Best Fitness BandS

Options
Hi everyone. I am thinking about buying a fitness band, ie. Fitbit. However, I have no idea which is the best choice. I want something that links to my phone (Samsung Galaxy 3) and my fitness apps. It needs to be reasonable priced to give me the most bang for my buck. Any suggestions would be great. Thanks!!!

Replies

• FitPhillygirl
    FitPhillygirl Posts: 7,124 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    I got my Garmin Vivofit 2 + HRM a few weeks ago. The step count was off a little at first, however, after calibrating the steps in settings on Garmin connect, it is pretty much spot on with my step count and miles traveled throughout the day. Also, the chest strap was a little bit tough getting used to coming from my Polar HRM chest strap. However, after a few days using it for running and a few other activities I don't even know that it is on while I'm working out anymore.

I've read good and bad reviews for the Garmin connect App. After using the App for myself I feel that the Garmin connect app is ok for my needs since I only mainly use it to look at Steps taken, miles, Activities. I do look at the sleep time as well which I like better than Fitbit because it actually does record my sleep pattern every night. I don't need to know the exact times that I am restless or get up during the night. My Fitbit would only record my sleep half of the time and if I got up for more than 10 minutes, it didn't record the first 2 hours of sleep and started my counting from the time I went back to bed. My Vivofit 2 will stay in sleep mode longer unless I press the button on the side first telling it that I'm up and ready to start my day.

I don't count calories so that aspect of my device doesn't matter as much for my needs. However, for the first few days I did sync it with the MFP App and did a calorie count with it as a test. While synced with MFP the calorie intake was correct as was the number of calories burned doing other activities with it while wearing the HRM. As far as calories burned while going about my daily steps throughout the day, it doesn't seem too far off, but who knows. As I said, I don't normally count calories and was only using this feature as a test.

I love the fact that the battery lasts for a full year and that you can change out the bands for a different color if you want. In fact, this is the only time I ever remove the Vivofit 2 from my wrist since getting it, lol. Also, the Vivofit 2 is truly as waterproof as they say because I have gone swimming with it a few times now and shower with it as well and it still works great. These were 2 of the biggest reasons why I chose to get the Vivofit 2 over another Fitbit.

You can get the Vivofit 2 without the HRM anywhere from $79 to $99. If you want the HRM it will run about $130.

Overall, I really like my Vivofit 2 much better than the Fitbit's that I used before (Flex, Charge, Charge HR) and have decided to keep it. :)
  • Kathy379
    Kathy379 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I have the garmin Vivofit 2 and am happy with it. I cannot compare it to any others as this is the only one I've had/tried. The reason I chose this over the fitbit is because the battery life is 1 year and Its waterproof. I didn't want another gadget to charge all the time!
  • kindrabbit
    kindrabbit Posts: 837 Member
    Options
    Following this with interest. I'm in need of a new heart rate monitor since the death of my Polar FT4. Was thinking of a fitbit charge Hr as I wouldn't need to wear a chest strap.
  • ScubaSteve1962
    ScubaSteve1962 Posts: 609 Member
    Options
    What version of Android are you running on your phone, some of the newer version won't work on 4.1 or below. What all will you be using it for?

http://www.heartratemonitorsusa.com/
  • jeffpettis
    jeffpettis Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    Check out the Garmin Vivosmart.

How are you planning to use it? What are you looking to track? What apps do you use?
  • RobertWilkens
    RobertWilkens Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I've used fitbits (not bands, tho), VivoSmart (loved the idea, but display was too small for my eyes without glasses), Samsung Gear (it doesn't sync with MFP), and now I'm trying Microsoft Band (yes, it works with samsung s5 anyway, not sure about s3). One negative of microsoft band's default config is that it takes steps from both phone and band and seems to add them (???) but i turned off the phone tracking unless they fix it... Also the microsoft band doesn't log calories into MFP (I think this is a 'known issue' on mfp support page, whether or not they ever fix it) unless i specifically mark an exercise while I'm doing it then it logs to MFP as a 'run' or 'general exercise' and i get calorie credit (I try not to eat back calories anyway).
  • kindrabbit
    kindrabbit Posts: 837 Member
    Options
    With the vivosmart and the vivofit you need a chest strap. Is that right?
  • RobertWilkens
    Options
    For heart rate, yes.. you do with vivosmart (i never got heart rate to work, and exchanged it for one without it). And i didn't like that either -- those chest straps almost feel like they're zapping me or irritating my skin or something.
  • RobertWilkens
    Options
    Not sure how accurate, but Microsoft band optical heart rate is on bottom of wrist strap so it's where the veins are exposed... As opposed to samsung gear fit where optical heart rate is usually on a bone and has to be moved....
  • AChildAtHeart
    AChildAtHeart Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I posted a similar thread myself, but I can tell you what not to get. I had a Basis Peak and loved its functions but had constant problems to sync it. I left it on the charger 48 hours and that seems to have killed it. I've never before had a device that was hurt by leaving it on a charger. I don't know if you care about heart rate but that's what I really want so it limits me. Just beware the Peak unless you want syncing headaches constantly.
  • ScubaSteve1962
    ScubaSteve1962 Posts: 609 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    I prefer polar, I only want my heart rate when I'm working out. water proof (a300 and V800 will read your heart rate in water to 100ft) , step counter, links to most cardio equipment to control level/incline during work out.
  • dsneade
    dsneade Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I have been using the Microsoft Band with my Galaxy S3 and I like it... It integrates with MFP and I get to see breakdowns of my workouts, runs, and sleeping habits on Microsoft's health website. It's nifty and give some useful data.
  • vabniullga
    vabniullga Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Thank you for all you suggestions!!

I want to use it mostly for the steps counting to start. I know they all do so much more, but as a "beginner" with all this eating, exercise and such. I will be using it for basics, and as I learn to change my habits, I can take advantage of the other functions of the band. Waterproof is absolutely important as I like to swim, especially in the summer. I am hoping that by seeing the readings, it will also help to keep me motivated and perhaps, make me challenge myself to do better the next day.