Good or Bad Advice????

Options
DturmenD
DturmenD Posts: 30 Member
I just had a friend advise me to purchase Hydroxycut Max for Women, to help with my weightloss. Has anyone tried this product? Or any other "weightloss aid" and do they work? I do not want to invest my hard earned money into a product that will only serve as a placebo. They also advised me to use Whey protein after any of my strength building to help my muscles recover, but after looking it up, that stuff is for body builders!!! HELP?!?!?!?!?!?

Replies

• Atlantique
    Atlantique Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    I just had a friend advise me to purchase Hydroxycut Max for Women, to help with my weightloss. Has anyone tried this product? Or any other "weightloss aid" and do they work? I do not want to invest my hard earned money into a product that will only serve as a placebo. HELP?!?!?!?!?

Totally unnecessary and potentially dangerous, let alone expensive. Save your money.

All these so-called 'weight loss supplements' are completely unregulated, which means that you have no idea if they even contain what they purport to contain, how much of anything is in there, whether those ingredients are safe, etc. Many of them also contain stimulants.

There is no magic bullet. Never has been.
  • sarapulsifer
    Options
    I would never pick any weightloss supplement to help me loose weight. It is sooooo much healthier to use eating right and exercise. It may take longer but it is healthier :)
  • corieueber
    corieueber Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    never actually heard of it but l believe that if it sounds to good to be true then it probabily is! Look hard into what it acutally is and how it works before using it.
  • sloanie1
    sloanie1 Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    I haven't used it, but I can honestly say after 23 years of dieting, the requirements are simple, hard work and discipline, and some enjoyment in between, I would take the money and go and buy fresh fruit and veggies
  • timbotina
    timbotina Posts: 1,130 Member
    Options
    I just had a friend advise me to purchase Hydroxycut Max for Women, to help with my weightloss. Has anyone tried this product? Or any other "weightloss aid" and do they work? I do not want to invest my hard earned money into a product that will only serve as a placebo. HELP?!?!?!?!?

Totally unnecessary and potentially dangerous, let alone expensive. Save your money.

All these so-called 'weight loss supplements' are completely unregulated, which means that you have no idea if they even contain what they purport to contain, how much of anything is in there, whether those ingredients are safe, etc. Many of them also contain stimulants.

There is no magic bullet. Never has been.
    [/quote

VERY WELL SAID....there is no quick fix, there are no magic pills just takes some hard work, dedication and a willingness to change to make a healthieer lifestyle...it's going to take time, because you don't gain weight in a day, it'll take more than a day to loose it...make gradual small changes and hopefully you will find you become addicted to being healthy.....
  • jenniferg83
    jenniferg83 Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    Once you take something, it may give you results. BUT as soon as you stop taking them, you end up gaining back. Not to mention how dangerous pills are. Take a multivitamin, drink plenty of water, exercise and eat right. The healthy way will benefit you long term and wont hurt you as where those pills are questionable.
  • McKayMachina
    McKayMachina Posts: 2,670 Member
    Options
    I also vote no. Not all supplements are bad (like EGCG, omega oils, etc) but anything that's basically a "diet pill" gets a NO from me. Remember Fen-Phen? :noway:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fen-phen#Aftermath

Edited to add: I took TrimSpa for a month a few years ago. Stopped taking it when I found out it's basically just a sponge that fills your stomach up before you eat. Also, I was GAINING weight. Also, it can cause intestinal blockages requiring an ER visit. Nooo thank you.
  • Paulette56
    Paulette56 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I tried it years ago and saw no benefit except to the store I bought it from. It MAY help curb appetite a little, but the weird feeling it gives you is not worth it. It all boils down to the fact that you have to watch portions and eat healthy to lose weight. Sorry--no magic bullet.
  • therealangd
    therealangd Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    I would take the money and go and buy fresh fruit and veggies

That's exactly what I was going to say.

