Eating Cereal..

Options
Question for all the MFP users out there...

When you are eating cereal, how do you record it? Do you record how much you consume or how much you pour? For example, when I eat cereal, I do not drink the milk when I am done. Do I measure how much milk I pour in the beginning and subtract the amount of milk left? OR do I just record how much milk I pour even though Im not actually consuming it.

I really hope I made sense. lol

Replies

• JennLifts
    JennLifts Posts: 1,913 Member
    Options
    i measure 1/4c milk and track 1/4c milk
  • RNewton4269
    RNewton4269 Posts: 663 Member
    Options
    I record what I put in the bowl. I weigh and measure it sometimes too. Depends on the cereal. Lately it has been Kashi Cinnamon Harvest. 28 biscuits is the serving size...just count them out...add 4 oz of milk...and count that. Hope this is helpful. Invest in a scale. It will definately help you with portion control on things like this. I know it helped me. Good luck!
  • EHK1948
    EHK1948 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I record what I measure. I use measuring cups and spoons, as well as a scale. Invest in the scale. Digital scales at Target start at $24.95. http://www.target.com/Escali-Primo-Digital-Scale-Chrome/dp/B0007GAWRS/ref=sc_pd_gwvub_2_title
  • brandiqua
    brandiqua Posts: 2
    Options
    I record the cereal per the serving size and then say measure out the serving and record it that way. I do milk separate and measure the serving size and if I don't drink the milk I record half of the serving size. This way you have a rough estimate
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    Options
    I don't use more milk than I need to make the cereal soggy, so there isn't anything left after I have eaten the cereal. Maybe try just using a bit less milk?
  • ohhbee2012
    ohhbee2012 Posts: 17
    Options
    record what i pour. if i drink it, im on track and if i dont, it gives me a little margin of error for the rest of the day :)
  • alonnadodd
    alonnadodd Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I measure what I pour and don't adjust it even if I don't drink it. I probably am slightly off on other things throughout the day so I figure that a little milk won't make a big difference... if anything I'll eat a bit less than what I track which is ok with me.
  • starboardzor
    starboardzor Posts: 312
    Options
    I don't use more milk than I need to make the cereal soggy, so there isn't anything left after I have eaten the cereal. Maybe try just using a bit less milk?

I agree with this. Better than dumping milk down the sink...
  • jfinnivan
    jfinnivan Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    I record what I pour, but I try to pour an amount that will leave a few spoonfuls of milk after the cereal is gone. I enjoy those last few spoonfuls of milk...
  • PeachyKeene
    PeachyKeene Posts: 1,645 Member
    Options
    If you want to be near exact, measure what you have left and subtract it from what you originally poured. I like to have a lot of milk on my cereal and I don't drink the milk afterwards. If I was wanting to be as close as possible when counting my calories that is what I would do.
  • Aileen46
    Aileen46 Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    record what i pour. if i drink it, im on track and if i dont, it gives me a little margin of error for the rest of the day :)

Me too.
  • inskydiamonds
    inskydiamonds Posts: 2,519 Member
    Options
    I drink all the milk, so I count it all. Even if I didn't, I would probably still count it because I'd rather overestimate than underestimate. And I measure everything before I put it in the bowl.