soda is my weakness

Options

Replies

• happycauseIride
    happycauseIride Posts: 536 Member
    Options
    klmnumbers wrote: »
    I am definitely with you on this. I have a long history of giving up diet pepsi/diet coke for months, but then it's like a relapse where I drink it like water. I think it's fine to keep drinking, but just try to limit it. And if you drink 20 ozs of soda, drink 20 ozs of water. Match soda with water.

If it's just carbonation you love, maybe consider getting a soda stream/drinking some flavored waters?

I didn't even see this comment on the soda stream before I posted mine.

Yes, there are many different flavors for the soda stream, not just soda's. Lemonades, ginger ale, fruit punch, and tons more. There is sure to be something to satisfy your sweet tooth. And even if you drink regular soda on the soda stream the calories are about half of a regular Pepsi or Coke.

• enterdanger
    enterdanger Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    I gave up soda when I was pregnant with my first son and never went back. My thought was that if it was bad enough that the OB didn't want baby exposed to it, it probably isn't great for me anyway. That's kind of a stupid way to quit soda if you aren't already pregnant. lol
  • Roxamillion84
    Roxamillion84 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Soda is my addiction, definitely. I haven't had one since I started my most recent weight-loss effort in mid-May. Some days are easier than others. I never intended to cut it out completely and considered getting one over the weekend (my roommate and I love getting Cherry/Vanilla Dr. Peppers sometimes in the summer evenings), but ended up not (having to drive to get it is a passive demotivator :smile: ).

I was drinking Clover Valley and Clear American sparkling waters for a time to get the carbonation hit and some flavor, but when I realized the aspartame content was as high as a diet soda, I kind of backed off. Figured water was fine, and if I had a soda now and again it wouldn't hurt, so long as I was drinking more water.

Still learning, though. Hoping it eventually gets easier to curb the craving, but it's definitely hard to clean break a 25 year habit.
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    I gave up soda when I was pregnant with my first son and never went back. My thought was that if it was bad enough that the OB didn't want baby exposed to it, it probably isn't great for me anyway. That's kind of a stupid way to quit soda if you aren't already pregnant. lol

It's the caffeine. Many OB's advise caffeine free soda and decaf coffee.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    OP - lifestyle changes

Are you looking to give up soda forever? If not, then cutting back to zero now will help you lose weight....but it won't help you keep if off.
  • jessicapk
    jessicapk Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    I was a huge fan of Dr. Pepper and Coke for ages and never could stand the taste of diet. I've given it up for the most part but still indulge from time to time. Not only are they high calorie and high sugar drinks, but don't forget that they are TERRIBLE for your teeth. People can sit and argue all they want about diet sodas being fine because they are zero calorie and no sugar, but the acids in sodas are absolutely horrible for your teeth. Sodas stain and eat away at your enamel. It's not JUST about calories, people.
  • Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Alyssa_Is_LosingIt Posts: 4,696 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    jessicapk wrote: »
    I was a huge fan of Dr. Pepper and Coke for ages and never could stand the taste of diet. I've given it up for the most part but still indulge from time to time. Not only are they high calorie and high sugar drinks, but don't forget that they are TERRIBLE for your teeth. People can sit and argue all they want about diet sodas being fine because they are zero calorie and no sugar, but the acids in sodas are absolutely horrible for your teeth. Sodas stain and eat away at your enamel. It's not JUST about calories, people.

This is why we have dental hygiene.

We eat a lot of acidic foods on a daily basis that are bad for our teeth, which is why we brush and floss our teeth. In moderation, it wouldn't be any worse than eating pickles or oranges or pretty much any fruit/vegetable.
  • slideaway1
    slideaway1 Posts: 1,006 Member
    Options
    I bloody hate Soda. It makes me burp, regardless of brand or flavour. It does taste nice though. I can see why people enjoy it.
  • SingRunTing
    SingRunTing Posts: 2,604 Member
    Options
    I like the carbonation, so I drink seltzer water pretty regularly. I do also have a diet coke sometimes.

