HIIT Workout, how does this look for weight loss?

Options
tdelam
tdelam Posts: 48 Member
What do you guys think about this for weight loss? I've always loved running but HIIT looks like a ton of fun and by the sounds of it, is really effective for weight-loss (combined with a proper diet of course)

What do you guys think?....

PHASE 1 (1:4): WEEKS 1-2
15 seconds: High-intensity exercise
60 seconds: Rest or low-intensity exercise
Repeat another 10 times, followed by a final 15-second high-intensity blast.

PHASE 2 (1:2): WEEKS 3-4
30 seconds: High-intensity exercise
60 seconds: Rest or low-intensity exercise
Repeat another 10 times, followed by a final 30-second high-intensity blast.

PHASE 3 (1:1): WEEKS 5-6
30 seconds: Rest or low-intensity exercise
Repeat another 11 times, followed by a final 30-second high-intensity blast.

PHASE 4 (2:1): WEEK 7-8
15 seconds: Rest or low-intensity exercise
Repeat another 25 times, followed by a final 30-second high-intensity blast.

I was thinking of doing some Yoga on the off days to stretch out.

Replies

• scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    Options
    You are only exercising from 3 min in the first weeks to 13 min in the last weeks. Your calorie burns will be trivial.
  • socioseguro
    socioseguro Posts: 1,679 Member
    Options
    Hi:

My experience is weight loss is achieved by eating at a deficit (calories burned > calories ingested).
    I train for my health but no exercise will overcome eating more calories than you burn.
    Good luck in your healthy journey
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    Your scheme doesn't make a lot of sense. Especially the last phase. 25 rounds? What exercises are you doing throughout this plan?
  • coreyreichle
    coreyreichle Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    Calorie deficit is what does the weight-loss portion. However, you HIIT training will improve your speed and endurance.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,574 Member
    Options
    Weight loss is about CICO, not what exercise regimen you uptake. Exercise is for fitness and health, although the amount you do contributes to calorie deficit. That said, if you eat as much as you burn, no weight loss will occur.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • professionalHobbyist
    professionalHobbyist Posts: 1,316 Member
    Options
    I eat my 1650 or so calories and do HIIT.

I am at a deficit and the HIIT works for me

Although it is 2:15 slow and :45 sprint. Rinse and repeat 8 times for 24 minutes

There is a 3 minute warm up and cool down.

It only takes a half hour but I am dripping sweat off my elbows and panting.

I felt hungover the next day the first few times doing it.

But yeah.... Fat loss only happens for me when I eat the correct amount of food.

I never could out exercise my fork. Just does not work that way for me.
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options
    I think OP should research more about HIIT. This is not a plan for weight loss. Also HIIT =/= 25 rounds. What kind of high intensity you think you can put into 25 rounds of anything?
  • ungeneric
    ungeneric Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I think a 4:1 work-to-rest ratio is excessive, even just to start. I can't speak to your health, but I was almost 400 pounds and completely sedentary when I started HIIT, and I was able to start at almost 1:1 from the get-go, and these days I do 2:1 (which appears to be your eventual goal). HIIT is really hard, by definition -- if it's not hard, your intensity should probably be higher! -- but it's really quite safe, so long as your choice of exercise is safe for you. (e.g., at my weight and with my joint problems, running was never going to be an option for me)

As others have said, HIIT will have a pretty negligible effect on your weight loss, but it will rapidly improve your fitness. I went from a resting heart rate of 90+ to a resting heart rate of 60 in a month or two of HIIT. (Admittedly I was hitting it 5 times a week, consistently.)
  • kcjchang
    kcjchang Posts: 709 Member
    Options
    HIIT is done at or above VO2Max, there is no way anyone can hit 25 reps; if you are getting 11-25 reps, it's not HIIT. HIIT is to recruit and train the anaerobic side of the house for endurance sport mainly for peak power delivery. Also, 30 seconds is on the short side.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    If you are planning on creating your calorie deficit through exercise then it would be far better to go for a run.
  • courtneysmith34
    courtneysmith34 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I go to a HIIT class at my gym and we do 20 seconds of work 10 seconds of rest for 8 rounds each exercise. For example: burpees, mountain climbers, v-ups, pushups, plank, jump rope, jumping jacks ect.. I do this for a hour and burn between 600 to 1000 calories a class.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    I go to a HIIT class at my gym and we do 20 seconds of work 10 seconds of rest for 8 rounds each exercise. For example: burpees, mountain climbers, v-ups, pushups, plank, jump rope, jumping jacks ect.. I do this for a hour and burn between 600 to 1000 calories a class.

You can't do true HIIT for an hour and very much doubt those calorie burns.
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »

You can't do true HIIT for an hour and very much doubt those calorie burns.

So lets call it moderate interval intensity training. That is still difficult to do for some.
  • kwtilbury
    kwtilbury Posts: 1,234 Member
    Options
    I go to a HIIT class at my gym and we do 20 seconds of work 10 seconds of rest for 8 rounds each exercise. For example: burpees, mountain climbers, v-ups, pushups, plank, jump rope, jumping jacks ect.

This is Tabata style (20 on/10 off/8 rounds) and is what I was going to suggest.
  • ungeneric
    ungeneric Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    kcjchang wrote: »
    30 seconds is on the short side.
    That was my thought, too. I didn't do a ton of research before starting HIIT (I mostly just searched Wikipedia), but it's never occurred to me to do less than a minute.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    kwtilbury wrote: »
    I go to a HIIT class at my gym and we do 20 seconds of work 10 seconds of rest for 8 rounds each exercise. For example: burpees, mountain climbers, v-ups, pushups, plank, jump rope, jumping jacks ect.

This is Tabata style (20 on/10 off/8 rounds) and is what I was going to suggest.

Tabata would be limited to one set of 8, though...it sounds like they're doing multiples.
  • tdelam
    tdelam Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I forgot I started this discussion... after much research the HIIT workout given here has been beneficial in weight loss and fitness for others but for me I chose P90X3. Sorry for not updating this thread, I forgot all about it :)
  • jeichelb83
    jeichelb83 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    I do my HIIT workouts on an exercise bike. What I've been doing it 5 minutes warm up, 30 second blasts/90 second recovery x5, 5 minutes cooldown.
  • kcjchang
    kcjchang Posts: 709 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    This study is based on runners. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15387806?ordinalpos=51&itool=EntrezSystem2.PEntrez.Pubmed.Pubmed_ResultsPanel.Pubmed_RVDocSum

"One thing to take into consideration is that at the start of an interval, increased oxygen consumption takes anywhere from 60-180 seconds to reach the point of VO2max..."

For cycling the suggested VO2Max workout is 5x5' @ >115% FTP.

Quote from Dr. Andrew Coggen
    "Modeled as a single exponential function, the half-time for VO2 kinetics in endurance trained individuals is ~30s. Thus, in response to a sudden ("square wave") increase in power output from 0 watts to one that which just elicits VO2max:

after ~30 s you would be at ~50% of VO2max

after ~60 s you would be at ~75% of VO2max

after ~90 s you would be at ~87.5% of VO2max

after ~120 s you would be at ~91.25% of VO2max

Etc.

Now a single-exponential is a bit of an oversimplification, and opinions might differ at to what constitutes "at/near VO2max", but nonetheless it is correct that it generally takes "a couple of minutes" to get to VO2max, at least when starting from a much lower level of exercise. "