Don't waste your money. Unless you get your fitness and nutrition right on its / your own, you are only going to get into a yo-yo diet cycle. Or the flip side is unless you plan on taking those pills for the rest of your life, then don't bother. Don't fall into the trap of "Once I lose the weight with these pills, I'll be able to ....." because unless you are in the slim minority, you won't. If pills worked, we wouldn't be a society of obese people.
  • MyaPapaya75
    MyaPapaya75 Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    save your money and buy some Dvd's for working out....
  • Xaspar
    Xaspar Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    I used Hydroxycut once and it made me light-headed, felt dehydrated cotton-mouth, and it raised my heart rate a bit (of course, my resting heart rate is aroun 46-50 so that isn't hard to do ... LOL)
    I would NOT recommend it. Anything that makes you feel that lousy while trying to 'help' you do something you can do without it (with patience, determination and consistency) just isn't worthwhile in my book.

As far as the Whey ptrotein... they ARE correct that adding protein to a meal you eat just after you work out is definitely beneficial to help the muscles rebuild after strength training. I use EAS Soy Protein myself, making protein shakes. But, you can get valuable protein from lots of food sources, so don't limit yourself from one or the other. There have even been recommendation to drink an 8 ounce glass of chocolate milk before and after a strength training workout (lowfat milk of course) from articles I have read.

But the most important thing is to make appropriate food choices and drink enough water to keep your body from dehydrating.
  • KarenLouise1981
    Options
    Hun i have never really been overweight but in my quest to remain the perfect size in my younger days I think I tried them all! I can honestly say non of them stopped my appetite, made me more energetic or helped me lose 45kg in 3 days but they did make me feel incredibly sick and lightheaded. If you look at the main ingredient in any of those products it is caffeine...so in each tablet is maybe 3 cups of coffee?

Protein powder on the other hand I do take other wise I would never hit my protein needs and I do a lot of working out! You can get some great low-carb whey powders with BCAA (branch chain amino acids) to help muscle recovery and cell development. Speak to someone in a healthfood shop and they will advice you better. Protein also fills you up more so you eat less...and can throw those quick fix pills out!

Good luck :)
  • DturmenD
    DturmenD Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Hun i have never really been overweight but in my quest to remain the perfect size in my younger days I think I tried them all! I can honestly say non of them stopped my appetite, made me more energetic or helped me lose 45kg in 3 days but they did make me feel incredibly sick and lightheaded. If you look at the main ingredient in any of those products it is caffeine...so in each tablet is maybe 3 cups of coffee?

Protein powder on the other hand I do take other wise I would never hit my protein needs and I do a lot of working out! You can get some great low-carb whey powders with BCAA (branch chain amino acids) to help muscle recovery and cell development. Speak to someone in a healthfood shop and they will advice you better. Protein also fills you up more so you eat less...and can throw those quick fix pills out!

I've never purchased the pills...I was just having a conversation with someone that recommended them. She lost 54lbs in 4 months and I thought it would help speed procress along for me too. But if it makes you feel bad then I am not for it. I have enough trouble with my weight loss noe. But I have started with the whey protein. I normally make my shakes breakfast whether I excerise or not.
  • rchallway
    rchallway Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I used that stuff a few years ago, and it made me feel awful. My heart was racing and my head hurt. My husband tried the guy version with similar results...

edit...my response was for Hydroxycut, not whey protein...I have no issues with protein powder.
  • jamie31
    jamie31 Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    I just had a friend advise me to purchase Hydroxycut Max for Women, to help with my weightloss. Has anyone tried this product? Or any other "weightloss aid" and do they work? I do not want to invest my hard earned money into a product that will only serve as a placebo. They also advised me to use Whey protein after any of my strength building to help my muscles recover, but after looking it up, that stuff is for body builders!!! HELP?!?!?!?!?!?

Hydroxycut max does not work... Whey protein is NOT just for body builders. I use whey protein about twice a day and am definitely not a bodybuilding. Whey protein will help your muscles recover after a workout. It is advised for everyone to use it to get closer to their protein goals for the day
  • cocobeenie
    cocobeenie Posts: 98
    Options
    Edited to add: I took TrimSpa for a month a few years ago. Stopped taking it when I found out it's basically just a sponge that fills your stomach up before you eat. Also, I was GAINING weight. Also, it can cause intestinal blockages requiring an ER visit. Nooo thank you.

gnarly.

