Runners: Transition from C25K to One Hour Runner

Options
Hello Runners!

I am one day away from doing my 30 minute run and finishing C25K. I want to keep running and making progress, while absolutely minimizing my chance of injury. At this time, I don't have plans to run a race, and I'm running very slowly (about a 12 minute mile), so I won't actually hit 5k in 30 minutes.

I've been reading about what to do next, and it seems that I should focus not on speed but on slowly adding time and distance to build a good base. That works for me. And I think I want to follow the One Hour Runner program next.

How long should I wait before I start that program? One Hour Runner assumes that you are running 30 minutes three times a week when you start, and for the first three weeks that's what you do. Then it begins adding slowly adding time so that by the end of the program, you are doing one 60 minute run per week, plus one 30 minute and one 40 minute run. That sounds good, but I'm not sure whether it is a good idea (for avoiding injury) to wait a few weeks--while running 30 minutes 3x per week--before starting the One Hour Runner Program. Or will the three weeks of 30 minute runs 3x per week that's built into the program be enough to prepare my body to start increasing distance?

Thank you for your advice.

Replies

• Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    personally, i'm not super motivated to be going on long runs unless i've got a race down the line.

yes, for the most part people will tell you to extend your long run little by little before building speed. because while you are building endurance, you will also be gaining some speed in the shorter distances.

i think there might also be a C210k plan that might benefit you.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    Find a 10k program, that'll get you there.
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
  • arachnofobia7
    arachnofobia7 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I'm eight months into running and I've managed to get up to 15k with no plan or whatsoever. Just kept adding extra time or mile here and there. I'm also rather slow runner, but I doesn't bother me. I aim at long runs on Sundays, during the week I adjust it accordingly to how I feel. However, if you need some structure I believe that any plan that's available free on the internet will help you to build the distance. I've just set out for HM training with a random 12weeks schedule. Have fun:}
  • amyrichard34
    amyrichard34 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I second the Hal Higdon plan. I'm in week 6 of the 5-10km novice program. gradual increase in distance while keeping focused on strength and stretching to supplement. I'm very prone to injury with long runs, but so far, so good, with thus program.
  • annekka
    annekka Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    I've only been running about 2 months and I've progressed from 5k to 1.5 hour runs (longest run yet 12.5km or just under 8 miles, I'm still slow). However, I did have a solid cardio base going in. Take it slow and add on a little bit to your run every week. Long runs still take a lot out of me, but it's also summer here, so I'm hoping that gets better. You can do it. If you can run 5k, you can do a 10k.
  • gdyment
    gdyment Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    Frequency actually makes you less likely to get injured (as long as the increase is steady and not over a week or two). Honestly if you can run 4-5 times a week, at whatever pace you're comfortable with, you'll see some pretty interesting changes in your comfortable pace, and composition changes as well. Building up to an hour long run once a week is a good goal if you have another several shorter runs in the week to go along with it.
  • hypotrochoid
    hypotrochoid Posts: 842 Member
    Options
    10k runner is a great little app that takes you to an hour of running.
  • pmur
    pmur Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    I'm a fairly new runner too. Just 18 months into it. I used Hal Higdon's novice 10k plan after the couch to 5k. I continued doing 3 runs a week for three weeks before realising I need something to motivate me. Hal's plan worked for me.
    Also, do sign up for the race. Even if you are slow, races keep you motivated. 12 mins miles aren't all that slow. People walk 5ks and 10ks all the time. You should be fine.
    My first 5k I ran it around the 12 mins pace. I picked up pace after increasing weekly miles based on hal's various plans. After the 5k I immediately signed up for a 10k so I had to work on a plan. Right after a half marathon. Now I run half marathons every three months and maybe a 5k or 10k here and there if it is a good race. That first 5k, I ran the race again this year. Shaved off a good 5 mins from my last year's finish time. It definitely gave me a huge head rush!
  • demoiselle2014
    demoiselle2014 Posts: 474 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Thanks for all the tips! I will definitely check out Hal Higdon's plan and compare it with One Hour Runner. I had read that Bridge to 10K moves to fast and leaves newer runners prone to injury.

I want to be super cautious as I go forward so that I don't cause any harm to myself. I had a bit of knee tenderness for the first time yesterday, and I'm looking into whether it might have been caused by my shoes. If not, I may have to find some places to run in NYC that are not on concrete (where!?) and yet still safe.
  • msf74
    msf74 Posts: 3,498 Member
    Options

How long should I wait before I start that program? One Hour Runner assumes that you are running 30 minutes three times a week when you start, and for the first three weeks that's what you do.

I don't see why you couldn't just start straight away.

Keep the intensity low (so run at a conversational pace) and you should be fine given the progression outlined.

• demoiselle2014
    Options
    msf74 wrote: »

How long should I wait before I start that program? One Hour Runner assumes that you are running 30 minutes three times a week when you start, and for the first three weeks that's what you do.

I don't see why you couldn't just start straight away.

Keep the intensity low (so run at a conversational pace) and you should be fine given the progression outlined.

That sounds doable. I am running at conversational pace (I think, though I don't have anyone to talk to while running). When my 28 minutes ends, I'm not breathless or winded, and could certainly carry on a conversation right away.

• scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    Options
    You can transition right away to your new plan. If you need to you can add occassional walk breaks into a couple of the runs each week until your body catches up. That will not reduce the quality of your training.
  • demoiselle2014
    Options
    It is tempting to add a running day per week. I find that I miss jogging on my walking/rest days.
  • scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    Options
    4 times a week running is nearly ideal. You get a big boost in fitness with little increased injury risk. More than 4 times a week and the injury risk increases faster than the fitness boost.
  • demoiselle2014
    Options
    Thank you for the tip! I definitely want to keep my injury risk very low. I hope to live in this body for a long time to come, and I want it to be as healthy as possible.
  • demoiselle2014
    Options
    Today I finished C25k! I'm so proud of myself!
  • mwyvr
    mwyvr Posts: 1,883 Member
    Options
    Great job!

And now onward!

PS: You mentioned knee tenderness. Be sure you are stretching well; look up ITB or ITBS stretches if you aren't already doing some preventative stretching for that.
  • demoiselle2014
    Options
    I have been doing 20-40 minutes of yoga every day, but perhaps that isn't enough?

I am checking on what might be causing the knee tenderness. I may go back to the running store and have them check my stride. I also wear orthotics, and have realized that I've gotten lazy again about lounging around the house without my shoes on. I really should be wearing them from the time I get up (ugh), so I'm going to do that for a while and see if it clears up. I suspect that is the most likely cause for the tenderness.