my diet. It hung on for a few weeks overall though I never noticed any changes in bathroom habits so I have no idea if it was water weight (I assume) or what. For the most part I just treated it like any other day with a new number on the scale as long as that number didn't continue to climb. I did bump up my workout duration, though. However, weight loss does change as your overall scale number goes down and your metabolism does try to adjust for the fewer calories. At 90 lbs lost you're probably aware of this, though :)
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    It really depends on what is causing the water retention. I have found that, for me, a higher than normal sodium day means a day or two for it to go away. A higher than normal carb day takes about 4 days. Then there is the weather. I retain water when it gets hot out and it may last a week or two until the weather changes and cools down, or at least the humidity drops.
  • BWBTrish
    BWBTrish Posts: 2,817 Member
    95 pound lost
    20 to go
    And current weight 165 pounds

And i have the same thing :) no worries it will go. Sometimes it takes a week sometimes 2 days. Nothing you can do about it. Just go on girl... you get there!
    I had 3 days were i gained 10 pounds almost and ate only around 1200 to 1500 calories for sure. But went out for breakfast and dinner and i am normally salt less! ( families visits so we went out :) ). It took me a week to lose it. But it did .

Just take a deep breath and go for it!
  • pinkshoelaces
    pinkshoelaces Posts: 111 Member
    If you've consumed more sodium than usual lately, up your water intake. There's no set time when it comes back down; it will when it does. Since you know that you definitely didn't eat 24,500 calories over maintenance in two days, don't get discouraged by the number.

You're right, I know I shouldn't let the number get to me but I guess since this a fairly new experience for me, it's hard not to let it discourage me a little. I'll try to be patient, haha. As for my sodium, it's stayed about the same as always, so I'm not really sure what's going on.
  • pinkshoelaces

95 pound lost
    20 to go
    And current weight 165 pounds

And i have the same thing :) no worries it will go. Sometimes it takes a week sometimes 2 days. Nothing you can do about it. Just go on girl... you get there!
    I had 3 days were i gained 10 pounds almost and ate only around 1200 to 1500 calories for sure. But went out for breakfast and dinner and i am normally salt less! ( families visits so we went out :) ). It took me a week to lose it. But it did .

Just take a deep breath and go for it!

Thanks so much. I'm glad to hear someone went through something similar and it eventually came off. Especially someone who has similar stats as me. Also, congratulations on your weight loss! That's amazing.
  • BWBTrish
    yvw :)
    I dont know how tall you are
    I am 5.5

But yes the weight and weight loss is about the same

I went from losing a hugeeee amount in the first months ( i had a lot of water medical condition) to a normal weight loss now. With sometimes 2 weeks nothing and than hops 3 pounds in one week
    I am set to 1 pound still ( which will change soon to a half pound) and in the end of the month i still lost my 4 pounds ( fluctuation because of holding water or not) So it equals out.
    I dont have much fluctuations btw. Only when i eat out. So i know it happens lol
    Don't have a problem with it, it will come off again :)
  • pinkshoelaces
    yvw :)
    I dont know how tall you are
    I am 5.5

But yes the weight and weight loss is about the same

I went from losing a hugeeee amount in the first months ( i had a lot of water medical condition) to a normal weight loss now. With sometimes 2 weeks nothing and than hops 3 pounds in one week
    I am set to 1 pound still ( which will change soon to a half pound) and in the end of the month i still lost my 4 pounds ( fluctuation because of holding water or not) So it equals out.
    I dont have much fluctuations btw. Only when i eat out. So i know it happens lol
    Don't have a problem with it, it will come off again :)

Well Im 5'8 but yeah our weight and weight loss and goal weight are about the same haha. Yeah and I normally dont experience fluctuations to a significant degree. Normally Ill go up and down by a pound or two, so 7 pounds was quite alarming for me. I just need to relax and be patient and keep on doing what Im doing. Thanks so much for the encouragement.
  • BWBTrish
    :)
  • scr183
    scr183 Posts: 49 Member
    As @earlnabby said, hot and humid weather can definitely make me retain more than I normally would even if all else in my routine is essentially the same. Take a deep breath, make sure you're staying well-hydrated, and keep on keeping on. If you're down 90 pounds (congrats!), you're clearly doing something right. ;)
  • Widadita
    Widadita Posts: 176 Member
    Drink horsetail tea everyday, it helps with the water retention.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    My average to lose water weight is 10-14 days. Start of May, I had a 3# gain (not TOM either) and it took 6 weeks to drop it. It's a PITA mentally, but if you know you're logging is on and sodium is good, it's just something to ride out.
  • pinkshoelaces
    scr183 wrote: »
    As @earlnabby said, hot and humid weather can definitely make me retain more than I normally would even if all else in my routine is essentially the same. Take a deep breath, make sure you're staying well-hydrated, and keep on keeping on. If you're down 90 pounds (congrats!), you're clearly doing something right. ;)

Thanks, that could possibly be it. I didn't really consider the weather change at all, coz Id never really paid attention to my weight until this year so obviously I wouldn't have noticed weight fluctuations during the seasons. Thank you so much!
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    I think mine last's forever. Oh wait, that's because I never really stop with the sodium.
    Seriously, drink lot's of water to offset it. Also, WTG on your fantastic work!
  • musicandarts
    musicandarts Posts: 187 Member
    edited June 2015
    Is water retention a real thing, or pseudo-science? I was under the impression that our bodies control how much water it retains, unless you have renal problems. Where is it retained?
  • BWBTrish
    Is water retention a real thing, or pseudo-science? I was under the impression that our bodies control how much water it retains, unless you have renal problems. Where is it retained?

lol my ankles i can even feel it when i do hold water.

• pinkshoelaces

Muscles, empty fat cells, body tissue, etc.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Mine lasts kind of for always because I'm constantly lifting heavy things and shoveling salt into my mouth.

But those spikes, yeah. Mine will start creeping up around ovulation and won't go back down until well after my period.
  • yellowantphil
    yellowantphil Posts: 787 Member
    edited June 2015

Your body tries to balance your sodium levels. If you eat a lot of sodium, you retain more water next time you drink anything, until the sodium levels drop again. I knew a guy in high school who ate a whole bag of potato chips once, along with plenty of water. The next morning, he couldn’t bend his fingers because he was retaining so much water. I don’t recommend trying to reproduce this experiment. :o

If you take creatine regularly, that makes you retain a few extra pounds of water in your muscles.

If you eat a lot of carbs, you will store extra glycogen in your muscles, and apparently retain some water along with it, according to some random website.