I agree the diet pills are pretty much a waste of money, but protein powder is not a bad idea. It's not just for body builders, although they do use it. ...in HUGE portions. The rest of us just need one or two servings a day to help us get in our protein requirements without unnecessary carbs and fat. Its also really convenient and versatile. I can't buy it easily where I live, but if I were in the states I would try EAS or optimum nutrition because they both have really good reviews on taste and quality. (EAS is a little pricier, though)

Protein powder isn't without its pitfalls either though. A lot of them don't digest very well, including the one I was able to get my hands on, Six Star Nutrition Whey (which also got good reviews). I played around a bit and figured out its much better if I mix in peanut butter, probably because the fat content. However, this turns my lean 160cal snack into an alright 250cal snack or a really yummy 340cal meal with a banana added.

You should also know there are different types of protein powder. Whey is fast-digesting and is best for a post-workout meal because it gets the protein to your muscles really quick so they don't go bye-bye. Most protein powders are whey. Casein, in contrast, is slow-digesting and is good to have a little while before you sleep so your body doesn't feast on your muscles during your sleep. I imagine it keeps you full longer too so it might not be bad for a small low-cal meal anytime.
  • Wimpey
    Wimpey Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Hi,

I think you will find informative googling "thermogenic" supplements and foods.
    That way you can formulate an unbias opinion.

Supplement with thermogenic property are very strong and have therefore side effects that may be not be worth your time (just like caffeine overdose if you ever had too many espresso!)

Real healthy foods with thermogenic property (like chilly for example) can be included in your diet to help along.

A walk after a meal will have a far better thermogenic bangs for your books (burning more calories) than cost/risk of supplement. (so says my sport nutrition book!)

Good luck!
  • nhendri
    nhendri Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    I worked for a company that sold weight loss supliments and I would never suggest them to anyone I ended up getting laid off because I did not meet my sales goal. I didnt want to I felt I was hurting people. Anyways if you hear that something is regulated by the FDA all that means is that their advertisment cannot tell you your going to loose this amount. They can however tell you it will help you reach that goal. These companies are very tricky when it comes to wording their advertisments and they pass it on to the employee's you talk to in stores and on the phone. Now I can not say that all of them are bad I just would not suggest anyone put anything into their body unless they know its natural or has been tested. Oh and the testing these supliment pills go through are not always on humans so how do they really know it is safe for us and those testings are not regulated or over seen by the FDA. Most of these companies want your money not to help you so they do not always tell the truth. Its funny if the rep you speak to cannot give you a yes or no straight forward answer to your question it is because they cannot legaly tell you yes and the company wont say no because you wont by the product. Oh they also change the subject a lot to point out the positive things they can say instead of answering.
  • healthyjen342
    healthyjen342 Posts: 1,435 Member
    Options
    i agree...waste of money..and harmful to your body...I had a "friend" tell me once that I needed to get more protein and sugar in my diet and advised me to get a LARGE STRAWBERRY MILKSHAKE FROM MCDONALDS....WTH?! sometimes people THINK they know whats best for US! If you have to question it...it might not be worth it!
  • PecanTanDiva
    PecanTanDiva Posts: 162
    Options

I've never purchased the pills...I was just having a conversation with someone that recommended them. She lost 54lbs in 4 months and I thought it would help speed procress along for me too. But if it makes you feel bad then I am not for it. I have enough trouble with my weight loss noe. But I have started with the whey protein. I normally make my shakes breakfast whether I excerise or not.

I've taken this twice before. The first time i lost weight, BUT it had ephedra in it and I felt like I was having a heart attack because my heart was racing. Then I tried it 2 years ago because "a friend" told me this one was different because they were Ephedra free because they took it off the market...AGAIN, my crazy butt took it because I was sooo desperate to lose weight and it did absolutely nothing. I wasted 38 - 40 dollars and then the girl who advised me to take it, she gained her weight back after 2 1/2 months.

***I would rather do it the right way, this way I can continue living my life in a healthy way**