Weight lifting --> fatigue?

Options
I've been lifting weights consistently the past few months, and I love it. I usually lift about 45-60 minutes, 2-3 days per week. I'm definitely going heavier than I used to, and I've gotten much stronger and I like the definition.

But man, it seems to wipe me out! When I do legs, I'm typically sore for 2+ days, and I seem to need more sleep than usual afterwards.

My doctors have done bloodwork and everything looks normal. (My iron count is slightly low so I am taking iron supplements in addition to a multivitamin, but I'm not anemic.)

I was wondering whether maybe the weight training was causing the fatigue? Does anyone else experience that?

FWIW, I'm 5'2" and 125lbs, 44 years old.

Replies

• jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    It can wipe you out, especially if you are under-fueling yourself. How much are you eating?
  • skinnygirldc
    skinnygirldc Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I don't really keep track anymore, but I'd guess about 1500-1800 calories (mostly nutrient-dense food). I'm a shortie (5'2"), I'm 44, and I have a sedentary job. MFP would put my maintenance calories around 1500 without the weight lifting.

I've tried to lose that "last 10 lbs" by dieting at 1200 calories, but I wasn't able to stick with it. So I'm focusing on strength and definition instead of weight loss at this point.
  • AsISmile
    AsISmile Posts: 1,004 Member
    Options
    Are you actually getting enough sleep? It is so important.
    Also, perhaps slightly increase calories and see if it feels better? Or more carbohydrates?
  • pzarnosky
    pzarnosky Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    Accept the soreness, it's part of weightlifting. It never stops. If you're groggy tired, you either need more food or more sleep.
    Take your iron supp with a glass of orange juice. OJ helps iron absorption in the body.
  • XavierNusum
    XavierNusum Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    That sounds completely normal to me. The soreness may only linger for 1-2 days as you progress, but it won't every completely go away. As far as fatigue, your body "builds" muscle while you sleep so it makes perfect sense that when you tear down those muscles (especially huge muscles like quads, glutes, hams) you're body wants more recovery time. Try adding in some steady state cardio about 2 days after leg day, like cycling or elliptical. Go at a not slow, but good pace and really try to pump some blood through those sore puppies and that will help.
  • skinnygirldc
    Options
    pzarnosky wrote: »
    Accept the soreness, it's part of weightlifting. It never stops. If you're groggy tired, you either need more food or more sleep.
    Take your iron supp with a glass of orange juice. OJ helps iron absorption in the body.

I'll try that. I don't mind the soreness, it's the total-body fatigue that is new to me. I'm sleeping 8-10 hours per night when I used to sleep 7.

I don't eat gluten, so perhaps I need to find another source of complex carbs? I eat plenty of fruits and veggies, milk, cheese, fish, chicken, meat, eggs. (I'm mostly GF for a non-celiac medical reason.)
  • skinnygirldc
    Options
    That sounds completely normal to me. The soreness may only linger for 1-2 days as you progress, but it won't every completely go away. As far as fatigue, your body "builds" muscle while you sleep so it makes perfect sense that when you tear down those muscles (especially huge muscles like quads, glutes, hams) you're body wants more recovery time. Try adding in some steady state cardio about 2 days after leg day, like cycling or elliptical. Go at a not slow, but good pace and really try to pump some blood through those sore puppies and that will help.

I usually take spin classes 2 days per week, and often do the elliptical for 30 minutes after lifting. In total, I'm not working out more than 3-4 days per week though (and unfortunately I'm not that active outside the gym).

• hotpoison
    hotpoison Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    You need to eat more protein I lift aswell had the same problem I took up my protein intake and I'm only sore for that day hope it helps you to :)
  • skinnygirldc
    Options
    hotpoison wrote: »
    You need to eat more protein I lift aswell had the same problem I took up my protein intake and I'm only sore for that day hope it helps you to :)

I'm sure you're right...suggestions? I eat meat, fish, hard boiled eggs, cheese, milk, etc. Often have canned sardines with lunch.

• FabianRodriguez94
    FabianRodriguez94 Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    A good amount of healthy carbs will be incredibly beneficial for your energy levels throughout the day and during workouts. Protein is also an essential macro that you need for repairing muscles and assisting with the recovery process after workouts. Having a good source of protein shortly after a workout is a good idea since your muscles are warmed up and will take in nutrients much easier during this time. Keeping up with this consistently will slowly cause the soreness to become much more bearable. A small amount of carbs after a workout can also be nice to help you feel less exhausted throughout the rest of the day.
    Like someone said above, you have to accept that soreness comes with lifting especially when you move on to a higher intensity level. Moving helps relieve soreness as well, so maybe add in a stretch day to help relieve the pain/tension in your muscles.
    Good luck!
  • XavierNusum
    XavierNusum Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    hotpoison wrote: »

This is another great suggestion. Try to get that protein in within 30minutes to 3 hours of working out. Science isn't rock solid on timing, but within 3 hours an decently accepted number. Try greek yogurt with fresh fruit. Also, I don't know how you feel about supplementation, but a BCAA (branched-chain amino acid) supplement helps recovery by aiding muscle synthesis and flushing lactate and doesn't have any wonky affects like pre-workouts can.