5 Unbeatable forms of Cardio

Options
Thought this was pretty helpful.

tumblr_llpt8vJD4A1qk1qlqo1_500.jpg

Sure, you do cardio, right? Everybody who trains knows it’s necessary to keep body fat levels low… Here are 5 types of cardio, motivation tips, and a sample cardio program to support your fat loss goals!

1. Continuous Training

Continuous training is also known as long slow distance (LSD) cardio, or steady state cardio. It involves training at the same workload for a extended period of time, usually 20 - 60 minutes, without any periods of rest.

Taking a long jog on the treadmill at a pace of seven miles per hour continually would be an example of this style of training. It’s safe and easy to pick-up, which makes it a great option for all levels of fitness.

2. Interval Training

Interval training can also be used for all levels of fitness. It involves training at a high-intensity heart rate for a short period, then following that with an easy recovery period.

This is a great option if you get bored easily and like to constantly change your intensity during your workouts. An example of this would be to run at 8 mph for 2 minutes and slowly jog at a 5 mph pace for 3 minutes of recovery.

3. Fartlek Training

Fartlek training is much like interval training, only less structured. It is very demanding and best-suited for the advanced individual, however. The alternations involve intense training and recovery periods are non-systematic. They fluctuate between “high speed, high intensity, anaerobic work and low intensity, relief type periods” (Yoke, Gladwin, 2001).

4. Super Circuit Training

Super circuit training is also called aerobic circuit training and involves alternating short periods of cardio with short periods of anaerobic exercises, like resistance training.

An example of this would be three minutes on the elliptical trainer followed by one minute of squats, then three minutes on the treadmill followed by one minute of leg presses, etc. (It ensures maintenance of muscle mass while shredding body fat in a minimal amount of time.)

5. Cross-Training

Cross-training involves alternating pieces of cardio equipment within different periods of time. There are three varieties to this type of training.

The first would be to alternate equipment within the same cardio session, such as performing 10 minutes on the treadmill, 10 minutes on the stationery bike, and 10 minutes on the elliptical machine.

The second option is to vary the equipment each day, using a different piece each every day of the week. The final choice is to periodize training based on the seasons. An example of this could be swimming in the summer, hiking and rock-climbing in the fall, skiing in the winter or running in the spring.

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/5_types_of_cardio.htm

Replies

• beccaboo1021
    Options
    7 mph is a slow jog?!! :noway: YIKES, I must go at a turtle pace, LOL! :laugh:
  • rfcollins33
    rfcollins33 Posts: 630
    Options

HAHA, Me too! I go 5.5 on avg, and I can do up to 8 without falling off treadmill and hurting myself. lol

@OP: Thanks for posting, very interesting and useful!! :)
  • NMandaMarie
    NMandaMarie Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    Thanks! Bump. :)
  • SpaceMarkus
    SpaceMarkus Posts: 651
    Options
    Great post!
  • Missylydia
    Missylydia Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    very useful!
  • ashleyxnicole89
    ashleyxnicole89 Posts: 38 Member
    Options

HAHA, Me too! I go 5.5 on avg, and I can do up to 8 without falling off treadmill and hurting myself. lol

@OP: Thanks for posting, very interesting and useful!! :)

I hear ya! But I'm also 5'3, and about half legs, half torso and upper body, so a 10 minute mile is FAST for me. lol
  • HappyathomeMN
    HappyathomeMN Posts: 498 Member
    Options

Turtles unite!
    Seriously - 7mph?? I would feel like I was flying!
  • peytjalmom
    peytjalmom Posts: 76
    Options
    Bump. Great post!
  • chuisle
    chuisle Posts: 1,052 Member
    Options
    Sorry just had to jump in here with this:

Steady state cardio is not good for fat loss!

http://figureathlete.t-nation.com/free_online_article/training/the_final_nail_in_the_cardio_coffin
  • stephanieGmo
    Options

Turtles unite!
    Seriously - 7mph?? I would feel like I was flying!

POWER TO THE TURTLES!!!!!!
  • AUPerry
    AUPerry Posts: 166
    Options

http://figureathlete.t-nation.com/free_online_article/training/the_final_nail_in_the_cardio_coffin

Different sources are always going to conflict and not agree on certain things.

However from personal experience steady cardio has worked for my fat loss.
  • chuisle
    Options

That's a good point..there's ton of divergent opinions in fat loss and fitness. It's great steady state has worked for you! Personally, I totally believe this article. I am happier with my body and fat level than when I was running 15 miles or more a week and the studies supporting high intensity training are hard to argue with.

But, I need to point out that not all the cardio in the article falls under "steady state." Intervals, fartleks, circuit, potentially crossfit probably don't apply...just the first idea which, unfortunately is what a lot of people strive for. For me, it's a matter of the fact that I don't like to spend 45 minutes on a treadmill. It's fine if that's one of your fitness goals. Jumping on a treadmill is NOT bad...it's just not the best way to get fat loss and toning.

Thanks for posting!
  • jataijah
    jataijah Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    Bump :)
  • shumatet1982
    Options

Very nice article!
  • AUPerry
    AUPerry Posts: 166
    Options

That's a good point..there's ton of divergent opinions in fat loss and fitness. It's great steady state has worked for you! Personally, I totally believe this article. I am happier with my body and fat level than when I was running 15 miles or more a week and the studies supporting high intensity training are hard to argue with.

But, I need to point out that not all the cardio in the article falls under "steady state." Intervals, fartleks, circuit, potentially crossfit probably don't apply...just the first idea which, unfortunately is what a lot of people strive for. For me, it's a matter of the fact that I don't like to spend 45 minutes on a treadmill. It's fine if that's one of your fitness goals. Jumping on a treadmill is NOT bad...it's just not the best way to get fat loss and toning.

Thanks for posting!

I believe you may have read the article wrong. Those are 5 different forms of cardio. Only the first one is steady state. The other ones are examples of HIIT, which you say is great. The article represents both aspects of this.
  • chuisle
    Options

Thanks for posting!

I believe you may have read the article wrong. Those are 5 different forms of cardio. Only the first one is steady state. The other ones are examples of HIIT, which you say is great. The article represents both aspects of this.

Agreed! That's what I was saying in the second paragraph I wrote.
  • btor
    btor Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    Bump bump bump!
  • MoLivesLuvsLifts
    MoLivesLuvsLifts Posts: 1,168 Member
    Options
    Thanks for sharing! I like the different ways of cross training. I think next week I'll use a different machine each day at the gym.