Possible to have toned arms in just 6 weeks?

Options
I've posted here before, but I'm back with a question again. Is it possible to slim down and have toned arms in just 6 weeks? So far, I work out twice a week for an hour. School and work is really tiring so it's the best I could do. I'm attending an important event on July 30, and I need to get a better figure.

P.S.
Female, Asian, 18 y/o, 45kg, 5ft 2inch

Replies

• livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    Are you eating in a deficit? Accurately Weighing, measuring and logging all your food? You can't spot reduce, and aiming for drastic weight loss isn't likely to help you retain muscle so it may take longer than 6 weeks to get the arms you want.
  • hopelessmidori
    hopelessmidori Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    @livingleanlivingclean eating 1200 calories a day and I log every food that goes in my mouth. I don't have a food scale though, so I'm not sure.

Hmm... More than 6 weeks?
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    No. It is however both possible and probable to be in the hospital in 6 weeks from exhaustion, considering you are already underweight and trying to lose more weight. "Toned" arms means gaining muscle. Which is not compatible with trying to lose weight from where you are now. You need both more exercise and way more food with a goal of gaining weight.
  • hopelessmidori
    Options
    @aggelikik um, I guess "slim down" is not the right term? Uhh, let's just say I'm trying to gain some muscle. I'm doing cardio and some weight lifting. Not too much though. I just need a proportioned body. People said I'm skinny-fat
  • LKArgh
    Options
    @aggelikik um, I guess "slim down" is not the right term? Uhh, let's just say I'm trying to gain some muscle. I'm doing cardio and some weight lifting. Not too much though. I just need a proportioned body. People said I'm skinny-fat

To have more definition in your arms, you need to accept you will (1) have to exercuse more, as in some serious strenght training (whether it will be body weight, resistance bands, lifting or whatever else, this is up to you) and (2) eat enough to gain muscle, which means eat above maintenance, and accept the scale will go up. Not because you will be getting fatter, but because you will be building muscle. You need both a proper exercise routine and a eating enough.
  • LKArgh
    Options
    Check here:
    http://iifym.com/tdee-calculator/
    You are currently following an aggressive weight loss plan. Whatever muscle you have, it will be soon gone. You need about 1600-1700 calories jsut to maintain your weight. You need to eat at least 1800-2000 calories and add strenght training to gain muscle.
  • hopelessmidori
    Options
    @aggelikik yes I'm willing to do that. I'm thinking of doing it four times a week? If so, can I achieve it on my time goal?
  • markiend
    markiend Posts: 461 Member
    Options

Ignore the haters .. skinny fat is an insult the same as calling somebody fat or skinny

that said , continue what you are doing..exercise wise if you are wanting to see some muscle. You won't get bulky...

grab some scales though to be sure of exactly what you are eating, then go from there once you start to understand macros and calories

good luck

• livingleanlivingclean
    Options
    aggelikik wrote: »
    No. It is however both possible and probable to be in the hospital in 6 weeks from exhaustion, considering you are already underweight and trying to lose more weight. "Toned" arms means gaining muscle. Which is not compatible with trying to lose weight from where you are now. You need both more exercise and way more food with a goal of gaining weight.

I disagree. Toned arms means losing fat to allow the muscle to be more defined. OP, you may need more of recomp to build muscle but maintain your weight, without putting on excess fat.

If you're not weighing and measuring your food, you have no idea what you're actually eating....
  • LKArgh
    Options
    @aggelikik yes I'm willing to do that. I'm thinking of doing it four times a week? If so, can I achieve it on my time goal?

You need to find a proper plan. Figure out what you want to do: gym, lifting, bodyweight? Ask a trainer, google it and start working on it. As a beginner, you will start seeing and feeling progress after a few weeks. But no, you will not look muscular in less than 2 months, no one can do this.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    markiend wrote: »

Ignore the haters .. skinny fat is an insult the same as calling somebody fat or skinny

that said , continue what you are doing..exercise wise if you are wanting to see some muscle. You won't get bulky...

grab some scales though to be sure of exactly what you are eating, then go from there once you start to understand macros and calories

good luck

What the hell? She is 5' 2 with a bodyweight of 45kg which gives her a BMI of 18.1 .. well under underweight with all the health implications that brings - putting on 8.9kg would put her in the middle of the healthy weight range

She should not be eating only 1200 calories

She should be eating above maintenance and lifting progressively heavier
  • Sued0nim
    Options

I disagree. Toned arms means losing fat to allow the muscle to be more defined. OP, you may need more of recomp to build muscle but maintain your weight, without putting on excess fat.

If you're not weighing and measuring your food, you have no idea what you're actually eating....

If she has body fat and existing muscle then losing body fat % would display existing musculature

She is already at too low a weight for this advice to be relevant

Please read the OP carefully and don't give unhealthy advice to a young adult who is already at too low a bodyweight
  • LKArgh
    Options

Where does a girl with a BMI of 18 exactly have this extra fat you are talking about?
  • markiend
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »

good luck

What the hell? She is 5' 2 with a bodyweight of 45kg which gives her a BMI of 18.1 .. well under underweight with all the health implications that brings - putting on 8.9kg would put her in the middle of the healthy weight range

where is this information in her original post ?

• leggup
    leggup Posts: 2,942 Member
    Options
    I've posted here before, but I'm back with a question again. Is it possible to slim down and have toned arms in just 6 weeks? So far, I work out twice a week for an hour. School and work is really tiring so it's the best I could do. I'm attending an important event on July 30, and I need to get a better figure.

P.S.

You are underweight. You should not "slim down" any more. In fact, it's possible that your weight is a reason why you're really tired.

You could do to gain at least 1 kg to get into the normal weight range. The good news is that if you're lifting weights, you can eat at a surplus and make some of that kg you gain be muscle. You can't put on muscle in a deficit and low body fat (you've already got that) + muscle mass (you need this) is what gives that "toned" look.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    Options

Where does a girl with a BMI of 18 exactly have this extra fat you are talking about?

We don't know what she looks like. She thinks she's skinny fat..so trying to "bulk" up may not appeal, hence the recomp suggestion. She has no idea what she's actually eating, so there's every possibility it's not close to 1200 cals.
  • Ironmaiden4life
    Ironmaiden4life Posts: 422 Member
    Options

Skinny fat is not an insult. It has become a common term for someone who has put themselves into a catoblic state resulting in a body composition that comprises of little lean mass and high body fat.

• markiend
    Options

Skinny fat is not an insult. It has become a common term for someone who has put themselves into a catoblic state resulting in a body composition that comprises of little lean mass and high body fat.

IMHO it is often meant in a derogatory manner, hence an insult if it directs a young woman here worrying about her appearance.

Common usage of a term doesn't mean it cannot be used in an insulting manner..... as I suspect in this case
  • Sued0nim
    Options

good luck

here

P.S.

and here
    @livingleanlivingclean eating 1200 calories a day and I log every food that goes in my mouth. I don't have a food scale though, so I'm not sure.

• markiend
    Options

good luck

here

P.S.

and here

sorry I scrolled to her original post and can see no mention of 1200 calories.. again can you see it