Whats IF and 16:8 ??

Options
Just see a lot people talking about 16:8 and IF diet ? What is it please anyone know ?? Thanks

Replies

• jessicajules
    jessicajules Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Intermittent fasting. 16 hours of fasting, with an 8 hour window of eating.
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Intermittent fasting

There are various types and 16:8 is one. If my memory is correct, it stands for 16 hr fast and 8 hr window to eat. I could be wrong though and I'm sure someone will correct me if I am.

There is also 5:2. 5 days at maintenance level calories and 2 days at an extreme deficit.
  • barbecuesauce
    barbecuesauce Posts: 1,771 Member
    Options
    Intermittent fasting. 16 hours of fasting, with an 8 hour window of eating.

Yep. There are other forms of IF besides this one, but none of them are really a "diet"--I find it easier to keep in a deficit when I limit eating to an 8-hour window, but I've certainly not had a hard time going over my calorie limit in that window either.
  • phuonguk
    phuonguk Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    So that mean u not eat for 16 hours then alow eat in next 8 hours ? Thanks
  • barbecuesauce
    Options
    phuonguk wrote: »

Yeah. I eat between 2 pm and 10 pm. Coffee only in the AM. (I have heard some people claim that breaks the fast, but whatever.)
  • jessicajules
    jessicajules Posts: 6 Member
    Options

Yeah. I eat between 2 pm and 10 pm. Coffee only in the AM. (I have heard some people claim that breaks the fast, but whatever.)

I do the same.

I started IF without actually realizing it. I started just listening to my body and it turns out 16/8 IF is how I function the best!
  • barbecuesauce
    Options

I do the same.

I started IF without actually realizing it. I started just listening to my body and it turns out 16/8 IF is how I function the best!

Pretty much. Who knows how many pounds I helped put on trying to eat a healthy breakfast? Even as a kid, I could do without breakfast and liked a late lunch.
  • Cheri1218
    Cheri1218 Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    Like a previous post states, it's not really a "diet" but just the time frame for eating you daily allotted calories. I like it because I feel like my lunch and dinner are more substantial and I don't miss breakfast. I drink a diet soda in the morning since I don't like coffee. I find it easier to stay on target for the day, but the target is still the same.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    So technically having coffee with cream breaks the fast? If that's all it was, could it still be beneficial?
  • californiagirl2012
    californiagirl2012 Posts: 2,625 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    People mistake intermittent fasting with the daily fasting.

A daily fast is simply extending the nightly fast by either having dinner earlier and no eating until breakfast the next day, and possibly delaying breakfast as well. It's just the fasting window between dinner and breakfast with usually half that time sleeping. This shortens the "eating window" which merely helps you manage a calorie budget. And then doing this every day, thus it's a "daily" fasting plan.

But there have been shown to be hormone benefits to doing this, contrary to all the diet myths we've been fed for so long.

Intermittent fasting is truly intermittent as in only one day a week, maybe two. So it would be normal eating all week, possibly a slight deficit but not much then one day you stop eating the rest of the day until the same time the next day. This period of not eating can be 15-24 hours or so.

Again studies have shown that there hormone benefits to this. I work for several fitness companies and one of my bosses, Brad Pilon, went to school and wrote a research paper on Intermittent Fasting with all the theory backed by research. You can read about the various fasting styles here http://www.leangains.com/ Martin Berkhan also endorses my bosses paper. I do not work for Martin and have nothing to gain by anyone viewing his website.

Roberta
  • californiagirl2012
    californiagirl2012 Posts: 2,625 Member
    Options
    So technically having coffee with cream breaks the fast? If that's all it was, could it still be beneficial?

Technically anything under 50 calories does not break the fast. So it depends on the amount of cream.