I don't drink regular soda simply because I'd rather eat my calories.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,669 Member
    Options
    I know it is soooo bad for you, but there is something about the sweetness and carbonation combination that makes it so hard to cut out. Plus, cutting out the caffeine gives me headaches. How do you keep control and avoid the temptation?
    Personally I switched from regular to diet soda. While many can't stand how it tastes, I don't find it an issue. And before anyone chimes in about how "bad" diet soda is for you, research peer reviewed clinical studies. I've drank it now for 25+ years and haven't suffered the issues that many "naturalists" have claimed will happen with long term usage.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• DuckReconMajor
    DuckReconMajor Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    It's been almost 5 years since i stopped drinking soda. After a while without it I could not go back as I hated the taste. If I drink something i think is unsweet tea (that, black coffee, and water are pretty much all i drink when not drinking alcohol) and it is sweet tea or soda I cannot swallow it. I always end up spitting it out somehow. Also for some reason diet soda always tasted sweeter to me so i could not go to that.

i lost most of my sweet tooth as well. I occassionally indulge in chocolate but I cant eat much before the taste is too much for my mouth.

But yeah it is nice not having to log what you drink most of the time (i know unsweetened tea and black coffee have calories but I haven't seen the values be high enough to log before)
  • jessef593
    jessef593 Posts: 2,272 Member
    Options
    Any pop regularly in your diet isn't a good thing. It spikes your insulin which almost instantly results in fat storage. And diets no better. Tell me, how do you create a drink that's full of flavour and has zero calories? By filling it with synthetic chemicals, mmmm doesn't that sound delicious. By carbonated water that has light flavouring, and the caffeine headache goes away in acouple days. You have to make the choice to stop filling your body with pure sugar.
  • Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Options
    jessef593 wrote: »
    Any pop regularly in your diet isn't a good thing. It spikes your insulin which almost instantly results in fat storage. And diets no better. Tell me, how do you create a drink that's full of flavour and has zero calories? By filling it with synthetic chemicals, mmmm doesn't that sound delicious. By carbonated water that has light flavouring, and the caffeine headache goes away in acouple days. You have to make the choice to stop filling your body with pure sugar.

*eye roll*

you-must-be-new-here-willy-wonka-ewlzcs.jpg
  • macgurlnet
    macgurlnet Posts: 1,946 Member
    Options

lol.

If you're trying to avoid chemicals I really hope you're growing all your own food.

~Lyssa
  • Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Options
    macgurlnet wrote: »

lol.

If you're trying to avoid chemicals I really hope you're growing all your own food.

~Lyssa

Or not eating or breathing, because chemicals are literally everywhere!
  • macgurlnet
    macgurlnet Posts: 1,946 Member
    Options
    macgurlnet wrote: »

lol.

~Lyssa

Or not eating or breathing, because chemicals are literally everywhere!

Not if you're in a bubble!

~Lyssa
  • DylanThomas2
    DylanThomas2 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I dont really have a problem with sodas I have a diet coke every now and then but my brother had a terrible time cutting them out of his diet he switched over to clear american sparkling water its 0 calories and very tasty.
  • umayster
    umayster Posts: 651 Member
    Options

*eye roll*

Jesse speaks on the chemical process that happens when you eat sugar (or any carbs) and your response is an eye roll.

Are we on a nutrition forum or at Jr high?
  • jessef593
    Options
    I'm just saying why put anymore than you need to just for a simple sweet fix. Like what's so bad about water? I just love how many threads there are about pop is all.
  • jessef593
    Options
    umayster wrote: »

*eye roll*

Jesse speaks on the chemical process that happens when you eat sugar (or any carbs) and your response is an eye roll.

Are we on a nutrition forum or at Jr high?

Thank you, I'm pretty sure the whole point of these threads are to be frIendly and informative. There's a reason why so many people who consume soda daily are overweight and/or suffer from diabetes. Just spread the love yall! Haha